One Thousand Blooms — (ON HIATUS)

With the new coding and storyline… I’m thinking… Because I’m realizing a lot of things that need to be taken care of (that’s why I like having people poking around, to find all the plot holes :blush: ). Mmmm… I kinda need the MC to… flourish later than normal for a lot of reasons. So, even if the MC can start early-ish to work towards taking over the Nightshade family… it will take at least a year. Well, it’s not like a wedding is prepared ipso facto.

The shame is more the MC’s family’s than the MC’s own, because it was the mother (the one who was in charge, then) who was unable to provide for her child. Maybe instead of it being Aquilegia’s 100% fault (though she still can’t handle money), I’ll kill Datura when the MC is 18, which very much excuse their failure, and still keep them behind their peers. …I’m not sure.

Well, if they have a greater title than hers, Duke Faerwald will 100% make her marry them, to hell with what Lady Faerwald wants for her baby daughter. I plan to add more nobles, with a very varied cast, so the MC can have friends and do their own deals.

If the MC becomes the Nightshade heir, they have to marry someone of the opposite sex 'cause they need an heir, but if it’s the cousin, then the MC will be free. Given the circumstances, I’ll have to remove the nb option from birth, though later on adolescence the player will be able to explore their gender.

I like that :joy: I’ll use it as the official curse word :blush:

2 Likes

I am another person who thought they’d check the game out. For some reason the demo ends fairly quickly while several of the people on the form are talking about reaching the MCs adulthood as if they had reached that point in the game. Can someone clarify?

The version everyone is talking about is the version as it had been entered in this year’s edition of CS Comp. That one went from the MC’s birth to after the MC’s efflorescence party. Unfortunately that version was plagued by quite some bugs, so the author decided to cut the story off before the point where the first bugs began popping up. Because of this the current playtest on this thread is a lot shorter.

3 Likes

@Cecilia_Rosewood hehe, it’s a good thing that you keep an open eye on the thread and answer all these questions :blush: As for now, I would have totally lost my patience after getting asked the same over and over and snapped at them; in just 200 posts I have the feeling they have asked that about 5 times, that and why the demo ends (and if it’s buggy) :sweat_smile:

Alright, I have a name for the MC and their cousin! 'Cause I don’t like referring to them with these terms, they feel so… impersonal! :persevere: So for now, the MC will be Shade (from their surname, 'cause I’m original like that), and their cousin, depending on whether they are male (Oleander) or female (Baladre), though the universal name is Nerium. …Let’s go with just Nerium, until I finally write them.

So let’s talk about the cousin! If your Shade is male, then you’ll get Baladre, and if you play as female, you’ll have Oleander :wink: WHY? Because of REASONS! Also, their remaining parent is your uncle-in-law (I’m thinking of calling him Strophanthus; yes the name IS ugly, but that’s the intention), from the Dogbane family, though I’m thinking of changing it to Matacanes. Anyways, Strophanthus doesn’t like Shade because he believes that they want to “usurp” what’s rightfully his children’s. Drama ensues!

Since I’m still making changes, I realized that the nb option doesn’t fit in the beginning; since Shade is very much Datura’s only child, and The Society is very much into gender roles (kind of? It’s not truly sexist as in “men are breadwinners and women homemakers”, but they have an idea of “girls do this, boys do that, because traditions, but if they don’t we won’t make a scandal” way…). Shade has to get married and produce spawn; they don’t have the option to be something else outside the binary genders. That is, in case they become the Head of the Nightshade family, but since they can very much rebel against The Society, that will change. Still, sorry for the inconveniences :disappointed_relieved: Do I make sense? :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Hm…you say the nb option doesn’t fit in the beginning…does that mean that MC will have the option to identify as nb later on or something similar?

1 Like

Exactly! In their teenager years, more or less. They will be able to identify as nb or transgender :grin:

6 Likes

I always think for my character, given the frowning on same sex marriage for the heir to the family:

[Signs over control of the family to her cousin and merrily skips away to find a wife] win/win! :smiley:

No, not win/win; if you don’t have status (besides the honorary title, which isn’t even yours but Datura’s), chances of Shade (the MC) being able to choose who they want to marry will be next to impossible. It will be a total and utter win for Oleander (the cousin). But! If they actually become the Head of the family, they can’t marry someone of the same sex, either! :scream_cat: I wonder what could you do :smirk:

Burning the existing social order and rules?

