SLAM DUNK: Sports Simulation/Slice of life rpg [WIP]

@nine sorry man was not expecting it, but it could be a dropbox issue as i had to wait about 15min to play again

@trask84 Ah ok - could be… the code for winning/losing is identical regardless of who team you play - and I’ve definitely lost playing against the purple team (many times!)

But there are 8 different losing results though so maybe one of them is mis-aligned - I will have another look at it though…

i been meaning to ask you will there be a lot of variables in the recruiters scene like if you win all three games all of the teams will ask you to play for them and their head coach will come to you personally and tell you the advantages playing for their team and like in the top college their team is best invidual and they can scores easly themselve while the lower teams second and lower promises to build a team around you to win state champions?

which brings to my second question how will you sort out the matches for the whole year and mix it with the college life like friends romances and how you generaly behave yourself with your teamates in and outside the field?

and since it is college will there be school stuff to?

Hey @nine , when are you planning to release this?

This was awesome!

I loved the basketball match, learning to play to your strengths and the different stats.

If off-court part if the game is as good as the basketball matches, then this would be a fantastic game.

@djma46
basically yes - you will also be able to try for a walk on spot at a better college if you’re not happy with the offer you get after the trials… may not work though!

don’t know exactly… haven’t done it yet!

yup - probably - although don’t ask me to define “school stuff”!

@DJ_CUTY
Not for a while… this is *only* a hobby as opposed to something that might get me $-) so I can’t spend all day every day on it (sadly!) … there is a good chunk of code that I don’t even know is possible or if it IS possible it is way fiddly - I mean just coding a fully working league table is pain in the neck… at least it is when I’ve thought about how it might actually work practically - I mean just in terms of wins if blue > gold and blue > silver and blue > white means I put blue at the top of the list but then I’ve got to write the same for gold / white / silver… and then all the different possible combos - and what happens if a team is tied… and that is just 4 teams - what about a league of 8 or 10!!! @-)

@ThatDamnFox :"> Thanks! I hope I can do justice to the off court stuff - as I said before there’s just lots of stuff to do first… I mean if the basketball simulation isn’t good (and the basic basketball stuff around it - stats / league leaders for the rookie of the year competiton (oops - spolier alert!) / news reports on what the other teams did - OH YEAH and coding a proper system so that NPC teams get realistic scores against each other…) then the off-court stuff wont really matter… at least IMHO!

Much love

p.s: I meant what I said about people collaborating on this - I’m more than happy for people to pitch in as much as possibly - realistically it would be hard for me to achieve what I want to achieve without help!

Love basketball even though I’m not that great at it x3
Here are my stats from my most recent game

NAME: Jason Law
HEIGHT: 6 feet 3 inches
POSITION: Point Guard
PLAYSTYLE: All Around
STATS:
Offence: 75
Defence: 25
Technical: 75
Physical: 25
Your trial history
Game 1: 12 - 10 : WIN
Game 2: 11 - 9 : WIN
Game 3: 11 - 10 : WIN
After the trials your current recruitment rank would be 1 out of a lowest possible 8.

Games were fun and since I was a point guard I had my hands in each point we scored (which I love). My actual playstyle is mostly pass first with huge focus on teamplay.

First game was rather simple and fast. Was a close game from start to finish with both teams doing a run and gun for 2 pointers eventually leading to a 12-10 win, scoring the wining point with a slam dunk off of a screen by my SG.

Second game was a bit harder. Lost the tip but with a good rounded defence we were able to stop their offence and had gained the lead 5-0. Then out of nowhere everyone on their team is sinking 3 pointers. We traded points until I barely scratched by with an alleyoop pass to my PF ending the game at 11-9.

Third game was realy hard. Lost the tip but we were able to stop them. They however stoped us as we both are still 0-0. They are the first to score and then we start trading shots til we are trailing by two points 6-8. They score their 10th point and we answer back with the score at 8-10. They are about to win but then me and our PF double team and trap their PF leading to a turnover. Now with the possesion I doubt we will be able to stop their attack again so we need to score a 3. Run the motion offence, I get the ball again and I see our SG cutting to the basket. I ignore him and continue playing motion offence until I am wide open and given the pass by our C. Wide open 3 pointer drained with seconds to spare… WAS AWESOME.

