Supra Humanum (WIP - Minor update 4/2/18 - Starting Chapter 2)

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

My thread was closed?

I canā€™t let this story die! So, good news! My semester is almost over and thanks to some beta work, inspiration is visiting me once more. Expect to see new stuff before the end of April.

21 Likes

Yaay possible birth month suprise
:grin:

2 Likes

this was fun demo:heart_eyes:

I have a minor update thatā€™s set to be uploaded soonish, when I have a chance to run through it. Iā€™m going to try for more substantial updates once finals are over.

@Takashi_Shin - Thanks for the comment. ::slight_smile:

10 Likes

Same here! Yay April!

Good Luck! Hope you pass with flying colors!

1 Like

I know once upon a time I said that I would do full chapter updates. Now that graduate research has his me between the eyes, Iā€™m going to post what I have, when I make new content. So, enjoy everyone.

8 Likes

Continued

1 Like

Yeah, I think I havenā€™t finished all of the scenes for the attacks at the end. Iā€™ll try to mark them and reupload.

2 Likes

Hello dear readers,

I have not been idle over the past month or so. While I have made a bit more headway on Supra, I have come to a conclusion. The scale that I would like to take Supra to is too large for the time that I can invest while Iā€™m working on my research. So, Iā€™m shelving Supra for now.

However, not all is lost. Iā€™m still going to be writing. In fact, I will be announcing another project soon. This one will be a shorter story, with fewer characters and variables for me to juggle. So, stay tuned.

Also, if anyone wants to chat with me about AI, or have other questions about this world, feel free to chat. (Just please donā€™t ask when I will pick Supra back up. Itā€™ll probably be over a year, at least.) until I get my new thread going.

Thanks!

10 Likes

ā€¦is this research confidential and if not can we know the gist of it?

Sure!

That is the exact field that Iā€™ve wandered into. Recently, there has been more research into iPads being used as tools for Augmentative and Alternative Communication. However, what I see as a relatively untapped option is trying to use Siri, Alexa, Cortana, etc. as a means to teach children with disabilities (autism is my focus) various social skills, etc.

Iā€™m not there yet, but that is my goal. In the meantime, Iā€™m working on apps on iPads and such. Itā€™s also my goal to start getting practice in public speaking (so, I might start going to conferences) and getting into some publications. I enjoy it, but itā€™s definitely keeping me busy.

7 Likes

Did you see the new Google Assistant that makes actual phone calls and appointments for you?
I think that itā€™s so awesome to see this happening, a lot of good stuff may come from this

1 Like

The story seems interesting! Loving all the hi-tech, combat scenes, and the fact that the AI has a moral compass XD Found some errors, but most of them seem to be pronoun issues:

Typos/Errors

(I chose for the AI to identify as male) A few more of thoseā€¦

The next one is a scene of Rhino

ā€œcameraā€ should be plural

Should be ā€œsilenceā€

The sentence after speaking with the AI is also in italics, and it should be ā€œmyā€

They were just minor errors and didnā€™t impede my enjoyment of the story, though :slight_smile: Looking forward to more!! :smile:

1 Like

Sounds very promising. If you need practice with public speaking you may want to look for a Toastmasters branch in your area.

I did, actually. My ASD son loves watching commercials on YouTube. Since AIs like Alexa and Assistant are things he interacts with often, I get to see a lot of their commercials.

What interests me right now is that corporations are ahead of the game a little bit when working with typically developing children. Amazon recently introduced a version of their Echo Dot with kids in mind. Now, this opens up a whole bunch of privacy related issues that could be an entirely separate conversation but I do like the idea of kids utilizing the technologyā€¦ Especially with kids with autism especially since studies show (and Iā€™ve witnessed) that these kids are predisposed to tech. I even like the fact that an update was released that encourages kids to use their manners when speaking with Alexa, something that Iā€™ve been working on already, even without software. http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/parenting/ct-life-parenting-alexa-rudeness-20180509-story.html

Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to take their tech and adapt it. However, I keep imagining me being the grad student in Choice of Robots, but instead of making a robot with an AI, Iā€™m just writing the software of something for my own uses instead.

Thank you very much. One day, I will finish this thing. :slight_smile:

I used to do Toastmasters when I was a kid, but I turned into a serious introvert over 20 years and lost it. Fortunately for me, I know the public speaking teacher on campus, as well as a professor who teaches it in another school one town over. Theyā€™ve said they would assist me if I do land a speaking spot somewhere.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think one of the main issues right now is user privacy, especially with what happened with facebook.
I also read the article that talked about the AIā€™s filling the need for human interaction that we humans have, and that was pretty interesting, do you also study that?
Either way, it still seems like itā€™s really going to be a useful feature for many users, I myself am looking forward to using it.