Release date Estimates

In my case even though I am aware that the dates are estimates at best, I can’t help but hope that it will be released on that day. From my past experiences, I was lucky enough that all the ones posted in the announcement were released on time. I supposed I got used to all of them releasing on time that I couldn’t help but get disappointed when this happen this year. :frowning:

4 Likes

This^.

Anyway I don’t want to seem like the “teeth-gnashing type”, but imo CoG just messed it up in february. All it would have taken for them is to update the release thread more frequently. I get that TWC was pending release and while frustrating it’s understandable if a games release gets delayed, but the fact that the GT2 was also "pending release"according to that thread until today even tho it was released early february, that just gave me the impression that they forgot about that thread even tho since it’s against the rules for us to ask about release dates here that thread is practically the only way to get information about that stuff.

1 Like

Oooooh! I didn’t see it wasn’t up to date. Then yes I agree with you the release thread should be updated regularly.

There is a lot more backstory to that. The staff themselves confirmed in the TWC thread that they are not aware whether a game is going to release until a day prior to its release because the platforms spring a nasty surprise on them. So they cant update a release date. Even in the case of Great Tournament 2, it had a delayed release on steam. It was scheduled to be released on 8th (i dont know the date exactly) but then steam screwed it up. Then it was set for 22nd release on steam. Then steam screwed it up again. Then it was released on 26th.

Oh ok. I didn’t see the post. Indeed it’s more complicated than I thought. One day is a really short notice. :thinking: Ok now I see where you’re coming from when you talk about a wider estimation for releases dates.

1 Like

I wonder why CoG even cares so much about steam these days. I mean as far I remember steam was always way behind the other stores, but until now that wasn’t an issue so far.

I dont know the definitive answer to that question. But my guess would be that they are planning to make inroads into the gaming industry by attracting interest of Steam users as well. If they are able to generate more interest for interactive fiction genre, it will lead to a wider customer base which will lead to long term benefits.

Or it can be even as simple as if it is the same release date in all platforms, sales will generally be more since there can be buyers of both PC and mobile version. But if they release for mobile platforms first, it would generally mean less sales in Steam which may cause steam to reject hosting future games in their website.

But steam users already buy CoG/HGs don’t they? I’m not sure I understand how games getting released the same time on all platforms would make CoG/HGs more popular on steam. If people are interested in a game they will buy it anyway.

1 Like

We did this thread in 2015, 2016, but skipped 2017, I guess? Upcoming Hosted Games Releases — 2016

1 Like

But if a game releases a week before in Google Play, I definitely wont wait for a steam release. But if both are release on the same day, I may prefer Steam over Google Play for convenience purposes. (I have played every game on mobile platforms so what I have stated above is just an example)

1 Like

If you take away the thread, it is probably going to add more fuel to fire. People will start spamming in every thread for a release date which can give authors headaches. And it wont be one or two people complaining. It will be so many that ignoring them will be impossible.

3 Likes

That actually makes sense.

I only buy CoG/Hgs through the google store and even if somewhere it would get realeased earlier I wouldn’t buy it there, bc I prefer to play these games on mobile, but that’s just me.

1 Like

I’m not looking for feedback on what will happen when we take away the Upcoming Games threads, I’m saying: people have been complaining for years about estimated release dates. There’s no good solution except taking away the threads. Once again, if complaints get out of hand, we will take it away. Makes it easier on everyone: forumgoers don’t expect a game at a certain time, they can’t be angry when it doesn’t release. Despite you know, the huge disclaimer that these are ESTIMATES AT BEST.

2 Likes

Also: while it’s not an official one, maybe one of you got could give us a nudge on the discord when a game enters the queue?
We could pin them there?

I would hate to see the Upcoming Games threads go away.

I think many forumgoers (the silent majority) and even non-registered lurkers appreciate getting a rough forecast of upcoming releases. I mean, those two threads already have over 80k views just in 2018.

People just need to follow the rules, read the disclaimers, and be happy that the information is provided in the first place. No one is going to die if a game releases a bit later than was anticipated.

11 Likes

One thing I have concluded from all of this is: we cannot really please anybody.

If there’s no upcoming thread, people will spam for the release and will get angry for lacked of news. If there’s an estimated date and it get delayed, people will get angry. Either way you looked at it. There will be inconvenienced in both side.

OP is just suggesting to change how to present the release date. Not complaining about the release date themselves.

3 Likes

I wouldnt want the thread to be taken off either. But maybe date estimates can be changed to month estimates. When you say “ESTIMATES AT BEST” why fixate yourself on a date is my point. But, if you say, you dont have a good solution for this issue, then I have no choice but to go along with it since I assume you would have thought about it in the past.

2 Likes

I think in 2017 it worked well. At least I can’t think of a reason to complain about that. And I’m pretty sure I said in my post above that games getting delayed is understandable while frustrating, but I guess that can’t be helped. And even if the update of the release thread comes a few days later that still wouldn’t be something worth complaining about, my complaint was about how in february it took half a month to get any infos about the games.
Also once again I would bring up GT2, people already said that the “pending release” status wasn’t changed bc steam released it later. But if I recall correctly so far the release dates in the thread were in synch with the dates of the games getting released on the CoG page, which imo makes more sense.

(Also I’m sorry I can’t word this as elequently as I would like, I would blame this on the fact that I’m not a native english speaker)

1 Like

But I think if they would take away the Upcoming Games thread that would upset more people than. a few delayed games would. Hence why I’m not sure I understand the policy behind answering suggestions and a few complaints with “you don’t like it? Then you can be without it.”.

And I think now would be a good time for me to shut up…

3 Likes

Tbh, if that thread is taken away, I think it will backfire quite badly, because:

-People will start asking for dates in the threads.
-People will get flagged.
-There will be huge constants amounts of flagging, leading to the thread getting automatically closed.
-Threads will stay close for god knows how long.
-Less traffic in the forum.
-Lost of interest in the forum.

A disaster in general.

1 Like