5 Likes

What if we do it on the condition of forcing them to extend us an honorary title again?
Then it may be a win/win, right?

Also if our same-sex lover is powerful enough couldn’t he give us some sort of (honorary) title as well?

1 Like

Haha, yes, that was one possibility! :smile:

Truth to be told, the idea was for the MC to marry their cousin (that’s why I made them the opposite sex), because that way The Society couldn’t protest since the possibility of a child would be 100% likely, BUT! Shade wouldn’t have to touch their cousin, nor even sleep on the same wing of the mansion/house, AND have a lover on the side. Just not marry them. Oleander/Baladre have their very own reasons as to marry Shade, but the decision is entirely up to the MC.

In this world Heir/ess are very important, but if one member of the marriage is sterile or something happened and can’t have children (those things happen), The Society will let it slip. Though it would be much better if there was another family branch that could carry on the mantle.

You know, that’s a wonderful idea! I totally didn’t think of it; Shade could hand over the right to be The Head of the Family in exchange of an honorary title/one of the proper ones. Though Oleander/Baladre wouldn’t be really pleased with it, though. They need to marry Shade, even with the condition of never touching them.

Regarding honorary titles, the definition says; a title of honor or honorary title is a title bestowed upon individuals or organizations as an award in recognition of their merits.

Following that reasoning, only people who accomplish military/scholastic/and such can get one. Though I’m kinda winging some things, and if I recall it correctly, Datura got it from his parents (because even if they didn’t approve of his choice of partner, and he very much stormed off, dumping all his titles on his little sister), they gave him that one. So in this world honorary titles are either gained from merits/your bloodline in certain circumstances.

Getting the title from a lover would kind of make all of the pains and headaches brought by The Society’s rules kind of go away, which I don’t want. Like, the only mode to make things go “your” way is to follow The Society’s rules, which is itself bitter in all its sweetness.

4 Likes

If we have to marry our cousin anyway then my mc would definitely want to be the head of the family himself, particularly if the cousin really isn’t able to do so herself. He’s already watched his mother run everything his father built into the ground and while he probably hates his grandparents and their name his pride would compel him to do far better than his mother and possibly even than his bigoted grandparents just to show them.

At least, unlike Rhona it seems our cousin isn’t really eager to bed us and is quite willing to live separate lives making them a far preferable alternative. The only difficulty will be how to get there in-game, since our idiot mother has just agreed to the betrothal with Rhona and we probably need to find a way to break that first as well as a way to become “successful” enough that our grandparents name us heir, right?
Which likely means subjecting ourselves to a lot of abuse from our supposed peers by becoming an intelligence “officer” in the army, a career my poor mc will likely hate, but with our disgraced background it is likely the only division that will even accept us as an officer right? And unfortunately I don’t think our grandparents will like it if we become a common soldier either.

1 Like

Lol well I did the same thing to become Queen in Dragon Age [shrug] as long as he doesn’t touch me and my girlfriend can live with me then I can live with it :smile:

@idonotlikeusernames well, the marriage itself wouldn’t put an immediate end to the power struggle; it would just make things much easier in general. Oleander/Baladre still want(s) to be the Head, though they would be much more reasonable to step down if your MC had a good relationship with them and was capable enough. Now, it makes us wonder, why is your cousin like that?

[details= The issue with Oleander/Baladre]
It’s very easy, truth to be told; they are (gray) aromantic and (gray) asexual and suffer from deep rooted misanthropic tendencies. So the idea of having to marry and put up with someone they probably won’t stand is less than attractive. Heck, they would rather poison themselves, but at the same time they love their gransparents and father (they have issues with humans as a whole, not all people individually, if I explain myself?) and want to carry on with the Nightshade Family, at least for one more generation.

That’s where Shade, their cousin, comes in (useful). If they marry them, not only will they “ease” one of their grandparents biggest regrets (what happened with Datura years back, because they will make sure that your MC doesn’t end up with someone worse or even more estranged), but their father will also be more relaxed knowing that Shade won’t have everything and leave his child with anything, AND kept them out of the unmarried market. It’s basically all good points for them.

