Révolution Diabolique — BETA TESTERS NEEDED

Unleash diabolical magic in the time of Napoleon and Robespierre! Can you direct the course of the Revolution, or will you lose your head? Support the republic, save the king, or seize control yourself. How far will you go to get what you want?

Revolution Diabolique is a 400,000+ word interactive novel by Chris Conley, author of Machinations: Fog of War. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Will you support the monarchy, nobility, peasantry, radical revolutionaries, or only yourself? Can you build a more impressive home than Versailles, lead a political faction to take control of the national government, or conquer your way to victory in the army? Add demonic forces to the Revolutionary Army and bring the Revolution to every corner of Europe, or betray it for your own aims. Found demonology as a new scientific discipline, launch a new cult centered around demons, or simply conduct your experiments in secret.

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, bi, ace, or poly.
  • Restore the monarchy, defend the republic, or push for even more radical reforms.
  • Engage in political machinations, military campaigns, public service, researching demon magic, or prosecuting a personal feud.
  • Identify and bind various demons, with different strengths, weaknesses, abilities, and needs.
  • With dozens of different endings, there’s always something new to discover.

Through it all, you must decide what you’re willing to sacrifice to secure power and make the changes you want to see in the world: your friends, your reputation, or even your own humanity.

You can catch up on the existing WIP thread here!

Directions for beta testing:

Email us, beta AT choiceofgames for access. (This changed several months ago, so take note if you haven’t beta tested in a while.)

Do not send DMs/PMs through the forum mail system, Discord, text message, carrier pigeon, or any other method than email.

When you send your EMAIL, include:

• the game you want to test in the Subject line of the email.
  • your forum-name
  • your real name (first and last)
  • if your family/surname comes first, please indicate that. I will assume that your given name is listed first unless you tell me otherwise.

Do not email us multiple times about joining a beta. If you don’t email us as soon as we post a beta, you go into a queue. As we post new drafts, we admit more people from the queue. Eventually, we will get to you. When you have been admitted to the beta, we will send you a link, a username, and a password as a reply to your email.

When you have feedback to submit:

• Return feedback to beta@choiceofgames, preferably part of the same email thread/chain, rather than a new one.
  • Please send screenshots or copy/pasted quotes as often as you can; it helps us track down whatever observation you’re making. In particular, the author may see things that you don’t, and/or the screenshot may contain more information than you realize.
  • If you’re submitting feedback using the Bug/Submit button in the game, make sure you include your handle/name in the body of the email. The Submit button obscures your email address, and I can’t give you credit for feedback if I don’t know who you are.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT THE BETA EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

Lastly, you cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.

Tips on How to Give Feedback
I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, screenshots are very helpful. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, word choice, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback :
In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is also really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

23 Likes

New draft posted! r24636

• Add more description on meeting Vervaise @2.
  • Fix issue when calling on a demon with the chief @3.
  • Add a new option in stopping Mauriceau’s purchase of properties @4.
  • Prevent the Military Rumors event from firing twice @4.
  • Prevent doubled income/time passes message @7.
  • Fix a follower count that could become absurdly high @7.
  • Fix crash when captured @8.
  • Add more description in the glossary.

New draft posted!

• Smoothed some transitions between sections @1.
  • Ensured MC should always be able to respond to the fire @2.
  • Fixed a rare crash with some complex deal-making @2.
  • Reorganized opening slightly @2.
  • Going along with the National Guard @3 now takes effect immediately.
  • MC electing to join a faction, being rebuffed, and then changing their mind no longer causes a crash @5.
  • MC being ejected from or otherwise antagonizing a faction should not be followed by their trying to recruit the MC again @4 or @5.
  • Fixed some doubled *page_breaks @6 and @7.
  • Choosing one demon no longer selects the wrong one @7c.
  • Changed some endgame text if MC died @7 and @8.
  • General grammar clarifications/cleanup throughout.

New draft posted! r24753

• Corrected more various issues with text throughout.
  • Adjusted income text throughout.
  • Mauriceau no longer comments on MC’s foreignness if they haven’t spoken yet @1.
  • Joining a faction when they ask you to now sets the variables properly @4 and @5.
  • Fixed both success and failure being displayed when getting involved in politics @5.
  • If you meet with a rival faction leader to discuss joining the rival faction you can now actually discuss joining the rival faction (and even join the rival faction) @5.
  • Added a fun military confrontation in certain situations @8.
  • Removed unused “Background Information” option from stats screen.
  • Added a max lifestyle descriptor to prevent a crash @ stats screen.
  • Added optional toggle of detailed stats @ stats screen, including a message when one is triggered.
  • Rewrote some of the lifestyle descriptions @stats screen.

New draft posted! r24855

• Typos and other text fixes.
  • Added India/Vietnam origins @1.
  • Adjusted some descriptions @1.
  • The conversation no longer abruptly ends after the player successfully breaks in to speak with Vervaise @2.
  • Added missing reaction when asking for Yvon’s help @4.
  • The story should no longer potentially skip mentioning the king’s fate @5.
  • Added more resolution for Dacier @5, @6, @7, @8.
  • Fixed message about not having a university built if occupying abandoned buildings @7a.
  • Fixed some obscure bugs involving rare late-game states @7a and @7b.
  • Player can no longer talk and do things after death @8.
4 Likes

New draft posted! r25087

• Text fixes throughout.
  • Corrected early Vervaise status in @stats.
  • Clarified optional ending text about Mauriceau @1.
  • Corrected a naming issue when speaking with Guyot @2.
  • Corrected a looping issue in the later interrogation @3.
  • Clarified arrival time @3.
  • Now properly tracks state of opposing France from @6 into @7.
  • Hopefully fixed a looping choice issue @7.
  • The repeated text bug @7 should finally be fixed.
  • Corrected another looping bug with an RO @7.
  • Added proper ending for foreign base @8.

New draft posted! r25155

LAST CALL FOR FEEDBACK!

• Fixed another Vervaise conversation loop error @2.
  • Fixed some dialog issues @3.
  • Ensured consistency in Mauriceau property event @4.
  • Fixed Guyot name consistency problem @4 from 2.
  • Fixed crash on being ejected from faction @4 due to not prompting the player for a new goal.
  • Now tracking St. Jean choices better from 4 on.
  • Prevented PC from attending the same meeting twice if the same faction invites PC again @4 or @5.
  • Prevented bandit event from firing twice @4.
  • Added a rare bonus for having a max lifestyle and then getting even more cash @4, @5, etc. instead of crashing.
  • Should now properly record and propagate a failure to demonstrate to the military @5.
  • Clarified capture/arrest demon details @5.
  • Fixed bug where your troops could surrender twice @5.
  • Fixed duplicate/incorrect war progress when fighting @6.
  • Now properly preserves captured-by-enemy status into @6, rather than jumping back into service.
  • Added a couple more optional high-stat lategame scenes @7a.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed PC to keep adjusting the structure of government @7a even after being kicked out of the process.
  • Properly hooked military demonstration @7a to the existing sequence @5.
  • Added last outing with Luc @7a.
  • Properly filled in the deal-sweeten sequence @7c.
  • Adjusted government stability after change of government @7a.
  • Reduced the likelihood of anti-demon reaction @8. It was way too common.
  • Hopefully fixed display of vassals @8.
  • Fixed a crash; now can display all nine possible lifestyle levels @choicescript_stats, oops.
  • Various text fixes.
1 Like

This beta is now closed and the game has gone to copyedit! Thanks to everyone who sent in feedback!

3 Likes