Rise to Power (Working Title) (Chapter 1 WIP, 20% Done!)

Apologies, just saw achievement guide and impeachment, however, would it be possible to be arrested?

Yes, actually! If you mishandle the embezzlement scandal for the local city council campaign, you can, in fact, be arrested and imprisoned for your criminal acts, which will be the first “game over” option possible.

1 Like

I’ve wondered if a Choice game with this premise would actually be workable — and the demo so far proves not only that it is, but that it’s compelling! I can’t wait to see the rest of the game, the shady political maneuvering, policy positions, and (I imagine) no-good-outcome dilemmas.

Personal Information
Name: Jason Miller
Origin: The Southwest
Religion: N/A
Ethnicity: N/A

Personality
Ideological: 43% Pragmatic: 57%
Ruthless: 50% Fair: 50%
Humble: 39% Elite: 61%
SelfServing: 50% Public-Minded: 50%

Political Information
Government Position: N/A
PoliticalParty: N/A
Political Connections: 15%

Fame: 0%
Authoritarian: 50% Libertarian: 50%
Traditionalist: 50% Progressive: 50%
StateEconomy: 50% Laissez-Faire: 50%
Pacifist: 50% Militarist: 50%
Isolationist: 50% Interventionist: 50%
Religious: 50% Secular: 50%

Personal Skills
Charisma: 43%
Finances: 60%
Intrigue: 14%
Governance: 19%
Law: 29%
Knowledge: 39%

Relationships
Family: 80%

Other Details
Scandal: 0%

Personal Wealth: 5000
Campaign Funds: 0
Approval Ratings: 0
Standing In The Polls: 0
Campaign Staff Numbers: 0

Surprising how fast the elite stat can rise, considering I selected lower class, state university and student activist. Is that perhaps intentional my character overcompensating to draw attention away from his past or something like that?
Or is it selecting wanting to leave a legacy as one of his primary motivations?

Personal Information
Name: Juan Jose Cuevas
Origin: Seattle

Personality
Humble: 34% Elite: 66%

Political Information
PoliticalParty: N/A
Political Connections: 33%
Fame: 0%
Authoritarian: 50% Libertarian: 50%
Traditionalist: 50% Progressive: 50%
StateEconomy: 50% Laissez-Faire: 50%
Pacifist: 50% Militarist: 50%
Isolationist: 50% Interventionist: 50%
Religious: 50% Secular: 50%

Personal Skills
Charisma: 15%
Finances: 37%
Intrigue: 19%
Governance: 15%
Law: 15%
Knowledge: 67%

Relationships

Other Details
Personal Wealth: 5000
Campaign Funds: 0
Approval Ratings: 0
Standing In The Polls: 0
Campaign Staff Numbers: 0

Okay, so, I didn’t get as much as I wanted done, but I’ve unlocked the start of the local city council chapter. Right now, it’s just the initial campaign, and there’s only one set of canvassing you can do, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Go ahead and give it a play! I’ll try to get more out in the coming days, primarily the debate with your opponent, the election results, and getting settled into being an elected government official.

3 Likes

Really nice, first play through and faced no problem other than that when i try to transfer 500$ for my campaign funding it only transfers 250$, and when i try to work on puplicity (print flyers, get TV/radio ads…etc.) It doesn’t decrease the amount of money i use for funding.
@jacklyn044
Keep up the wonderful work :+1:

1 Like

I can’t get pass the old man in his sixties!!!

Wait, never ye mind, I througouly read your comment again lol

When you go canvasing and get to our friendly neighborhood ex-cop if you say you will increase police funding it loops back when you go to his house.

Yay we get more content for this game. Excitment promising game and worth the play.

1 Like

I freaking love it so far, so much to do, so many options to choose from, and lots of different combinations to take your MC where you desire! Keep up the good work, this is incredible!

