Tally Ho Spoilers Discussion

In my imagined VR version of Tally Ho, I imagine you are in a cozy den, facing Stephen Fry, who is holding a big book, narrating the story to you and looking up at you expectantly as you get to each choice.

16 Likes

Yes, you can.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but can anyone give me pointers for romancing Rory? I usually have them at around 80% after the aunt leaves in the first chapter and then I just slowly lose points. Any advice welcome.

Although I know that this era was a different time for crime and punishment, 20 years of hard labor seems a bit excessive for someone whose main crime is theft (not that it’s canon, but that also seems like an unlikely punishment for a woman in that era, who I was convicted as). I just did it to get the achievement; I don’t think I’ll follow that path again.

2 Likes

Be honest with them (very important). Always have their back as a proper servant should; if you’re abrasive rather than soothing, be careful not to irritate them (e.g. in the first chapter, a soothing servant can discard Rory’s clothes and get away with it, while an abrasive one loses rapport). Don’t be patronising or mean. Last but not least, support Mopsie and Figs.
It’s important you join Rory and Frankincense on the hunt. You don’t need to infiltrate the Mudwasps though, provided you excuse yourself appropriately.

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you so much! Time to go charm some pants off.

2 Likes

@Alpha_Werewolves and anyone who struggled with the race: hello, I’m not sure if the boat race is still giving you a hard time. But, luckily, I emailed CoG my receipt of the game, which gave me access to Ho’s code. I’ll leave behind a guide of the main forks of the race, for you and anyone that might want to see them. Most of the checks are two stats put together (like Bold + Skullduggery, Persuade + Observe and so on), and I’m mostly going to focus on how much you’d need to get the best result.

But, don’t worry, you can still sail your way to victory (or adequate win) by having a little less than the optimal. There’s no need to min-max the best character for it, and doing something good at the start of the race (and using Glenna’s herbs) can give you quite a boost. The guide is just here to show what you what each choice is technically testing. Since the code is long and I trust you gus to pick on what I mean, a few of these are very general explanations of the choices or the stats needed for them. Plenty of paths in the middle fork lead to the same decision where the MC chooses how to handle the police boat after dealing with the Ragamuffins, for example.

Left path: Col. Firesnuff

Branch 1: “I leap over to the Firesnuff and address Col. Firesnuff directly”
Choice 1: “I remind him that the only ones…” (Intellect > 65 and Persuade > 40)
Choice 2: “I stand next to him and consider the battle…” (Intellect + Observe > 120)*
Choice 3: “I’ll push him into the river” (Firesnuff rep > 50 and Abrasive >= 75)**

Branch 2: “I shout for the intervention of the referees” (Renown needs to be bigger than your Suspicion + 20)

Branch 3: Challenge Jabs to single combat
Choice 1: “I attempt to get Jabs to join…” (Persuade + Jabs rep > 120)
Choice 2: “I surrender” (uh… I think you do surrender, and it hurts your team)
Choice 3: Fight Jabs. You win ideally with 70 Bold, and no problems with it. If you have 60, but no 70, the game gives you other chances to take her out: using an illegal move (skullduggery >40), getting help from Frankincense or Rory if they are your partner on the race, or flinging your oar-javelin at her (observe > 50). You can also surrender, if you want to.

*Makes the other rower (Rory, Frankincense, Valentine or Haze) pretty upset with you.
** These lead into different choices, but, with the ideal combo I put above, all of them should work out, I think.

Middle path: The police boat

Part 1: the start.
Choice 1: “I try to reason with the Ragamuffins” (Persuade > 50)
Choice 2: “I pick up a bran muffin” (Bold > 50)
Choice 3: “I try to redirect their wrath” (Skullduggery > 50)

Part 2: the Ragamuffins.
Choice 1: “We must escape at once!” (BoatTough + Bold > 130)
Choice 2: “We must helt the police!” (Observe > 65)
Choice 3: “We must negotiate with The Baker!” (forks into a whole new sub-section)

Part 3: Negotiating with The Baker
Choice 3.1: “You have defeated us” (Skullduggery + Persuade > 120)
Choice 3.2: This one is actually various choices that work similarly. I won’t go into detail, but they all work the same way: if you got the medallion with Haze, you can trade that for safe passage, you can promise the medallion if you don’t have it yet. I think you can also give them Frankincense’s pets too. In all of these, you can offer that stuff as a gift from you and the police, let the police deal with the Ragamuffins themselves or give your boat a head start.
Choice 3.3: “I wish to undergo The Proving”. There’s a whole sub-section about The Proving, too. But, to put it in broad strokes: you can “gorge myself silly” with 60 Bold, realize that the word “consume” has many meanings with 55 Intellect or invite the gang to eat with you in the spirit of fellowship (55 Culture). Like before, you’ll be able to decide the fate of the police’s boat if you get crowned Champion.