So what if he can’t touch your MC or even share the same wing of the mansion? Fine by them, though since they will see a lot of each other it’s better if they are at least civil/on friendly terms. Your MC has a lover on the side? Perfect, just don’t be indiscreet; not everyone in this (fake) marriage has to be celibate. Shade wants to be the Head of the family? Well, Oleander/Baladre wants too, so unless you happen to be more suited, though luck. Basically it’s all win/win.[/details]

Well, or you could just give up on all your rights of heirship to your cousin, who then would hold the title of Marquiss/Marchioness, which is higher than Rhona’s (Countess) and revoke the betrothal, since your cousin would be “the better offer”. So… your options would be:

1)Give up your ambitions and get rid of Rhona the fast, easy way.
2)Make it messy wanting to be the (official) Head of the family and making the process longer.

They have learned from their mistakes; a lot of things they were against/not so prone to accept are given a second thought, and given your MC’s situation… well, they surely won’t be as demanding as Duke Faerwald. So if Shade manages enough merits/shows to be able to be capable of being the Head of the family, “even” if they are a common soldier/intelligence officer, they will accept you.

Or if you were to marry your cousin, they would be willing to overlook a lot of things too.

Okay, I’m curious; how do you pronounce the names? I have a hard time since I’m Spanish and the way I pronounce things is very different, so I wanna know. Like, I say Maetthere like this (sorry if you don’t understand it :disappointed_relieved:)

Maetthere: MY/MEE — ETHER

What about you?

1 Like

I’m Polish and it’s like MA-Eh-Dehr for me.

1 Like

Yeah, no way since my mc hates his grandparents if he has to have anything further to do with them he wants the nice bits of the inheritance. He doesn’t want to be Rhona’s “trophy wife” so he doesn’t want to be his cousin’s either.

He may be prepared to “marry” his cousin under the right circumstances but not if it just means switching whose trophy we become (although the fact that they won’t expect regular straight sex is likely to be a huge improvement over Rhona, but since it also means becoming more involved with his grandparents, who he likely cannot stand that alone won’t be enough anymore I’m afraid).
So I guess it’s back to plan B there, get a rich idiot with a fancy title just as interested in Rhona as she is in us so her father will force her to marry them instead of our poor little mc’s.

Except in those two careers it will be hard to either get our deeds acknowledged by “polite society” because as a common soldier, unless you do something physically “heroic” you mostly just get campaign ribbons with the credit for your work being claimed by the “proper” officers.
On the other hand as an intelligence officer I assume that most of our “successes”, while acknowledged by our superiors and maybe even the equivalent of the President/King/Emperor nearly all of them will be classified for at least a couple of decades and perhaps indefinitely.
Therefore both of those careers will make it (very) hard to earn to sort of medals and accolades one can show off to society. :unamused:

1 Like

So! Sorry for taking so long, but college is currently killing me. Life is wonderful.

I’m working on the MC’s personality and the younger years; we are going to have a good handful of them, so by the time they reach 18 in-game, I hope all of you feel like they are your character(s) and not some puppet you named. So the kiddie years will take the prologue, chapter 1, and 2, I think? Maybe.

I’m also creating plenty of NPCs for the story, making relationships and kinship ties (because in this world, everyone has siblings, cousins, second/third-cousinds, betrotheds, former betrotheds, dead siblings/parents/kids/partners, there are bastards…), and I’m coming up with a lot of characters and then some. Below I’ll tell you of some.

Also, I was planning to have this game rated a friendly 12 in the parental guide, but… stuff happened. Looks like I’m unable to make kid friendly stories, so… yeah, that’s it. I don’t know if I should rate it 16+ or 18+, because while I’m not going to make it gore-heavy like my other game, well… there’s some hard stuff too. It’s not historically accurate because it’s not set in our XVII/XVIII/XIX centuries, so some elements mix and match, but I want to deal with lots of things too. Like, outright homophobia is not one of them, but there are huge expectations for a “cisgender” male-female marriage; gender and sex are going to be an important part too, because as the only kid of Datura, the MC has a lot of “do’s and don’ts”, regardless of their social status. What we understand for a family too, since I very much put “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb” in the beginning of the game, and many other things.

CLICK HERE if you want to read about some characters

Adonis Crowfoot: the MC’s uncle (on their mother’s side). Also know as the soldier in green, you won’t see much of him, 'cept if you pick the military path, then you’ll see him a lot 'cause he’s a General (don’t quote me, though; I have to check a lot of things before making it 100% official). He used to call his lover Marshmallow and currently calls his ward Cotton; try to guess what kind of man he is.

