Release date Estimates

Instead of giving date estimates, why not give estimates as the month of release( eg. TWC - March 2018, Zombie Exodus SH Part 2 - Late March/Early April 2018). Because that way, there is not too much pressure on the COG staff when the platforms are not co-operative and it gives a wider margin for error. After all, they are just estimates.

4 Likes

Semi-related: is the HG pending release “A Mummy is Not an Antique” the one previously known as “A Booth at the Antiques Show”? If so, please change it back before publication. The original title was way better, and not just because I love a good pun.

Actually, it is just because of that. But still!

This might be a copyright issue - they might have had to change it.

1 Like

It might be hard I think, delays could happen in months though I haven’t experienced it so far. Look at TWC as example, it was originally scheduled for a February release but it was moved to March. I am glad that this time we were informed that it is confirmed that it will not be released today, not just radio silence. =/

2 Likes

Yeah but there would have been patience till Feb 28 if it had been stated as February 2018. So from then to March 8, it would have been just 7 days delay. There wouldnt have been this much of an outburst then. It just gives the staff a breathing space. It can also prevent a situation where the authors worry over people losing excitement over the delay.

1 Like

@Sanjay - I’m going to disagree with you, having a date is better for many of us who have to budget our income, even if it is wrong at times, It still allows much better planning.

When a game says “early 2018” or some other vague term, you really can’t plan.

This is something that is just life. Authors learn to ignore the gnashing of teeth and rendering of breasts in anguish that some fans might have. It is appreciated but life happens and sometimes there are delays. There is not a single publisher that will avoid this.

7 Likes

I am not gonna be that general (Early, Mid, Late 2018 is bad). But I do not want a date-specific format either. Giving it as month-estimate will have no impact on budgeting your income (For eg - having a March 8 release date is no different from saying March 2018 in general terms). As for the teeth-gnashing and learning part, I am curious to know if other authors feel the same way.

1 Like

But what if I say that 8th you are speaking of, can be 15th or the 22nd, That 8th is not set in stone.

For me, this is quite feasible since every month I allocate part of my income to other luxury fund. If I know that on that month I have a game to buy, I will allocate part of it to that game and if it didn’t get release, I will not use it until it get released.

2 Likes

Its not that vague imo. All you need to look out for are 4 Thursdays since all releases are on a Thursday.

Like the others has said, I would prefer to know the best estimate of when a game is coming out, meaning I want to know exactly when it will come out so I can plan on how I should spend my money. I really do not have much opportunities to get any money but if I knew ahead of time, I’d be able to save a certain amount for a certain game. The month thing just sounds like it might be a disaster for most, if not then some people because no one would be able to know just when it’s coming out unless they check daily on the play store or the forum, to me it would be a waste of time clicking refresh to see any new updates that may not come for weeks or even months.

While it is true COG likes to release some stuff on a Thursday, there has been some situations where they couldn’t because of various reasons, so they either had to push it back to a later Thursday or release it on a different day altogether.

1 Like

You would get to know that 3 games are releasing in March 2018. So set aside an estimated amount for that month. Isnt that much simpler than to hold money for that particular day.

This happens even if a date estimate is given and the game is not released on that day. Maybe the COG staff can give a month estimate and let us know 1 day before the release after it has been confirmed by all platforms?

1 Like

Some people are probably not interested into getting all three games coming out in March though. Also, the prices of the games sometimes varies with the discount for the new releases so it’s hard to say what would be the exact amount you’d be required to set aside if you wanted this game or that game. Most of the time it’d probably going to be like 10-20 dollars, depending on the pricing of a certain game and if there is a discount still going on.

Probably estimate the most expensive amount found in all CoG/HG title? I usually do it that way. For example, the most expensive for me would be Zombie Exodus which is around $6.82. I would save that amount.

1 Like

I assume tax is counted in the amount because the highest price I’ve seen was 5.99

Well… I live in SE Asia so include the the forex difference . XD Also, this compose of the ad removal and all three parts of ZE. ^^;

1 Like

Oh so different currency then? That makes alot of sense to me now.

1 Like

Do you have Pre-paid service on your Telecommunication service?

Example, we can top up a certain amount of cash to our phone account whenever we have the money, so eventually it will accumulate into a sum in the account, whenever we want to purchase an online item… we can deduct the amount from our phone account , of course any phone and internet bills will be auto deduct from the account as well… it gives me flexibility of saving money into this account when i have extra cash…

I have a debit card for my daily purchases so I put some part of my income in there.

1 Like

Well as long as people are aware it’s an estimated release date I honestly don’t see the difference between giving a potential date or a potential month. Estimated means what it means and the only way not to be disappointed is to be aware that delays can happen. Or for the company not to give estimation. But I would be sad if they decided to cut them off.
Yeah for me it all comes on the need to emphasize the “estimation” part. Both from CoG and authors.
(And off topic but if one of my biggest disappointment in life was when a game doesn’t come out the day I wanted it to, well I would consider myself lucky.)