I’ve recently begun to make a real push on trying to actually work on my game rather than daydream about it. And holy batman but I’ve managed to finish chapter 1!!
The game is set in a future where people can augment their bodies with a variety of technologies. Three main corporations dominate the economy, to the point of competing with the government. This unsteady equilibrium is shattered by unexpected events and you play as part of a mercenary group who get caught right smack bang in the middle of it all.
Future plans for the project include but are not limited to:
- Work with or against any of the three corporations as the balance of power shifts over the city.
- Earn the support of the local police or work with one of the gangs to rise to power.
- Get your very own AI pet!! Choose from three distinct categories that develop according to their own rules and gain new powers as the story progresses. These powers can help (or even hinder) you.
- Choose from 4 different starting meatstacks (explained in game), each with their own benefits, cons and unique side stories as the game progresses.
- Choose the order that you want to complete some missions, with consequences for your choices (I am going to completely regret this one).
Before I ramble on a little bit, here’s the link for chapter 1. Please note this game contains violence, strong swearing and some mild drug references. Going forward expect more of the same.
I’ve been marinading these ideas for a long time now. I frequently pull over to the side of the road when driving to jot down more ideas. What I didn’t have was any sort of tangible progress. So I’ve finally made a real push to get it done and HOLY CRAP but it’s hard work. It’s great once you get into the zone but trying to find the time and energy is a real eye opener. My respect for anyone who has written something to completion has increased a hundred fold. Kudos . Now that Chapter 1 is done I’m actually really nervous as well to publish this but, as I keep telling myself, this is the whole point of it. I go through phases of liking and then loathing my writing so i’m apprehensive to see what people think. I might as well find out now rather than 20 Chapters down the line whether people like it!
Things I’ve learnt:
- A vast amount of choices seems good but when you spend hours writing them all and then you see 5% of them and they’re gone in a couple of clicks it’s a wake up call.
- CSIDE is incredibly useful in providing a consistent IDE wherever I am. Thank you!
- This is going to take a LONG time to do.
- There’s a potential situation where if you don’t take any ammunition you’re a bit stuck. I’ve covered all bar one situation but please, for now, just take the damn ammo
- Pistols are probably going to be phased out. I came to this conclusion right at the end of the chapter and it involves recalibrating a complex piece of code to do so i’ve just let them in for now. This will also help with some pacing issues in the same scene, hopefully.
I’m not going to commit to a firm timeline because that never works. Time is tight but motivation is high. We are talking months rather than weeks for updates though, just so that you’re expectations are in the right place. It will be worth it though!
Right I’m going to stop rambling and man up and press the create topic button…
Edit: Shiny polls!
Which meatstack did you choose on your first playthrough?
- Synthetic Meatstack
- Veteran Addict Meatstack
- Reptillian Meatstack
- John Doe Meatstack
What weapons did you choose on your first play through?
(I wasn’t sure how to force people to choose 2 options on the poll so this will have to do)
- Gauss Rifle
- Kinetic Knuckles
edit: Tracking progress
17/07/2017 - redesigned first half of chapter 2 to make it flow better. Tidied up mess of comments and variables from startup file. Started implementing structure logic for Chapter 2.
20 and 22nd /07/2017 - Prose, prose and prose. Ironing out some continuity glitches with the upcoming story.
24th/25th 07 2017 - Prose and fixed distance bug in the van chase when charging on second turn.
28th - Prose and implementing basic clothing selection/customization.
3rd August - Next set of structural logic setup and started filling in prose. AI companions started!
4th August - Prose