Right path: The Cordwainers

Part 1: the start, well, of this fork.
Choice 1: “It would be impolite…” (forks into another path)
Choice 1.1: “It would be bad manners…” (Culture > 70, but you can do it with Culture > 55)
Choice 1.2: “I turn to…” (Soothing > 80)
Choice 1.3: “I embark on a clever speech…” (Intellect > 75)

Choice 2: “I… must resist” (forks into another section)
Choice 2.1: “I attempt to physically pull my crew…” (Bold > 75)
Choice 2.2: “I reason with my crew…” (Persuade > 75)
Choice 2.3: “I destroy the plants and mushrooms…” (Observe > 75)

Choice 3: “I have to help the Cordwainers…” (forks into another path)
Choice 3.1: “I try to inspire the Cordwainers…” (Intellect + Persuade > 130)
Choice 3.2: “I make them angry at me…” (Soothing < 25 and Skullduggery >= 45)
Choice 3.3: “I destroy the plants and mushrooms around them” (Observe > 75, it leads back to choice 2.3)

Part 2: the vision

Choice 1: "I try to focus on what is true here and what is not" (needs Renown > 70 for this one)

Choice 2: "I clear my mind entirely and find a still place within myself" (you need Tranquility > 70 for this one. It's certainly a tough check. You'd need to ace through plenty of situations in the game for this one).

Choice 3: "I try to follow the voice out of this maze" (for this one to work ideally, you need to have more than 70 relationship with whomever you chose at the start of the festival. So if you're rowing with Haze, you need their rep to be more than 70, same with Rory, and so on and so on)

Choice 4: "Love will save me from this maze" (I think you need to bring your romance along with you, and it's done)

Choice 5: "I don't know how to get out" (In true Ho! fashion, you get a choice that allows you to fail. In this case, you lose a "vision" point, which brings disadvantages to you later into the right path.

Aaaand I think those are all the forks. I had to go through plenty of code to build this little guide, so there might be some parts of it that are dificult to read or just plain confusing. In that case, or if I got something wrong, feel free to point it out and I’ll edit it. Or, if you’re a mod, just feel free to polish my post if you like.

10 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Is there anyway to get the hair thing as a gift for Aunt Primrose?Because have spent countless retries trying to get it.

Definitely. You can steal it, fight for it, or argue him out of it.

I have tried all of them to no avail;could you be more specific.

I have also got the hair pin I think. But anyways I have also received it going through the honorable choice. By speaking up that I have reserved it. But I Believe you would have to go with your high star. If you have high skullduggery skill I believe it is called then you can steal it.

1 Like

I think the the stat check requires 2 stats? I’m pretty sure I saw that somewhere. Like, as far as I remember, being honest and saying you reserved it is high persuasion and soothing? And I think stealing it is high skulduggery and agility. I don’t remember the other two at all though.

EDIT: Wait, agility isn’t a stat. I can’t remember what the second stat check is.

EDIT 2: I found the post I was thinking of.

2 Likes

Ok,thanks

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I finally found a way to get Haze to stay when you hold them on the Roman Wall:

1.) Bond with them on the train (2nd class)

-Compliment their hair
-Order wine for the both of you
-Tell them you love Autumn
-The coming of the cool is why
-Let them sleep on your shoulder (You can also gingerly move their head away, it’s only 5% of the score)
-Come back to 2nd class after lunch
-Steal the champagne for them or watch them steal it
-While buying the peridot hairstick, pilfer it from Colonol Firesnuff (optional)

2.) Hunt

-Tell them it would be fun to ride together
-Ride with them
-Accept their invitation to coitus

3.) Dinner
—Get Figs to keep his costume on as much as possible so you can spend time with Haze:

(Whether you’re soothing or abrasive) sit next to them or start a conversation respectively (I sat next to him)
Kiss them after they give you an oak leaf

—But if Figs takes his costume off:

Wink at Haze when they consult you for a talk (optional)
Kiss them passionately when they ask

4.) Roman Wall (ho boy)
—After the Mudswaps event (I did this, not sure for other routes):

-Stay silent/ Greet them joyfully (Forgot which greetings reduce the relationship score)
-Say it was fun
-Tell them that you don’t care about what they do, and that you love them
-Tell them that their imagined scenario was not what you mean in the slightest
-Listen, silently, when they talk about their feelings (it gets pretty dark and sad)
-Hold them (this part really got me, after Haze wondered if the world would be better if he were dead, your hug makes him feel a little better and I just T u T)

—After the spy event with Pixie

Be honest about what you did (went spying)
Tell them you dont care about what they do, you love them
Tell them their scenario was not what you meant in the slightest
Listen
Hold them

–After chasing Galatea

Same as post-spy event, just be honest about chasing Galatea for the key

Sorry if I missed anything or got the post-Galatea/Spy Event choices wrong. I finally got Haze to stay for the hug literally just now and got too excited to replay and check from those scenes.

Edit: Apparently it you only need 66 Soothing to get her to stay lol ._. Whole courting thing was still worth it tho

9 Likes

What you need is 66 Soothing for her to stay, it’s not based on her relationship.

1 Like

Oh I see, thanks!

But that takes all the romance out of it. :wink: Let us say that what you need is a bearing that clearly demonstrates understanding; an embrace that tells Haze that you are here; that you will not leave; that you don’t care what came before and what will come after.

You are here now, as the wind whips past and the the moon peeps out feebly behind the heavy cloud cover, blowing over the top of the Tokay bottle, adding a mournful whistle to the autumn breeze.

You are here, and your warm embrace is healing.

…Or you could say “66.” :maple_leaf:

18 Likes

Nah, better to say to her to get out of it. It is way more funnier.

1 Like

Phew, I almost feel stupid for going through all that effort to get him to stay :unamused: I took the whole night figuring out his character (it was midnight at the time), I even went on Reddit for a few hours to try and understand what it’s like to be bipolar since I’ve never met anyone like Haze before. The story is so well done and I’ve never been so invested in something for so long, you really did an amazing job!

(I started in 2018 but this time I really wanted to constantly get Haze to stay on the Roman Wall :sweat_smile: Love him so much)

6 Likes