Samurai of Hyuga Book 2

@MultipleChoice, so I finished Book 2 a few minutes ago and I decided to put my two cents here, as a fan and as someone who’d like to put his thoughts in paper. WARNING: This does contain spoilers for Book 2. It’s also long.

I must say, the technique you use as you write only seems to improve. The banter is interesting, none of the dialogue feels spaced, all the characters talk of relevant, important things, to the plot and to themselves.

And speaking of the characters in Book 2, I’ll say that as much as I didn’t like Basho in the beginning, he did grow on me, and I would apply that to making my ronin write poetry with him. I didn’t feel like a character establishing moment, but at the same time it fleshed out the relationship between the two. Without it, I’d probably think he was a bore, so seeing more of that in the future might be nice.

As for other characters, you do seem to be getting the voice thing very well. Each of them feels unique amongst themselves and I can make up their main characteristics. I can feel the differences between the group, is what I’m saying. And, the way I see it, those differences are what the makes the conflict interesting, Take Masami’s idealism with the MC’s pragmatism as an example of why that worked well with me (but that’s a thing more common to Book 1, and since we’re talking about Book 2, I’ll change the subject). And the Baron worked well, despite not seeing much of him, he did remain an interesting character.

Now, as I have mst of stuff I liked out of the way, I’d like to touch upon the ones I thought might have been better, since contructive criticism.

The Momoko subplot, actually, could have had more nuance. What I mean by that is, while I think Momoko is interesting, and I have been led to believe that she would have a nice dynamic with the protagonist, I also don’t really know a lot about her. And while choosing to have her leave or make her stay is probably the most thought I put on the book, I just didn’t really know her enough as I did Hatch or Toshie. She was a stranger. I don’t know, maybe that was supposed to feel like that. But a nice way to fix this is putting a few moments between the MC, characters, and their defining moments. If I had seen more of Momoko, maybe the choice could have had more impact with me.

And, this might be (and is, kinda) a small thing, but I think you should try somthing other than cliffhangers in Book 3. They work, yes, and this one did follow your article on your website to the latter. But I think there are better endings. This one felt like a punch. I think that, if you managed to finish the conflict begun in each respective book, you could make newer endings that can do things cliffhangers can’t

So, that’s all I could muster for now. Good writing technique, although the way the plot is conducted is questionable. But all in all, it’s a good CoG, unique and good in many ways, and you should feel proud. And considering how your last attempts went, I think you only have room to improve now. And I’ll be looking forward forward to see our favorite ronin’s return.

8 Likes

Speaking of Jun/ko, did anyone else feel that their actions didn’t make much sense? I mean, it may have been intentional, since they’re clearly unstable, but how on Earth could a living weapon fail to kill the kid that was literally in their hands? Why didn’t they finish Masashi/mi off after the MC passed out? If they left the kid alive on purpose, why do so little damage? The cut on the kid’s neck was so light it didn’t even prevent them from speaking.
It’s a nitpick, I guess, but I’ve come to see SoH as more than just mindless appeal-to-your-emotions… what’s the word… pulp fiction? And while my emotional side is happy with the scene, my analytical side thinks there’s a plothole that could’ve been avoided.

2 Likes

I think the reason for that is Jun/Junko was only after the MC, not Masashi/Masami. He/She has a sick obsession with the MC which was stated in the book multiple times. He/she also ran off before Masashi/Masami came out of his/her hiding spot. I just don’t think Jun/Junko really cared about the the Masashi/Masami.

3 Likes

I agree, Jun/ko doesn’t care about the kid, but they went for the kid in the first place to get under the MC’s skin (no pun intended). And after they saw first hand how much our ronin wants to keep Masashi/mi alive, it would be logical for them to finish the job. To hurt the MC even more, to remove the… third wheel, y’ know.

Was the kid hiding? I thought he/she fell to the floor unconscious and then woke up and screamed our ronin’s name out in the middle of the battle. Witch resulted in the MC getting distracted and Jun/ko taking advantage of it.
And Jun/ko clearly heard that scream.

1 Like

I thought Masashi/Masami used magic to protect or duplicated themselves, or something along those lines. If Jun/Junko actually had them held hostage, then I’m not sure why Jun/Junko didn’t just kill them. And I’ll admit that if Jun/Junko had the “real” Masashi/Masami in their hands and didn’t manage to cut deep enough, that seems sloppy on their part.

But still, I think Jun/Junko was more after the MC than anyone else. Like you stated, they are unstable.

1 Like

Nah, I think it was real Masashi/mi there. If you choose “I kill him for what he did to you, I promise” when speaking to him/her about Jun/ko, the kid replies with “a true shugenja should have been able to defend him/herself”. And that kinda implies that he/she hasn’t been able to, hence didn’t use any protective magic (or didn’t succeed in using, anyway). There are also several instances after that confrontation where the kid is described as having a cut across their throat. And that is not supposed to be there if the kid used a double.
I guess, Jun/ko’s craziness is the best explanation so far. Still feels like a stretch, though…

Or, we went crazy before the story even started and we are just hiding in the one sane part of our mind imagining the whole emperor/quest/friends thing while we have in reality become like Jun/ko and are just slaughtering people. Which is why all this weird unbelievable stuff is happening. lol.

9 Likes

Its all about the head games, trust me, she’s like my ex girlfriend :stuck_out_tongue:

@Zakkarian
Wow. Wow, this is heartbreaking :laughing:
And, like… kinda cool.

Please, though, don’t listen to this person, author-sama.

@Lizzy
You mean, Jun/ko is just messing with us, no logic involved? Yeah, I guess, I also know a few people like that :smile:

I mean that every single time my character looks at Masami’s neck she’s going to see how she failed, a painful reminder that she wasn’t good enough and THAT is worth more to Junko than killing Masami outright :disappointed:

15 Likes

Huh. That’s a nice theory, actually. I didn’t think of this before, but Jun/ko wanting to get in the MC’s head this way is very believable.

2 Likes

As I’ve not played it yet since I’m low on money, can you romance people in b2 now or do you have to wait until b3?

As long as you get your tummy carved up romance can occur in book 2.

2 Likes

Oh, how nice, I’m guessing it is any character?

There are two romances in Book 2, which are Momoko and a new male character.

1 Like

My MC only romanced the two most antagonistic, evil and abusive choices available… that is how messed up she is/was.

@luifalcone - there is at least one more person you can have a scene with.

1 Like

You mean the scene where the Baron turns into Jun? I don’t think that counts, that’s not real Jun, after all.

No, although I did have a scene with that person after a sitting… I had scenes with the real Jun (where he carved his name into my stomach and the real baron after sitting for my portrait.

Well, if that can be considered a romance scene, then there are romantic interactions with every party member.
But you can actually sleep with only two people in Book 2. A romance subplot with Momoko and a one night stand with a new character.

Why the hell are replies not working…

1 Like

Wait, I thought Toshio was an RO in book 2? Wow, guess I really an behind on the Times.