Sovereign Reality (WIP w/ Demo)

Well I think of it as a “personal” taint. If you feel that you might be violating some code of ethics, but you’re fine with it, then you may be more gray than someone who firmly believes that they are in the right.

I just think of it this way. Who are you hurting? You aren’t hurting the AI by reciprocating their feelings. You aren’t hurting yourself by having a loving relationship… albeit one with more likelihood of a painful end sooner rather than later, and isn’t self sacrifice widely considered noble anyway? You may be hurting some irrational moral arbiter who bases morality on some arbitrary set of rules passed down from a time when morality as we know it did not exist, but only if they find out. What they don’t know literally won’t hurt them.

Love the game so far. A question i have for you is if you’ve ever read Mogworld by Yatzee Crosshaw? Because the basic premise with the npc’s is basically the plot of that book except in the perspective of an npc.
Anyway, I like all of the stats and the writing is really good so keep it up.

@Shoelip I agree with you. *I* do, but I want to leave it open for others, heh. But yeah, that’s exactly the sentiment. Who are you hurting? No one.

@TheWaffle Thank you! I haven’t read that but it sounds really interesting! I’ll check it out!!

@CitizenShawn lovin this game so far. Reminds me of an anime called Sword Art Online so tha’s what i call the game

@CitizenShawn lovin this game so far. Reminds me of an anime called Sword Art Online so tha’s what i call the game

Sorry my internet bugged out there and posted my comment twice

@Boman19 So you decided to make a third post in as many minutes to apologize for it? :stuck_out_tongue:

@boman thanks! On my second post I’m this thread I acknowledge similarities to SAO. It’s a pretty good show :slight_smile:

@shoelip c’mon man, where’s the harm? It’s not like he’s posting a bump every five minutes. Let’s not be “forum people”…

1 Like

I really like it and the ai element actually makes me think on my choices. To me, any intelligent life that makes actions to preserve said life is alive (of course that’s just me. Shoelip or others may not give a damn)

@that1german You haven’t read any of my posts here have you? :-\

@that1germam thanks! I thought it would be pretty boring with “NPCs” that are just scripted. I mean they are scripted by me, but they’re meant to be “alive” so there’s some story there. Otherwise it really would just be a text based RPG with two settings and no real life consequences for your actions.

Er… To be fair, I found the discussion a littlr bit confusing myself.

Anyway, this seems like it’ll be a fun gamebook when it’s finished. Looking forward to meeting more characters.

I think I got an error? Playing as a male tester playing a female pc who looks completely different besides similar body types, Cory still recognized my character and I got this “If you were going to lie about your true identity, you might have changed your avatar’s face a little” after acting as if I didn’t know what he was talking about.

Found a mistake
“After a few rounds with the dummy Tenzin picks up a practice sword and begins to spar with you.”
Should be a comma between dummy and Tenzin… Unless your referring to Tenzin as a dummy

Your concept is refreshing and interesting, I think this game made it into my top 5 of WIPs :slight_smile:

Am I right to assume that the Hunger Games should be listed among your inspirations?

I’m not good at spelling and I’ll leave it to the others, here are my notes on other aspects so far:

After playing many times, I think you should add a savescene somewhere, so I could return to a later point then the beginning. I think at the moment when the MC enters Anreal would be best.

The gender and name selection is a bit confusing, first of all, the name selection comes before the gender selection but has some gendered names like Jessica or Mike, it’s a bit odd to get the question about gender after selecting one of these names. I therefore think the gender selection should come first. Also, all these names are typical medern english names, for a game set in a distant future, I’d expect more diverse name options.

If I select gender Undeclared, the avatar’s gender is always described as gender-bent version of the MC implying it’s the MC’s real gender is the opposite. Also, why can’t the Avatar have an undefined gender?

The stats ar a bit confusing as they don’t make it clear if they reflex the real MC or the avatar.

Does it give any benefits to select other body types then muscular for the avatar?

There are only six relationship bars, I think there should be at least 11 for all other players, and more for the important AIs. Particualry Flurry deserves an own relationship bar, Ithink the decision to spare or kill him should have important consequences how he’ll behave towards the MC later.

At the beginning, the MC can go to Tenzin’s dojo but not to buy any weapons from the blacksmiths, I think there should be a possibility to do this.

There should be a possibility to battle Aurelius Tiburon, the MC might be someone who loves to kill, and doesn’t care about Anreal and the AIs, why shouldn’t s/he try to kill him?

@WulfyK, I don’t see many connections between this and Hunger Games, although, I never really cared for it enough to read the books

@Doctor I think @WulfyK is mistaking references to typical reality show setups in general for a reference to a specific fictional example of one.

@Caligae Thanks! That’s a very recent addition and I haven’t worked out the kinks. Namely, adding ungendered and male/female avatars was likely one of the problems, but I need to rework that bit of code. Thanks again!

@Doctor Thanks for playing! I’ll fix that comma sure enough!

@WulfyK Thanks a lot! SERIOUSLY! Your post really helped! I should change the names, and I’ll work out the gender-before-names thing soon, I just didn’t want to write two code sections for that. But let me address some questions/comments:

Hunger Games is most definitely NOT on my list (haven’t read or seen the movies)…but you can replace that heinous reference with Battle Royale no problem :wink:

The body types don’t provide a bonus; you can still be a Fighter but be skinny. But they do affect your honesty, and there will be scenes where you, for example, “push with your well-muscled arms” or “push with your fat arms.” It’s just flavor. I may, however, change it to provide a certain strength/speed bonus, unless you pick “average,” in which case it does nothing. But not too much, since there are several opportunities to increase stats and barely any to decrease them.

Ungendered person was a new option I added, and it doesn’t really fit into the game in any special way yet. I guess I decided to leave the “male”/“female” avatar decision that way because that’s how Sovereign would design the game. I guess you could choose whichever avatar your character feels most comfortable with, but I didn’t plan on making a unisex avatar option…is that something I need to change?

Actually, I have no idea how to do a savescene. Is it just duplicating all my variables and making an option to return to that scene with those variables? If there’s a specific jscript mod or something, do you think you could help me figure out how, or link me to a post that shows how to do it? I would be very grateful!

As for relationships, that’s something I’ve discussed and I definitely want to have a stat bar for every other Alpha-tester, and some key NPCs. It’s going to happen, it’s just going to take some time to develop characters and personalitis for each Alpha-tester.

I didn’t have an opportunity to visit blacksmiths because I think I imagined the characters having zero money to start out. I might change that too.

Finally, Aurelius is a big bad boss. He would destroy the characters if you challenged him to combat. That’s why I didn’t have an option to fight him. Maybe I should have an option to fight him and then have the player humiliatingly beaten, or even killed, and have them have to reset? Or maybe I can just write him a little more intimidating to start with.

Thanks again, and I’m glad you enjoyed it! It’ll take me a while to iron out those changes, so I’ll post an update when it’s done.

@CotizenShawn, I guess it’s pretty good when that’s all I can scrounge up for errors- Great game so far, I love it