Tell me your top 5 favorite COG characters

@Fay Thank you so much! I’m glad you enjoy it! :blush:

2 Likes

Ah, Pendragon Rising. I really can’t get enough of Arthurian variants, and in general, PR was a good one. The only downside is how little branching it has: you can make every single choice in the game in four playthroughs, and other than the arc with Morgan, the game ends more or less the same way. I’m waiting to find a story where he’s a young upstart Dux Bellorum during the twilight of Roman Britain. Dark Age Rome in particular is a very underutilized setting.

I love everyone in Samurai of Hyuga, their character arcs, personalities, etc. Not really their romantic paths, but I’m picky when it comes to romantic subplots.

3 Likes

Mine top 5 would be :
Jenny - Heroes Rise
Carrie - Tin Star
Brigid - Fatehaven
Alana - Aetherian Spell Academy
Nat(e) - Wayhaven Chronicles

3 Likes

Oh, now that would be interesting. Arthur has been the subject of so many different books and movies that there’s not much that hasn’t been done with his story. I think only interactive fiction will be able to bring anything new to it, honestly. Playing as him, sorting out what’s legend and what’s truth and perhaps warring against fate, especially in a largely under-explored era… There’s definitely something there.

Alternatively, playing as Guenevere is equally compelling, especially when written by @jeantown. :eyes:

5 Likes

That, too. There are so many different point of views in the Arthurian legends that aren’t explored as much as Arthur: Guenevere, Merlin, Morgan/Morgana, and even smaller side characters like Kay and Bedevere. Choice of Vortigern anyone?

1 Like

I am 100% in agreement. Jury isn’t just one of my favorite characters in COG he’s one of my favorites period. I also have a huge weakness for enemies to lovers and his romance is just a huge soft spot for me.

7 Likes

Ah, enemies who suddenly become romantic partners. Honestly, plot twists like that make me shook. And I always go for them. Character development is so pleasuring. Even if an antagonist only becomes a comrade or a friend, I’m still gonna be shook, I remember playing a visual novel when the main antagonist suddenly became friendlier and when I had the option to woo them I was like o bOy hOlY gOd oK.

7 Likes

A personal weakness of mine are antagonists with mixed feelings towards the protagonist. Love-hate, hate-pity, or even hate-and-outright-confusion. Seeing all of this emotional turmoil play out in-story? That’s the Good Stuff™.:ok_hand:

7 Likes

Oh yes honey. You never expect it, in the beginning of the story you gave the urge to slap them. But as the story continues, you just wanna hug them. It went from: ‘‘I’M GONNA STAB YOU’’ to ‘‘I WANT YOUR BABIES.’’ And the actual feels and tears when you get to know their backstories and reasons for their actions.

2 Likes

Okay, I am going to need the name of that visual novel because that sounds right up my alley.

And yes! This! All of this is my JAM. I kind of wish there was more of that in games in general, or maybe there is and I just need to play more games. I can think of a few in COG. Jury, of course, but also JJ in Slammed and perhaps Angel in @Scribblesome The Aegis Project. I wasn’t the hugest fan of JJ, but Angel is just :ok_hand:

Edited: I forgot about Hawkins from Mecha Ace!! Also a good Babe right there.

10 Likes

:smirk: It’s good to know there is an audience for the enemy-to-lover trope. (In a completely hypothetical pondering, it’s reaffirming to see that people might enjoy a currently developing villain character arc for a ro in a completely hypothetical Romeo and Juliet game that I am completely hypothetically working on that I hypothetically am considering naming ‘Villians of Verona’. Hypothetically of course. :yum: )

As far as characters go, I am one of many fans of Semryu. I think it has to do with the fact that he wasn’t originally a romantic option, because I think that contributes to how he feels really fleshed out on his own and not a character dependent on the mc’s existence for depth. I loved Haze as well, especially the part where they explicitly told us that they were the lead of their own life. That had me crack a smile.

I am really interested in a lot of wip characters, but very much so from Fawkes (The Seven Heirs) and the list of characters that we haven’t even met yet. Their little blurbs alone have garnered all of my affections and I can’t wait to see how they come to life.