Well i like it, i’m playing as an Independent Politician? But yeah I am loving the game and I hope i can become more pragmatic though I think promising to increase funding on two things already (School and Police) was a bad move but eh it might pay off!

Most police in the US are already very well funded, most gains can be made by better allocating said funding to more effective programs and training methods, simply increasing it ought not to be necessary in most cases.

Like the new addition! Two small quibbles:

1. You probably want to set it up so it doesn’t say that you’ve just paid the nominal $100 fee every time you loop back to campaign activities.
  2. I’m not sure Authoritarian/Libertarian is a good dichotomy? The term “libertarian” here seems to be used to mean “classical liberal,” which at one time was valid I’m sure, but not at this moment in history, and it’s changed enough over time to be vague enough that it’s hard to tell exactly what it means here. It’s hard to think of an antonym for Authoritarian, it’s like thinking of an antonym for “fruit.” Democratic is a party name, and would imply the Republicans are synonymous Authoritarian, which is a no-no for the even-handed political tone; Liberal is loaded for pretty much the same reason; Anarchy is probably most accurate as an antonym, but it is not a presence in American politics, and sorta implies that any expansion of government is Authoritarian. It’s maybe a little awkward, but what I’d do is just leave the stat bar without an opposed side, move it down into the middle of the other dichotomies (all of which are pretty much perfect) so it registers as of-a-kind, and make text comparatives “less authoritarian” or “more authoritarian”?

In the new chapter, when you pick the option for making signs and getting private property (at least in middle class option) it draws the funds from your personal funds instead of campaign fund, which I’m not sure you’d want, as I thought there was a bug, and kept spamming that option. I think it’s either a text slip up, or a bug as looking back at the option it says it would negate from Campaign funds. (Going back later, most publicity options in that category of fliers, billboard, etc. draw from personal funds)

1 Like

Also, how is it decided how many university activities you can select? (different wealth options allowed more or less for same school). And when going door to door to rally support, you could only do it once with the mother and the cop, otherwise it would repeat the same two tasks, will others be added, or should it be changed so you can only complete that option once?

I like your game a lot so far! What I am even more impressed with though, reading your comments on this thread, are your amazing ideas! You seem to have a great deal of enthusiasm for this project and I am excited to see where you take it

I played the new part of the first chapter four times to enssure that I would catch as many bugs as possible. This is what I noticed:

• Besides the fact that I had campaign funds, all the advertisement that I bought disappeared from my personal wealth

• When we took a campaign action the inicial text concerning our payment of 100$ to the clerk would always show up again. This isn’t that big of an inconvenient, it is just one of those little details to be fixed at beta-testing fase.

• When it is given to us the balance of the intention of vote and the campaign funds (in the campaign main menu and when we bought advertisement), the symbols % and $ would always appear before the number itself, ex: %30 instead of 30% or 1000 instead of 1000.

Sorry for not puting any print screen, but I tested it in my Android tablet. In regard to your concerns, the fame and poll numbers seemed to be ok until now. I’m really enjoying this game, and I can say for sure that you are surpassing my already high expectations

Personal Information
Name: Alex Wilson
Origin: Philadelphia

Personality
Humble: 30% Elite: 70%

Political Information
PoliticalParty: Democrat
Political Connections: 40%
Fame: 95%
Authoritarian: 46% Libertarian: 54%
Traditionalist: 45% Progressive: 55%
StateEconomy: 55% Laissez-Faire: 45%
Pacifist: 55% Militarist: 45%
Isolationist: 45% Interventionist: 55%
Religious: 45% Secular: 55%

Personal Skills
Charisma: 65%
Finances: 5%
Intrigue: 52%
Governance: 10%
Law: 19%
Knowledge: 31%

Relationships

Other Details
Personal Wealth: 3600
Campaign Funds: 9000
Approval Ratings: 80
Standing In The Polls: 78
Campaign Staff Numbers: 5

The reason my approval and funds are so high is because I was able to hire multiple TV ads without actually having to pay