Polls about COG, HG, and IF games

I prefer numerical or percentage bars when I’m “playing to win” or debugging. But when playing story/RP-oriented interactive fiction, I prefer being more immersed where stat page actually explains what the numerical values mean in terms of story (ie. how NPCs feel about MC, what a high X value can theoretically do, etc.).

2 Likes

Are stat bars the ones with red and blue things like this?

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Well then, I like those. But I would prefer stuff like these.

Charming:
You are very charming and can persuade/lead people successfully

Intelligent:
You are well-read and excel on all these academics and always get too marks.

And so on and so on.

So yeah I like stat bars but I prefer these.

10 Likes

Hello,

I am starting work on my first game, and am curious what you all think about this question.

Currently, I do not differentiate in the character description on the stats page between characters who are born a particular gender and those who transition to that gender.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think there are good arguments for both approaches. Trans people exist, and simply showing them as “men and women” seems like erasure, whereas mentioning it seems like drawing attention to something that ultimately isn’t a primary feature of the character. So what do you think? Would you prefer to have your character explicitly described as a trans man or woman, or not to have any text difference between cis and trans characters?

How do you prefer for trans player characters to be referenced on the stats screen?
  • I would like a line in the character portrait referencing that my character is trans.
  • I would like there to be no difference between cis and trans characters in the character portrait.

0 voters

Edit: This is not quite 50 / 50, but it is close. Thanks to those who have already responded. Would you specify whether the other option would bother you if it was implemented and what your feelings are around this topic in general? Unfortunately, doing both approaches is going to add a lot, but at the same time, I recognize that this is important, so I’d like to find the 1 which the most people would find acceptable, as well as appreciating the specific opinions around this question. So in addition to your vote, could you go a little more into your thoughts, and let me know whether you would find the other approach a problem.

2 Likes

Hi all, hope you’re doing great.

In my book I have a character that communicates through some kind of “telepathic” thoughts to the main character, like having a conversation with someone but without spoken words, no need of line of sight also, so there’s no visual aids nor physical references from that character, only “hearing” if I could say so.

I have been using punctuation the wrong way since the beginning, so I need to learn which is the right way and the most accepted way, I need you to tell me which of these you think is most natural and understandable way of reading a “telepathic” dialogue.

I’ll give an example of a conversation between 3 characters:
Roger, the main character.
Betty, an npc.
Mark, the voice you hear inside your head.

code (so you can copy edit if you want)
[details="1."]
```
The horse makes you wobble on the chair with every step, continuous and rhythmic as you look at the greenery of the foliage around.

[i]Are you going to talk to her?[/i] the voice comes directly to your mind pulling you off from contemplating the environment.

[i]Wh-What?[/i] your eyes dart straight to her and then you look away trying to dissimulate [i]Why should I?[/i] you shrug trying to seem careless.

[i]Well, if you are not gonna say something at least you could stop staring at her like a creep[/i]

[i]I'm not looking at-[/i]

"Mind if you join?" Betty's words cut your thoughts, she is turning her torso towards you as her body moves to one side and the other. "Come on, don't be a stranger." She shows you a beautiful smile.

[i]You know I see everything you see right?[/i]

"Oh shut up!" Betty frowns at you, her smile fades away like a leaf taken by the breeze as you realize you spoke aloud "No! I… I mean, I was talking to myself." you excuse yourself and hit the horse on the side to pick up speed. [i]Are you always so annoying?[/i]

[i]I'm afraid not, but you can expect improvements, as the tendency seems to be to always try to overcome oneself.[/i] his voice resounded loud and clear dampening the noises from outside. [i]You on the other hand, are making an excellent progress, though I'll recommend you to switch your creepiness to something more… friendly[/i]

[i]I would if you could keep in silence[/i] "Hiii!" you say sounding happier than you intended as soon as you reach her.
```
[/details]

1. The CoG guidelines

The horse makes you wobble on the chair with every step, continuous and rhythmic as you look at the greenery of the foliage around.

Are you going to talk to her? the voice comes directly to your mind pulling you off from contemplating the environment.

Wh-What? your eyes dart straight to her and then you look away trying to dissimulate Why should I? you shrug trying to seem careless.

Well, if you are not gonna say something at least you could stop staring at her like a creep

I’m not looking at-

“Mind if you join?” Betty’s words cut your thoughts, she is turning her torso towards you as her body moves to one side and the other. “Come on, don’t be a stranger.” She shows you a beautiful smile.

You know I see everything you see right?

“Oh shut up!” Betty frowns at you, her smile fades away like a leaf taken by the breeze as you realize you spoke aloud “No! I… I mean, I was talking to myself.” you excuse yourself and hit the horse on the side to pick up speed. Are you always so annoying?

I’m afraid not, but you can expect improvements, as the tendency seems to be to always try to overcome oneself. his voice resounded loud and clear dampening the noises from outside. You on the other hand, are making an excellent progress, though I’ll recommend you to switch your creepiness to something more… friendly

I would if you could keep in silence “Hiii!” you say sounding happier than you intended as soon as you reach her.

