SLAM DUNK: Sports Simulation/Slice of life rpg [WIP]

@nine Are we going to have a mascot later on? And choose whether to bully them or stick up for them? I would love that.

I won my three games after my second try and I don’t see myself losing any more because I know how to get high stats thanks to me lucking out the second time. I think the real problem is how easy it is to get high stats.

@gameover yeah I was wondering about that - how DID you get those stats? *peer*

@trollhunterthethird Doh! Mascots… of course! (will definitely look to add for comedy moment/moral decision in future)

@nine
4//5 :stuck_out_tongue: since the app store rating is out of 5… and what do you mean…? This was good

@dj_cuty the diction level is only moderate, some parts can get mildly redundant.

Any suggested changes would be very welcome… I’m all about the self improvement me!

@nine
yeah but that doesn’t mean you can’t be a writer:/

@DJ_CUTY sure but I might need a bit more work than others! :smiley:

@nine
not at all! I gave you a four, meaning your book is on par with the best of CoG and better than over half of their 35 books, in my opinion

@DJ_CUTY :open_mouth: (not sure whether to follow that with a B-) or a $-) !)

I have no idea how I got those stats I did. I can’t seem to replicate it now lol.

@Gameover I *think* you may have been creating a player when I did some updates to that chapter - so when you checked your stats it reloaded everything and gave you double points! Its a bit harder when you play without the Godmode eh?

here a a suggestion remove the random generator or tweak it so it dont block your what you are good at that often but what your weak at more often.

@djam46 well I’ll going to have to re-write the game model at some point - I’ll see what I can do to have another look at it…

You know though - it IS random… totally random… (maybe your computer just hates you? ) =))

which is why i have an issue with it, it should not be totally random when you high stats and still get a fifty fifty if you actually make it should be more than that like 70-30 or less based on stats and what is you wheelhouse

and also maybe my pc does hate me :((

can anyone guess whats wrong with this text

BLUE TEAM : 5 - 2 : PURPLE TEAM
SHOT CLOCK : 25

The opposition centre is dribbling the ball in the corner, whilst you are covering their shooting guard. Coach Kline paces the sidelines.

The centre goes for a shot and scores a three pointer!

i have never seen a center can score a three pointer likes it nothing

another reason to remove that fiend know as random generator

and aslo anytime you have a significant lead they always pull a three pointer out of nowhere

@djma46 Actually it isn’t a 50:50… if you have 70% 3pt and are wide open / not dribbling (which is a 20% bonus) you will score 9 outta 10… on average… but averages are just that… so you could take 10 shots and miss all ten in a row… quite unlikely but it can happen…

Having said this though it may help for you to see why it ended up that way and
I mentioned this before I *think* briefly but here goes the fullest explanation…

The way the simulation was written I took a *slight* shortcut… what happens is that it doesn’t actually know where the opposition players *should* be and so it lets any player take any shot… and the opposition team gets a fixed shot percentage across the whole team as opposed to each indivdual player getting their own shot percentage - so that anyone on the team has the same % to score depending on certain conditions (if they are wide open / defended well etc) no matter what position. (I know but believe me when I say it was quite daunting to start to code for 10 different players with different stats when I had a blank screen in front of me and hadn’t even tried to make a simulation from scratch - I mean I didn’t even know I would get to where it is now!)

Having said this = You’d think that a way to stop your issue from happening is to stop a big guy from shooting from outside but its not that easy… The game only checks a) which team has the ball b) if BLUE - do you have the ball or does a team-mate c) if BLUE - are you marked by a defender or are you wide open d) if OPPOSITION - does the player you are marking have the ball or is it someone that your team-mate is marking (ie: do “you” have the ball or does a team-mate - its the same check but then reversed onto the opposition). Oh and e) where the ball is. That’s the crux of it, the simulation is based on ball position first and then whoever happens to hold it follows…

Also because it isn’t tracking everyone’s stats completely, the simulation doesn’t care who exactly shoots the ball… all it cares is a) did it go in b) was it worth 2 or 3 pts c) was it the MC d) was it BLUE team e) was it OPPOSITION (again with some exceptions) and so then if it is someone who might not be likely to score the simulation goes… *shrug*

I *know* it seems a silly way to do it looking back but it saved me defining where each individual player was at any one time - I have thought out a better way of doing it for the future matches… at least in my head… ish - but I haven’t tried it yet!

Also - the trials (on one level) are irrelevant and meant to be a bit random and its ok to lose 3 games in a row and occasionally you’ll get lucky and win 3 in a row (it will be even harder when I normalise the starting stats…

Did you know there are (approx) 1580 different combinations of MC that can be chosen (not including an extra random tweak to all the players which I can’t remember if it is still in the code or not)… house that for choice and replayability?

Much love
D

P.s: i have never seen a center can score a three pointer likes it nothing

May I introduce you to Maute Bol - 7’7" Sudanese centre for the Philadelphia 76’ers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45czWPhWQOI 6 from 10 is nothing to be sniffed at (in one half mind you!)

(edit - I don’t make much sense at the best of times so this was particularly hard to write - plus it made me laugh that it embedded a youtube clip - sorry if it is naughty but didn’t know it would do that!)

@djma46 I’m sure in terms of simulation that can be done relatively easily!

But from the point of view the story - that probably doesn’t make sense - you wouldn’t be able to tell another team / player at the trials to go easy on you… they’re all there for the same reason as you - to play the best they can and get recruited by the best team possible!

okay got a 503 error after losing to the purple team

There are a handful of Centers that can knock down the three (Bonner and Frye are the first ones that come to mind, I could think of more if you need me to), even more so at the college level. The NBA has such weak Centers these days that some players whose natural position is Power Forward are playing the Center position effectively. Power Forwards tend to have more range than Centers so it is becoming more and more common.

Yeah, without those stats, the game is more challenging. The first time I played I won two out of three very close games.

Maybe you could select a difficulty when you start the beginning of the game, as in the introduction to Slammed.

@Trask84 *grrr* sorry to hear that - still getting those gremlins out of the system! Can you remember what the last line you saw was?