Regarding the upcoming Choice of Games Contest for Interactive Novels

It says that you have to be a ‘legal resident’ of the US, UK or Canada. If I’m a foreign student heading to the UK to study for the duration of the assessment period with all the required visas and certification, do I count? Or will I have to wait for another competition with less strict entry requirements? :confused:

1 Like

Dollars to doughnuts, you don’t have the legal right to work in the UK. If you don’t have the right to work, I don’t think you can participate in this contest.

Moreover, you would be inviting a tax nightmare for yourself and us as we wrangle with not one, not two, but three different government who would want their share of your income.

4 Likes

Gotcha. I’ll just go back to working on my game and wait for a competition that allows people from all over the world to participate. Thanks for the quick reply!

What country do you live in? You could also consider just submitting your work as a Hosted Game!

2 Likes

It’s not done yet :slight_smile: I just wanted to plan out when to finish it by, and I figured a competition deadline would force me to finish it faster. I guess now that I can’t enter, I have more time to complete it.

1 Like

Well, not exactly.

The primary problem is that anyone on a student visa is usually specifically forbidden from working while in the country they are studying in. So we can’t pay them because that would be a breach of their visa (because making money = working), and we can’t not pay them because we need to for contractual reasons.

So generally we recommend that users on student visa contact us once they are no longer studying abroad, or once their visa status changes to allow them to work in the country they are currently in. Basically, if you’re on a student visa, that’s one of the (very few) occasions that we can’t actually publish your game.

1 Like

Oh, gotcha. That makes sense.

More bad news :sweat: so even if I finish my game within the next couple of months, I won’t be able to submit it until I can work in the UK. That means at least a year and a half from now. That’s…a lot longer than I anticipated.

Thank you for clarifying, at least. I’ll just go and…deal with this. Somehow.

2 Likes

Don’t lose heart! You could always make your HG an epic. My WIP, The Magician’s Task will probably take me 2 years to write, and some authors, like Havenstone, took 6 years. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will you be returning home at any time? You could use that brief window to submit it. :slight_smile:

Just a guess. You’d have to run it by CoG, but earning royalties while out of your own country is likely allowed,

1 Like