“”

2. Everyone has their own visual key

“~Are you going to talk to her?~” the voice comes directly to your mind pulling you off from contemplating the environment.

“Wh-What?” your eyes dart straight to her and then you look away trying to dissimulate “Why should I?” you shrug trying to seem careless.

“~Well, if you are not gonna say something at least you could stop staring at her like a creep~”

“I’m not looking at-”

“Mind if you join?” Betty’s words cut your thoughts, she is turning her torso towards you as her body moves to one side and the other. “Come on, don’t be a stranger.” She shows you a beautiful smile.

“~You know I see everything you see right?~”

“Oh shut up!” Betty frowns at you, her smile fades away like a leaf taken by the breeze as you realize you spoke aloud “No! I… I mean, I was talking to myself.” you excuse yourself and hit the horse on the side to pick up speed. “Are you always so annoying?”

“~I’m afraid not, but you can expect improvements, as the tendency seems to be to always try to overcome oneself.~” his voice resounded loud and clear dampening the noises from outside. “~You on the other hand, are making an excellent progress, though I’ll recommend you to switch your creepiness to something more… friendly~”

“I would if you could keep in silence” “Hiii!” you say sounding happier than you intended as soon as you reach her.

3. Another simpler way...

~Are you going to talk to her?~ the voice comes directly to your mind pulling you off from contemplating the environment.

“Wh-What?” your eyes dart straight to her and then you look away trying to dissimulate “Why should I?” you shrug trying to seem careless.

~Well, if you are not gonna say something at least you could stop staring at her like a creep~

“I’m not looking at-”

~You know I see everything you see right?~

“Oh shut up!” Betty frowns at you, her smile fades away like a leaf taken by the breeze as you realize you spoke aloud “No! I… I mean, I was talking to myself.” you excuse yourself and hit the horse on the side to pick up speed. “Are you always so annoying?”

~I’m afraid not, but you can expect improvements, as the tendency seems to be to always try to overcome oneself.~ his voice resounded loud and clear dampening the noises from outside. ~You on the other hand, are making an excellent progress, though I’ll recommend you to switch your creepiness to something more… friendly.~

“I would if you could keep in silence” “Hiii!” you say sounding happier than you intended as soon as you reach her.

Feel free to suggest any other way, replace symbols by others, or whatever you want.

I prefer
  • 1 not MC / MC thoughts / “MC spoken words”
  • 2 “~not MC~” / “MC thoughts” / “MC spoken words”
  • 3 ~not MC~ / “MC thoughts” / “MC spoken words”

0 voters

Personally, the italics alone are too subtle for me, and I think I’ll get easily used to associate some symbol like ~ or any other to the “telepathic” thoughts that the MC “hears” inside his head. But I’m doing this book so you can enjoy it, so I’ll love to hear your opinion about it.

Thanks!

3 Likes

This could just be me, but I tend to associate sentences with tildes as denoting that the person saying them is using a singsong or high pitched voice, so using them for telepathy would take some relearning for me. I don’t think there’s any formal grammar rules for them in any case, so I’d say it’s best to just leave them out.

All told though, whether you use them or not, I think you’d be fine as long as you keep consistent and make sure you establish which sentences are thoughts and which are spoken. As long as you set up the rules to the audience about what quotation marks and/or italics mean and occasionally reinforce them, we should be able to follow the dialogue just fine. To that end, I feel like the first option is the most consistent one by nature.

6 Likes

This wasn’t an option in the poll but option number one came closest. For me, this is what I generally associate with telepathic conversations.

MC internal dialogue.

‘Telepathic dialogue/conversation with apostrophes.’ (Sometimes I might use acutes instead of apostrophes)

“Spoken dialogue.”

12 Likes

So it seems the winner is the CoG guidelines, but @AChubbyBlackCat also showed a way that received a bunch of likes on a short period, so I’ll like to make a final match to decide which one I should use.

1. The CoG guidelines

Are you going to talk to her? the voice comes directly to your mind pulling you off from contemplating the environment.

Wh-What? your eyes dart straight to her and then you look away trying to dissimulate Why should I? you shrug trying to seem careless.

Well, if you are not gonna say something at least you could stop staring at her like a creep

I’m not looking at-

You know I see everything you see right?

“Oh shut up!” Betty frowns at you, her smile fades away like a leaf taken by the breeze as you realize you spoke aloud “No! I… I mean, I was talking to myself.” you excuse yourself and hit the horse on the side to pick up speed. Are you always so annoying?

I’m afraid not, but you can expect improvements, as the tendency seems to be to always try to overcome oneself. His voice resounded loud and clear dampening the noises from outside. You on the other hand, are making an excellent progress, though I’ll recommend you to switch your creepiness to something more… friendly.

I would if you could keep in silence. “Hiii!” you say sounding happier than you intended as soon as you reach her.

2. The_Black_reaper way

‘Are you going to talk to her?’ the voice comes directly to your mind pulling you off from contemplating the environment.

‘Well, if you are not gonna say something at least you could stop staring at her like a creep’

I’m not looking at-

‘You know I see everything you see right?’