Will be waiting for this game heheheh.
Kinda hoping to get into the slice of life stuff as well… But I can wait for that xD

If anyone wanted to know my full stats I will post them.

@SpitfireEX Glad you liked it - and very impressed by the game reports…

Fun Fact: 1 in 100 three pointers get called back for a foot on the line (and only count for two points instead) Bet you would have been REALLY angry if that had happened on your last shot huh?

@Nine If my 3 pointer had been contested and changed to a 2 point play I would’ve been… realy pissed lol xD

Thanks, since you stated earlier to post the game info I thought you might’ve liked to see a play by play… Tried to do that but it became too long so I tried to sumarise the major stuff and the winning shot. (I got two of them Lol xD Which is funny because out of all the games I think I only shot the rock about… 3-4 times, all of them scored though xD)

@SpitfireEX As Coach Kline always says… “It’s not how many you get, its when you get them!”

@nine I’ve played this game so many times, and even though I love the game, I get very frustrated when I lose (which is almost every time)! I do think you need to make it a bit easier, and have the opponent not be so op.

@Davo

Is it because you got you tactics right but it just wasn’t your day? (just unlucky with the randomness)

Are you trying the same tactics but with different positions? (which won’t always work - different positions need different tactics)

Are you trying the same stats with different positions? (again won’t always work - different positions benefit from having different starting skills)

The intro is *meant* to be hard - I often get 3 losses and I *should* know the best tactics for each position - which makes it feel really REALLY sweet when you eventually win like @SpitfireEx did above… (Game 1: 12 - 10 : WIN Game… 2: 11 - 9 : WIN… Game 3: 11 - 10 : WIN)

Having said all this - I still need to redo the player creation / starting skills as it’s not balanced - some players are not as “good” as others - it doesn’t quite work like it should… so it will change a bit… who knows - maybe I make it even harder innit? >:)

@nine You probably need to lower the difficulty a wee bit. I was leading by two points; 4-2, and shoot everytime we took possession but then the opposition started scoring three-pointers like there was no tomorrow, meaning three of those in a row. I mean that’s pushing it a bit, even for professionals. We lost 10-11. And that was the first game! It is either that or make our team better.

Otherwise, great game. I love these sport simulations, first Slammed! then this. Is anyone doing a game for UFC or FIFA?

How do I tell a teammate to shoot a three-pointer? Is the only way to get a three-pointer by trying to make the shot yourself? I feel like my passes to the shooting guard are being wasted. (">_<)

@nine ok ok - I’ll look into it for the next update… (spoiler alert - on the one hand it kinda doesn’t matter if you do well or badly - you can have a glorious college career regardless of who recruits you) …but in the meantime just enjoy the gruelling difficulty people! :smiley:

@DragonTrainer13 You know I was kinda hoping no one would spot that - it’s actually tricky to code that specific thing, the way I first built the simulation (see lengthy link http://www.choiceofgames.com/forum/discussion/comment/86919#Comment_86919 to explain) except that I got one small but important fact wrong…

Oh and e) where the ball is Nope - doesn’t do that, it just tracks where you are - it doesn’t *know* which of your team-mates is which when shooting. So everyone hits a two… I suppose I could put a code in that when a player cuts to the basket you can tell them to keep going and flare out for a 3 point shot… that may be a quick and dirty way to add that function.

It’ll be something to add when I look at the rebuild of the simulator - but I don’t have the heart to rebuild it all again from scratch *just* yet… it took a while and I’m just getting a breather!

It is posible to get a team mate to hit a 3 (or atleast I have been able to do that). I don’t remember what posistions you can do that but I believe it is your Centers and your Power Forwards.

