"Siege of Treboulain"—Defend your magical city from invaders!

Wow, thank you so much! I’ll have to make the time soon to listen to that whole interview, but I did watch the first few minutes just now, and I am profoundly relieved to discover that I’ve been pronouncing “Treboulain” correctly in my head all this time.

2 Likes

Oh, this will be fun to watch and read! Thankee.

…and, unlike @AletheiaKnights , I did not pronounce it correctly. I sounded way too French. I’m not French. I don’t even speak French.

2 Likes

Ha! There’s no wrong way to say it, in my opinion. Personally, I kinda like when people put their own spin on things, and - to make a broader point - I think the beauty of text adventures is that you leave a lot of room for individual interpretation.

But maybe I’m just covering my butt, because I’ve probably pronounced ‘Treboulain’ in like 3 different ways myself.

5 Likes

Either sound like a great option to me!

Okay, I may have lied just a little bit. I definitely pronounced it like a French word when I first saw it in the Upcoming Releases post. But by the time it actually came out, my pronunciation had taken a turn for the … anglophonic? Is that even a word? I pronounced it more Englishly, which probably isn’t a word either, but you get the gist.

2 Likes

close! Linguistic anglicisation is a thing whereby loanwords can be altered in spelling or pronunciation to better match the rest of the english language

1 Like

Oh, duh, Aletheia, you know that word!

Thanks for helping me talk more gooderer.

1 Like

of course! I love words and telling other people about them, although I realize it often comes off snooty and pedantic :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Same here! Snooty pedants for the win! (And that’s peh-dants, not pee-dants, thank you very much.)

I’ve personally been pronouncing it “treh-bo-lann” out loud but “treh-bo-lenn” in my head. Incidentally, I am both French and English in descent.

I got the letters confused and thought it was treloubain this whole time.

I’m not sure what kind of pronounciation it would be, but I always pronounced it ‘treh-boo-lane’.

Since I guess this is the topic now, I have been pronouncing it as /ˈtɹɛ.bu.ˌleɪ̯n/ which in my idiolect is realized as [ˈt̠ɹ̠̥ɛ.bʏ.ˌlɛjn].

Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Whatever decisions I make in the game , someone or the other doesn’t seem to be happy. Either my kingdom’s people or the soldiers or Heartstone or Demi Flores. Seem to keep losing respect or authority.:pleading_face::pensive:

1 Like

I think that’s part of the point. Just like a real-life head of state, you can’t make everyone happy all the time. You’re surrounded by individuals and factions with legitimate interests that sometimes come into conflict, all of these individuals and factions can either help you or harm you. You as Monarch have to decide what your priorities are, where you can compromise and where you have to stand firm. It’s possible to achieve a balance where no one is too terribly disappointed in you in the end, but you’ll have to let most of them down once or twice along the way. Or you can focus all your energy in a couple areas and hope that makes up for the areas you’ve necessarily had to neglect. But there is no choice you can make that everyone’s going to approve of.

5 Likes

Thought it might be something like that :thinking:. Thanks @AletheiaKnights

1 Like

Whats the best way to fight against the arsonists- vines or weapons or what?

I went for vines because I had good Arborturgy, but it’ll depend on what your highest stats are. If you’ve got a lot of Strength, weapons are probably better (I wouldn’t know as I was a weakling the whole time and mostly used magic to get me out of situations :laughing:)

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

This game was already good, but the extra add-ons just made it even better. Thanks and great job.

1 Like