‘I’m afraid not, but you can expect improvements, as the tendency seems to be to always try to overcome oneself.’ His voice resounded loud and clear dampening the noises from outside. ‘You on the other hand, are making an excellent progress, though I’ll recommend you to switch your creepiness to something more… friendly.’

I would if you could keep in silence. “Hiii!” you say sounding happier than you intended as soon as you reach her.

3. Just ‘ ’ for all telepathic

‘Are you going to talk to her?’ the voice comes directly to your mind pulling you off from contemplating the environment.

‘Wh-What?’ your eyes dart straight to her and then you look away trying to dissimulate ‘Why should I?’ you shrug trying to seem careless.

‘Well, if you are not gonna say something at least you could stop staring at her like a creep’

‘I’m not looking at-’

‘You know I see everything you see right?’

“Oh shut up!” Betty frowns at you, her smile fades away like a leaf taken by the breeze as you realize you spoke aloud “No! I… I mean, I was talking to myself.” you excuse yourself and hit the horse on the side to pick up speed. ‘Are you always so annoying?’

‘I’m afraid not, but you can expect improvements, as the tendency seems to be to always try to overcome oneself.’ His voice resounded loud and clear dampening the noises from outside. ‘You on the other hand, are making an excellent progress, though I’ll recommend you to switch your creepiness to something more… friendly.’

‘I would if you could keep in silence.’ “Hiii!” you say sounding happier than you intended as soon as you reach her.

• 1 not MC / MC Thoughts / “MC spoken words”
  • 2 ‘not MC’ / MC Thoughts / “MC spoken words”
  • 3 ‘not MC’ / ‘MC Thoughts’ / “MC spoken words”

0 voters

This will be the last one, I promise, ‘I really hope it is.’ I’ll get to work after the results show me the way.
Thank you all!

3 Likes

Time for a bit of market research:

When buying and playing IFs or other low requirement games, which platform(s) do you prefer?

• Phone or tablet
  • Browser
  • Steam
  • Other PC (GOG etc.)
  • Itch.io
  • Would prefer all my games on console, if it was possible

0 voters

In games with heavy focus on narrative, which style do you prefer?

• Text only (CoG, Twine etc.)
  • Static graphics (Visual Novels)
  • Interactive graphics (Top-down RPG, point-and-click)
  • A mix of multiple or all of these

0 voters

I bought all my HGs on my Tablet. My Tablet is working fine despite it having a few cracks and close to it’s 2nd birthday. The CoGs work perfectly. On the other poll, I do not understand the text only thing?

Games that just have text, like CoGs and HGs.

As opposed to games that have graphics.

EDIT: I should probably also specify, that the mix/multiple style answer refers to multiple styles in the same game. That probably wasn’t clear enough.

1 Like

New (more elaborated) question:

In a narrative focused game, that is heavy on system (skills, attributes, randomization, combat, other rpg elements), which style(s) would you enjoy?

• Text only
  • Text with a few simple illustrations
  • Visual Novel
  • Point and click
  • Top-down RPG
  • Top-down exploration, with visual novel conversations
  • Point and click, with visual novel conversations

0 voters

2 Likes

wouldn’t that depand on the story and content?

Like…I can read those Visual Novel, with pictures and music (which I turn off), but I can also hate them cose the story is utterly boring and lame…written by a kid like mentality . Or I can fall in love, or get a good laugh cose it’s witty . Just like I can play a point&click game and find them too short , play once…then muh .

Meaning…it really depand on the content . Old Diablo was Top down, and its a master piece classic . Yet nowdays, I’m not sure I’ll be able to play a game like that . Don’t remember, but there was one like that and it gave me a headech. When you run, the map get blurry…and hence the headech .

I play all of the games in Steam, because that’s how I started, but at some point I’d like to move them to a mobile. All things considered, mobile is the best platform for these.

1 Like

I guess I’m trying to figure out if people inherently dislike or prefer a certain format? :thinking:

So, just assume that it’s a story you enjoy, if there’s graphics they’re pleasant to look at, and the gameplay isn’t frustrating.
Would any of the mentioned styles make you want to not play the game? Are there some you are more likely to want to play?

Interesting. Personally I’m okay with playing them on mobile, but I’d definitely rather use my laptop.

1 Like

It really depends on the development, implementation and followthrough of the game’s maker. I have seen both good and bad in every possible format…

This part of planning is where you should be figuring out YOUR vision for the game – you find that vision, execute it and everything else will click into place.

8 Likes

I would play anything, which for me depand on the content. I have played games where I utterly HATED and Loathed the fucking gameplay (Septerra Core is one), but still stuck to it cose the story was minnnnnnnnnd blowing and it was worth all the frustration and headech lol .

Guess the poll isn’t just aimed at me lol I do know there are peoples who hate Visual novels . Cose some come with choices (then peoples judge those choices if they have impact or not), and then you have similar Visual novels…where you are in a game format but all you do is click ‘next’ to see the story. So no choice or anything.

2 Likes

It just means you should chose every option. That’s what I did myself, because I can enjoy every style too, if it’s well made. :wink:

1 Like

So what is a Visual Novel?