When a team mate has the ball beyond the arc you can encourage them to shoot and prepare for the rebound if they miss. I’ve done that with as a Center multiple times (Won all three games with that Center but I don’t have the stats to show… was a few days ago)

Thing about it is that it is best to encourage them when they are open but I believe they will shoot that without being told to so just prepare for the rebound if you are a Center or a Forward (Guards can rebound to but it is a low possibility if you built your Guards towards their strengths/playstyle)

@SpitfireEx Actually that’s right! You can do that when your MC is a C or a PF (oops #-o man I don’t even know my own game!) Cheers fella!

I would prefer it if you lowered field goal percentages across the board. Keep track of field goal percentages next time you are playing. Overall, my team shot 56%. The opposing teams shot 78%. Those numbers have happened to me on a regular basis, whether for my team or the other team.

Honestly, I would prefer a more in-depth training session that determines your stats so you could create some intriguing prospects. I would prefer running specific offensive drills (that may affect one or two stats) rather than some generic offensive drill.

NAME: Greg Monroe
HEIGHT: 6 feet 11 inches
POSITION: Centre
PLAYSTYLE: All Around

STATS:
Offense: 50
Defense: 75
Technical: 25
Physical: 50

Your trial history
Game 1: 11 - 9 : WIN
Game 2: 1 - 11 : LOSS
Game 3: 6 - 11 : LOSS

After the trials your current recruitment rank would be 7 out of a lowest possible 8.

It seems like defense is limited in its usefulness as well. Some plays the opposing team will immediately jack up a shot and make it leaving my defense stats useless on that play. On offense, your stats play a role based on what you choose. I am not saying to change anything, it’s just an observation I made.

I have replicated the bug that made my player so godly, by the way. When you reach the end of the game, if you select the option where you play as a new character the stats do not reset.

I got my slam dunking up to 180% lol! Here is the godly play through.

NAME: Derrick Rose
HEIGHT: 6 feet 3 inches
POSITION: Point Guard PLAYSTYLE: All Around

STATS:
Offense: 25
Defense: 50
Technical: 50
Physical: 75

Your trial history
Game 1: 12 - 3 : WIN
Game 2: 12 - 0 : WIN
Game 3: 11 - 7 : WIN

After the trials your current recruitment rank would be 1 out of a lowest possible 8.

EDIT:
Ran into a bug at the end where there are no selectable options on the page where the reporter responds by saying “Well, you had a good day”. I won the first game, lost the second, and won the third.

@gameover Overall, my team shot 56%. The opposing teams shot 78%.

Was it your shooting that drops the blue team shooting% or was it your team-mates shooting?

I would prefer running specific offensive drills (that may affect one or two stats) rather than some generic offensive drill.

Any suggestions of drills to run and stats to be affected would be appreciated!

It seems like defense is limited in its usefulness as well. Some plays the opposing team will immediately jack up a shot and make it leaving my defense stats useless on that play.

Well that can be true - you can only really defend the ball if your opponent has it… or if you choose to double team… or play help man to man and cover a team-mate who is being driven on. If your opponent doesn’t get the ball that possession… or there isn’t an opportunity to double team… or the opposing team doesn’t drive past your team-mate… in real life there really isn’t much you can do apart from box out your opposite number!

There are places where defence is important - particularly if you are playing double teaming or playing help defence - and style of play comes into it… you wouldn’t have dropped that heartbreaker in Game 2 (1 - 11 : LOSS) I don’t *think* if you had made different choices with regards to the defensive aspect of your MC

I got my slam dunking up to 180% lol! Here is the godly play through.

Well that ship has sailed my friend! I have fixed that so it goes back to the beginning properly - incidentally anything over 120 on most stats is redundant as the biggest check will be out of 120… and in fact with Slam Dunk skill anything over 100 is redundant. Enjoy the 12-0 though! You won’t often see that line coming out of Coach Kline’s mouth!

Ran into a bug at the end where there are no selectable options on the page where the reporter responds by saying “Well, you had a good day”. I won the first game, lost the second, and won the third.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou ALL fixed and I also spotted typo in the text if you have a women MC.

All in all 3 bugs fixed in about 10 mins… How’s that for service? B-)

P.s: Seriously though… REALLY thank you for your in depth playing and dissecting - can’t get real feedback without someone really taking each bit apart and investing their time into it! ^:)^

@GameOver have sent you a PM