Samurai of Hyuga Book 5

Question (spoilers):

is it best to kiss momoko when she falls, I don’t want to accidentally bring back the demon without being able to even eventually save momoko or bring her back and more people dieing, should I kiss her or don’t?

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter

2 Likes

Like Sujan says, it doesn’t matter. its mostly flavor text for the people who romanced momoko. But it still does make sense to do so from a roleplay perspective, if you have romanced her previously.

1 Like

How to get sister support achievement?

Author normally posts an achievement guide, just wait for that

1 Like

Yes.

Just finished the book and some little observations

The first 50-70% before Tosh comes along is just straight up depressing. You are literally enduring through the pages at that point.

Why doesn’t MC ever question Satsuma’s message about sheathing the sword and not allowing MC see their true self apart from the one confrontation about it when MC just discovers the message. We never bring it up again.

Toshie admits that their loyalty to the Emperor is stronger than their love for the MC yet the next day we are all back to loving and trusting and even apologize for our reaction the previous night. Isn’t that a bit iffy?

How combat capable is Toshie exactly? In book one there’s a scene where our MC says something about her hands not showing signs of holding a sword and she herself says she will be of little use in combat but in book 5 she outwrestles the MC even with the Jigoku, she looks ready to duel with the Silent Lady after throwing the horse over and firing the pistol and the bandages on her arm later show they probably brawled plus she finishes of the bandit who comes back to life despite using her weaker arm plus she’s never afraid of the MC regardless of whether you’re in the Jigoku or not.(In book one there’s a scene where she comes to you outside after you have an argument with Masa and you swing your sword at her and it’s noted that she doesn’t pay attention to it ) That whole “I’m not afraid of Junko” in book 4 is beginning to look like it wasn’t empty words.
So was she lying in book 1?(wouldn’t put it past her)

19 Likes

The author should write whatever he wants. I don’t care if it’s appropriate or exploitive. It’s his work. And besides, while we can continue to make choices about how the character perceives things, the MC is still dealing with some shattering, very recent, and no longer suppressed revelations that he’s processing through. There’s going to be some dissonance.

Along the same lines, it was frustrating that I couldn’t save the MC’s friends, but oftentimes choice and consequence isn’t about affecting outcomes but choosing how to respond to them. This book is a crucible and it keeps forcing the player to assess their priorities. Given the book’s arc of losing then finding oneself again, this felt appropriate.

About the one place I’ll agree is that I yearn for a more robust “show stats” screen that has a breakdown of Hyuga, characters met, etc. for stuff like the memory stuff. I’m only reading your post because I was here looking for the name of Kohaku’s dumb horse.

8 Likes

I hated all of this too except the romance bit because Tosh is the only RO I’m not interested in I don’t know why the ronin keeps up with Satsuma and Tosh’s crap, leading them around like a dog and not telling them shit I was really pissed when the Ronin just accept everything and was all apologetic the next morning I almost quit then and there

9 Likes

Well i think tosh just wasn’t trained in armed combat that’s all i’m pretty sure that being a ninja required you to have some martial skills at least especially against armed opponents

4 Likes

Why doesn’t MC ever question Satsuma’s message about sheathing the sword and not allowing MC see their true self apart from the one confrontation about it when MC just discovers the message. We never bring it up again.

Not true self, but their reflection… I think it was about that double we see in Masa’s AU.

Toshie admits that their loyalty to the Emperor is stronger than their love for the MC yet the next day we are all back to loving and trusting and even apologize for our reaction the previous night. Isn’t that a bit iffy?

To be honest, they forgive you for killing them and choking/beating them on the roof. Like their only boundary is “please don’t hurt the man I grew up with and was groomed into being absolutely loyal to”. Which isn’t much. Plus, let’s be honest, it’s totally okay not to have your romantic partner as your first priority. Having things the over way around is called codependency and I heard it ain’t good for you. Although Tosh and Satsuma’s relationship is far from healthy, that’s also true.

18 Likes

Ronin’s also kind of not reliable tbh as well, one day they might just run off again, no surprise Tosh/ie can’t place then over the person they grew up with.

6 Likes

Ronin’s also kind of not reliable tbh as well, one day they might just run off again, no surprise Tosh/ie can’t place then over the person they grew up with.

Hm, I mean… The Ronin ran off after being on the verge of killing a kid, attacking Hatch and being lied to by their friends about the scars and memory loss (maybe not lied lied but still… our friends took upon themselves to decide what’s best for us and that ain’t nice either way). Like it was a proper mess and having some distance between them wasn’t such a bad idea. I don’t really blame the Ronin for bowing out in that instance.

8 Likes

I get that but I couldn’t care less about being second place to the emperor or whatever but the way mc just accept everything and just apologize for everything was odd and annoying

2 Likes

YAAAAAASSSS KING!!!

As frustrated as I was having to wait for 3 years, I’m so glad the book was released near the weekend so we actually had time to get into it. There’s so much to say that I don’t even know where to start. I’ll just sum it up with:

THIS MAN DON’T QUIT!

I think Devon is literally out in the mountains, in the wilderness, cackling while we come to grips with the story. I love this book and this series so much <3

Btw, I thought the ‘infiltrate a cult’ blurb at the intro page was going to be a further investigation into Ichiro Takeda’s Jigoku stunt. When it turned out to be a fantasy, extremist version of a real-world religion, I was skeptical of the portrayal. Zachary Sergi’s Herofall, anyone? But instead, Devon allows us to be respectful (as much as you can be from the Ronin’s POV and time era, anyway). The core principles of forgiveness and redemption of sinners from all walks of life fits perfectly into the game’s narrative.

14 Likes

I get that mc is an established character and not a complete blank but I don’t self insert or anything like that and I don’t really care about the Tosh romance but why the hell is the ronin the one to apologize they’re not the one hiding secrets I mean they’re the one eliminating the emperor’s enemies just a dumb weapon

2 Likes

I’m not blaming them, but the Ronin has trauma they need to resolve through that can make them act out and it’s kinda hard for someone to place their complete faith in them over someone they’ve known they’re whole life.

You apologize for overreacting and beating and choking them, another reason I’m sure for them placing the Emperor, they’re friend from childhood, over you. And just because they place they’re loyalty first doesn’t mean they don’t love you considering every time loop they went through they’re always with you. Besides they’re starting to question Satsuma anyway, but at this point they’re loyalty to them has always been a thing since we first met you might as well leave them alone.

15 Likes

No I don’t care about Tosh’s loyalty or them placing the emperor above mc at all and as I said before they’re my least favourite ro the mc apologizing and accepting everything and continuing like nothing happened is what pissed me off

2 Likes

Again you apologize for attacking them and for the letter, doesn’t Toshie tell you they don’t even believe it came from Satsuma or something, this was also from their pov so they’re not lying about that.

6 Likes

I’m not blaming them, but the Ronin has trauma they need to resolve through that can make them act out and it’s kinda hard for someone to place their complete faith in them over someone they’ve known they’re whole life.

Yeah… I don’t understand why people aren’t weirded out and scared more of the fact that Ronin abuses Tosh a lot and literally kills Tosh and others in the loop. Like this is really bad and it doesn’t bode well for the future… This is something that Jun would do to the Ronin and Tosh deserves better. But it definitely gonna get worse before it gets better, oh gosh.

8 Likes