Tales of Aurora (WIP)

What got you to make Tales of Aurora

1 Like

Oh, sorry for keeping the question hanging! I’ve been working on something the past bit for my other book, haven’t been checking this thread overmuch. (I really, really still need to finish chapter one, though. Blegh.)

Honestly, what got me to make this was a mixture of planning and impulse. I always knew that I wanted to write a sort of lighthearted, sci-fi romp sorta story. I kicked around a lot of ideas for it, but never really got anything concrete.

Then one particularly stressful night, I found I wanted to write, but didn’t want to work on my current book. So I just sat down for three hours or so and just… Started writing Aurora.

Honestly, a lot of the ideas so far have been improv. I made up a lot of the aliens on the fly, and while I knew roughly where I wanted to start, I didn’t know where it would actually go. Normally I’d be a shamed of that, but for the kind of story I want to tell here, it might actually work. Who knows?

But, that’s the overly-lengthy answer to your question!

4 Likes

Hmm… How long has it been since I updated this, anyways…

Glances to Calendar

Oh… Oh no…

Hey guys! Bad joking aside, while I have no new updates at the moment, I do want to mention that I’ve been working on the next update for Aurora! I’ve been working on finishing the Hangar path, I have the Living Quarters path about a third done, and I’ve been playing around with some new things I could add to the Codex, as well as those new species codex entries I still need to add.

On top of that, I’ve fixed a small handful of the typos and errors I’ve been able to find, so that’s a plus!

I’m kind of hoping it should all be done by the end of either this week or next week, though I have no way to know for sure. Regardless, I hope the size of the update should make up for it’s long wait time.

Either way, thanks for your support and patience!

8 Likes

Hey everyone! The next update for Aurora has just been released! So far, it’s added:

-The full Hangar path is completed
-The Living Quarters path is roughly 1/2 done
-The Codex Entries for the new species are up (minus robot, for now- still debating if that’s even worth adding. Let me know if you have an opinion there.)
-A new codex section has been added: Persons of Note. This is an auto-updating section used to tell you more about the main characters, be it an always-accessible reminder of their appearance, a description of their personality, what type of traits they prefer to see in you, and an automatically updating description of their history as you learn more about them.
-Added in a working save system! Now you can keep whatever fish-out-of-water protagonists you like! Yay!

I really do hope it was worth the wait- I know the writing progress for both of my WIP’s have been really slow, but again, as I’ve said a billion times, thank you again for your patience, and I hope you enjoy!

6 Likes

Awesome I will try to read later this afternoon.

1 Like

Alright! Finally got some work done, and-…

glances to the last timestamp

God, I’m slow.

Update: So, hi, yes! I’m here again, posting an update for this game! I’m happy to report that the Living Quarters path is now fully completed, meaning there’s now two viable ways to end chapter 1, and the path for the Airlock has had a good chunk of it started; enough for you to be able to meet the last of the characters introduced in chapter one, if you’re interested at all in that.

Thank you yet again for your patience and maintained interest, and hopefully I can finish the rest of this chapter quickly. Until then, I hope you enjoy what’s there!

7 Likes

Yay! :relaxed:

Glad to see you alive and posting. Oh, and to see the update too. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m happy to announce that chapter 1 of Tales of Aurora is completely finished, and should be running with minimal errors. Hopefully. :laughing:

Feel free to read through it and let me know what you think! I’m always open to feedback.

4 Likes

Thank you, *cries internally

1 Like

Please note that the previous message was meant to go to the synthetic wasteland thread. My mistake. I think I got a little too excited…

Due to my mistake above, however, it probable is time I posted an update here; just noticed how long it’s been. Yikes.

So, for what people managed to see it before it gets wiped off the face of the planet, I did finish the chapter I was working on for my other story. So, good news there!

News on how this will be progressing, though, is a little up in the air right now. I’m not entirely sure if I want to spend a bit more time focusing entirely on my other WIP, or if I want to spend some time working entirely on this WIP, or if I want to try and split my focus between the two.

I’ll try and get the word out as soon as I can, though! I don’t want Aurora to sit in the dark any longer than it has to. Lord knows I already do that enough to my other WIP. :sweat_smile:

Addendum: I might set up a poll about the issue sometime soon-ish in both of my threads. Maybe tomorrow or the day after, to see what everyone would prefer. If I’m going to spend the entirety of my time working on one story, I’d rather do the one more people want to see. And if everyone asks me to split my focus, I’ll do my best. Until then!

3 Likes

get error : startup line 2229: Non-existent variable ‘emotional’

1 Like

Thanks for telling me about that! Fixed it up.

I really like this story so far and can’t wait to play more.

Props to how many species you created!

And for some reason my mind keeps picturing Chris Pratt as Stardrake :joy:

1 Like

Wh-what? N-no, no…

I mean, it’s not like I based him on Star-Lord or anything… th-that would be silly… hahahaaa :laughing:

Seriously though, thanks for… pretty much everything you just said! I really appreciate it!

3 Likes

You are welcome! I’ll be keeping an eye out for future updates. Your characters are really interesting :slight_smile:

Btw, how did you create so many different species?

1 Like

Honestly, believe it or not, almost every single species I made for this game was improved, except for maybe the Kril, and even they were more of a vague concept.

The way I went about it was that I basically wanted to have humans, and then a species that was supposed to represent one of the stats. Venandi for physique, Umbrals for guile, Reno for wit, etc…

Most of the details for the species came about when I spent time explaining -why- they were good at those particular stats. Then I kinda just went from there. Umbrals are a good example; they spend a lot of time hiding and being in the shadows, so I figured, they would probably be good at that if their species depended on it, or if it were part of their culture somehow.

Reno are all good at wit because the cybernetics that make them smart are necessary for them to survive.

You know, stuff like that. Sorry if this is long and rambly and doesn’t make sense, I’m only a few minutes from going to bed. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No, no! THANK YOU for the long reply. I was actually really interested in your creation process and it really helps if one day I want to create an alien species.

I actually thought you would blow me off with a vague reply, so this is really appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vague reply? Never! Why, I’ll talk your ear off about this stuff if I had a mind to. :laughing:

I’m really happy that you’re interested, though! I’m always willing to answer questions, or talk shop, or just shoot the breeze with people if I have the time to, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when someone considers me good enough to draw inspiration from; I don’t even consider myself good enough to be worthy of that, honestly.

So, in short, thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

Aw, that’s awesome!
But hey, don’t push yourself down. I’m pretty sure you are someone worthy of drawing inspiration from. Like I said, you made many different species and enjoyable characters. That’s no easy feat for anybody! Heck, in fact. Tell me some of your character creations tomorrow (since you are goigg to bed).

1 Like