"Siege of Treboulain"—Defend your magical city from invaders!

We’re proud to announce that Siege of Treboulain , the latest in our popular “Choice of Games” line of multiple-choice interactive-fiction games, is now available for Steam, Android, and on iOS in the “Choice of Games” app.

It’s 33% off until April 21st!

Defend your magical city from an invading army! Use swords, spells, and strategy to save your people, lead them to glory, and build a legacy for the ages.

Siege of Treboulain is a 280,000-word interactive epic fantasy novel by Jed Herne. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Treboulain rests on the power of arborturgy, the magic that governs plants and all growing things. With the recent death of your mother, the Queen, you now sit on the Throne of Thorns, the nightmarish chair of royalty that extracts blood from whoever dares to sit upon it.

When a ruthless army of horse warriors besieges the towering walls of Treboulain, will you take to the walls yourself, inspiring the soldiers with your own martial might and stirring speeches? Will you command the defense from a distance, using your sharp tactical mind? Or will you draw upon the vast powers of nature itself, strangling your enemies with barbed vines?

Should you fill the moat with traps, train elite magicians, or recruit mercenaries for a surprise attack? How will you manage your dwindling resources? And what will you do when deadly conspiracies begin to come to light, threatening to shake your reign–and your city–to its very core?

• Play as male, female, or non-binary; gay, straight, bi, or asexual.
  • Choose from three distinct backstories – magician, warrior, or scholar – and lend your skills to the defense of your city.
  • Command soldiers, plan tactics, and fight in everything from one-on-one duels to massive, history-shaking battles.
  • Wield the magic of plants through the art of arborturgy.
  • Manage the city’s politics, balancing the conflicting needs of priests, merchants, and commoners against those of the military.
  • Uncover the secrets of the past through flashbacks to learn more about your city and your foe.
  • Find love or friendship with a brave warrior, a wise priestess, a cunning merchant, or a talented artist.

Let the legends say that this was Treboulain’s bravest hour!

We hope you enjoy playing Siege of Treboulain. We encourage you to tell your friends about it, and recommend the game on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and other sites. Don’t forget: our initial download rate determines our ranking on the App Store. The more times you download in the first week, the better our games will rank.

54 Likes

Congratulations on the release! I’ve tried the demo and I love it!

1 Like

Fantastic news, congratulations!

1 Like

I just played the first chapter, and I can tell I’m going to have a lot of fun with this game. I love the plant magic, and the legends and lore I’ve come across so far have been delightful. I’m excited to see what sort of man my benign King Florian becomes as he faces his first real test as a ruler.

1 Like

Quick question: is asexuality intrinsically tied with armomanticism in this game? Like, If I pick “not attracted to anyone”, am I just barred from the romance options? I’d assume so given the wording.

4 Likes

Some of the stat changes or lack thereof are kinda unexpected. I keep thinking my choices are going to have huge effects on my personality or relations, but then they either do absolutely nothing or modify my non-personality stats somehow. Often a subset of the stats is conspicuously absent from the choices at all. It’s also rarely clear which stat is being tested on a test.

4 Likes

For some reason this isn’t showing in the Steam client application. Restarted and still ‘Most Recent’ has Sins of the Sires at the top. The web link works. I’ve never seen this behavior from Steam before. Happening to anyone else?

When I click on the Choice of Games developer listing, it only shows four titles (this game, one other and two demos) … so something might be going on with Steam.

We’ve had a handful of reports of this game not opening correctly in the Google Play omnibus, but it works fine when we test it there ourselves. If anyone is having an issue like that, can you write in to support@choiceofgames.com with more detail about the problem and the device you’re using? Thanks!

I’m not sure what might be happening with Steam, but here’s a link to the game there that should work: Save 34% on Siege of Treboulain on Steam

Edit: correction, I do know what’s happening with Steam, and we’ll have it fixed shortly. (A handful of games had their developer listed as “Choice of Games LLC” while the rest were under “Choice of Games.” All the games are very much still there.)

1 Like

I wondered the same thing. An ace option (= potential romance) is very different from an aro-ace option (= no romance) and it’s frustrating to see the two being used interchangeably in promo texts .

5 Likes

I have to say this was a very nice surprise and I really enjoyed my playthrough! My King Tharion Elseguard was really fun to play and he tried always approaching things wisely, mastered arborturgy, and had a silver tongue to inspire his people to stand against the dark tide! He ended up marrying Heartstone which wasnt a surprise to anyone considering he was loved the most by the people and his soldiers. Usually im very skeptical on games that kind of focus on resource management but honestly I didnt too pressured on things and ended the game with 100 in finances and high wall integrity, but I did have low supplies which I think wasnt too bad. Also, I liked how humility felt good and useful and fit with my king’s principles. Situations like when I asked the people for things like to help fight back the Skegg when they entered the city and also another crucial moment when they helped me save Saphira. It felt like the people really did care for their ruler.

I guess the only minor gripe I would have about the game is how there was no real choice when it came to The Order that was more like Saphira’s view which is that their was good points to both of the inner factions ways. Instead the only neutral option kind of was like “I do not care about your petty squabbles!” which wasnt the case for me even though King Tharion was more of a secular ruler and arborthurgist.

Other than that, I loved the game and even parts where it felt like I failed Lost my eye saving the little girl Tevi I think her name is, which I was not expecting! kind of only added to story and my king’s tale. Anyway, I could talk about more of the elements a nd moments I liked about the story but this would be even longer than it is lol. Great writing and the author has my thanks!

Edit: Forgot a few things I chose to capture Altahn and thought there would be some type of ending conversation with her or something but there wasn’t. Also I really hope there will be a part 2 since everything seems to hint at that with the coming dark forces and whatnot! Also I really thought I would be able to kind of take Tevi under my wing, but didn’t end up that way but it still ended up well!

11 Likes

My only problem with this is the confidence check. What does being proud have to do with being confident, you’re perfectly able to be humble and confident. This pissed me off so many times, otherwise its a good game.

6 Likes

Confidence ties to the Rhetoric not the Proud stat.

This makes it worse cause my Rhetoric is a solid 59 and I have never passed a a confidence test

I passed pretty much all my checks with stats being 60 and higher.

5 Likes

Absolutely loving the game so far! I’m about 3 chapters in and it’s very addicting, even with my low amounts of free time!

I noticed that I couldn’t restore purchases for it on the omnibus. It crashes the omnibus app every time I click on the link to restore purchases. None of the other games do that. (I tend to buy in the individual apps and then restore to the omnibus out of habit.) My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) if that helps.

2 Likes

By any chance is it possible to visit the wyrm and then save the assistant painter’s wife

1 Like

Because of the route you took or just because it can’t happen?

I’m not certain but as far as my choices, I was very friendly and saved her life at a pretty brutal cost to myself. But after that she helped my army but kind of disappeared until the end. Just thought she would be featured more considering her abilities. There didn’t seem to be a “Hey come be my protege” option or anything either so I don’t think it’s actually possible but I could be wrong.

4 Likes

So it’s not revealed even at the end who the traitor was? My traitor evidence was 79 so I thought it would suffice but somehow the plot was never mentioned again ever, did I miss something?