5 Likes

The seven heirs? Oooh. I really love the mechanism and story in that game. I literally squeak of happiness everytime the player gets to decide the character’s looks. Some games just ask you for your name and gender, that’s it. But games that dig a little bit deeper into the character are just :ok_hand:

2 Likes
  1. Carles the Jongleur from Choice of Rebels
  2. Miss Caraway from Tin Star
  3. Valentine from Tally Ho
  4. Mopsie from Tally Ho
  5. San Hawarden from Choice of Rebels
3 Likes

There is definitely no shortage of cool characters in CoGs, but my favorite will always be Lloyd from Star Captain. I love snarky AI sidekicks.

1 Like

In no particular order:

1. Solitary from Slammed!
  2. Madison from Slammed!
  3. Cazarosta from the Infinity series
  4. Sydney from So, You’re Possessed!
  5. Woody from Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven

Seriously why hasn’t anyone mentioned Solitary? He’s so cool

4 Likes
  1. Firebrand (The Hero Unmasked!)
  2. Origami (CCH)
  3. Alexandra (SiS)

…yeah…
(I haven’t played that much, tbh)

miss caraway from tin star
bloodmist from the hero unmasked
dusk from superlatives
orianna from heart of the house
morgana from guenevere

Glad to see so many people love miss caraway :yum:

3 Likes

Mine are:

1. Emma from Zombie Exodus, I prefer characters with mental health issues, they’re often easier for me to relate to, and I just generally love her character.
  2. Casarosta. Not a huge fan of the infinity series, as the story is amazing, but is gender locked male, and when I head canon my mc as myself they are always, useless, cowardly and constantly die. But Casarosta is just brilliant, and…well I’m tempted to say easy to relate to, but someone above described him as ruthless so… :stuck_out_tongue: .
  3. Heather from Zombie Exodus…if you’ve played ZE…well first if you haven’t why not? :open_mouth: it’s amazing. But if you have no explanation is needed here, she is just amazing.
  4. Not Zex Marquees(sp) from Mecha ace. His name isn’t actually Not Zex Marquees :p, but blonde, wears a mask, and his whole character, the author was clearly a huge fan of gundam wing, and so they should be because that show is amazing :stuck_out_tongue: , but yeah just loved their character, especially since they remind me of Zex.
  5. Hmm probably Rachel from Zombie Exodus safe haven (huh…just noticed three of my entries are from ZE and ZESH) you know the score by now, easy to relate to, great character and just really interesting.

Damn me I forgot Emma from Zombie Exodus :scream:

1 Like

My choice:

1. Carrie Caraway ( From Tin Star)
    Yes… just like you i love Carrie, she is my most engaging and loyal Romance Partner thus far … once i chose her as romance partner , and whenever i chose to bring her to accompany me for my missions, there is a lot of intriguing interaction between us , she will always made sensible and caring conversation depending of my choice of interaction … i especially like the scene when she brought me to see her father, when she ultimately display her devotion towards me, and then when i chose to confront the Upton lead raiders via diplomacy / parley, the scene where she hold my hand and tried to convince me not to be foolish is really touching

2. Maria Agustina (From Tin Star)
    Even with limited interaction , the conversation with Maria is both intelligent and heart warming … the author did a very very good writing in depicting Maria with an Aura of Nobility and Serenity… The romancing interaction with Maria is very refreshing , the exact polar opposite with respect to Carrie … the intelligent writing of allowing Maria to engage the Romance interaction with the main character in a calm and nobility manner had stood Maria apart from most Romance Interaction

3. Astrid ( WIP, Keeper of The Sun and Moon)
    Even in the demo, i already love the personality and charming of Astrid… She is just too kind with the main character , which made me vow in secret to protect her from all harms in return , especially from Reyna

4. Oriana ( Heart of The House)
    Oriana is the ultimate charismatic Enigma , a tragic heroine for my opinion

5. Elizabeth (Vampire House)

The scene where Elizabeth force me to carry her books and open the door , while declaring i am living in her house is so memorable