Mona Orpine: Maynard and Maetthere’s mom. They never talk about her.

Perebea Faerwald, neé Mulberry: the current Lady Faerwald, mother of Coriander and Rhona. Loves to dote on her daughters, specially the youngest. She didn’t have a good reputation before marrying Caelan because of Coriander, but is every bit of what The Society considers a “proper” lady.

Cherry (the redhead in the original demo :wink: ): Rhona and Coriander’s cousin on their mother’s side, has a ton of sisters (Apple, Carica “Figgy”, and Apricot. They get called “The Fruity Sisters”) and has kind of the middle child syndrome, since Apple is the Rose heiress, Figgy the Mulberry heiress, and Apricot is the youngest. Hell-bent on marrying Maetthere.

Some servants, like Savin, Evergreen and Gigi/Dee Dee: depending on your Shade’s designated sex at birth, you’ll get either the valet (Gigi) or the maid (Dee Dee). Savin and the Nanny, whose named I changed to Privet, will work as your MC’s main caretakers in their kiddie years, and they are going to be at each other’s throats. Mostly because Privet is on Aquilegia’s side whereas Savin is on Datura’s.

The much older man who is going to pursue Rhona is named Phorad Sandalwood, son of Emer Sandalwood. Phoras first tried to get Coriander’s hand when she was 16, saying things like “if you were a courtesan I would be your most loyal customer” and stuff like that. So of course, he got shot down very fast, and not only for his lacking manners, but because he’s just gross. Years later, when Rhona was 16, he would try again, with an age gap of 15 years. The current holder of the Sandalwood title is still Emer, and he stubbornly refuses to die and let Phorad inherit, because he’s very much ashamed of his own son. Emer wants to disown him, but his wife won’t let him.

I also did some world building, like rules and whatnot. For example, it’s strictly forbidden to touch Thorns; from burgeons (kids of nobles who didn’t get their Efflorescence yet) to rankless staff. The former because they are kids and it’s wrong on so many levels, and the latter because it would be like coercion, kind of taking advantage of them (after all they wouldn’t dare to say no for a lot of reasons. They can’t consent). Doing such will mean that the perpetrator will be stripped of all their titles and rights, and throw in jail/executed; The Peers of the Realm have no patience or mercy for such things.

Things like scars are shameful because the body is thought to be very (extremely) important, and having scars show that the person does a very poor job of keeping it safe/cared for. Beauty is very important too. Tattoos and piercings are not done, and prostitution is a big no for the same reason; “putting a price” on someone’s body, regardless of rank, age, sex, gender or opinions is a no. The body is priceless, it’s like trying to sell air. It’s not done legally and in very few places, and if caught, people who ask for services/buys them are punished in a harsher fashion than the one offering them.

Homosexuality is not forbidden or punishable, but it’s always better if affairs and dalliances (homosexual or not) are kept out of the spotlight. Also, it’s much more preferable to marry someone of the opposite sex because The Society very much prefers unions that can bring kids into the world and carry on with the family legacy. That’s why bisexual people tend to marry the opposite sex instead of having a same-sex union. Homosexual weddings can happen, except if they are the heir(ess) and their siblings are very much useless and not suitable to become the Head of the Family, or only children.

They don’t ask for the bride/groom to keep their virtue intact, just keep themselves childless and out of scandals; a lot of times, as long as it is not known, they let slid by a lot of things. If a pregnancy were to happen, then they have to marry; abortion, unless it’s for a medical need or a specific case, it’s not to be done. It’s rare for this to happen since a lot of people either marry young, or know how to use anticonceptive herbs (though once married, it’s forbidden to take them).

The reason they are so strict with abortion is because there has been less and less births over the years; they are dramatically decreasing. Also, there are a lot of sterile heirs, stillborns, miscarriages, etc. And well, there’s the occasional murder accident, so… That’s why there’s a huge pressure to marry someone of the opposite sex and have more than one kid. For example, Caelan Faerwald has 4 kids under his wing (Maynard, Coriander, Maetthere and Rhona), but he wasn’t an only child either; he had a brother named Eddrick, a stillborn sister, and another dead sibling.

If the union is between two persons who hold their own title, none of them lose their surname, regardless of their partner’s social standing, and will be called by it (e.g: Marchioness Nightshade and Earl Bane). If the marriage was between someone with a title and a second/third kid, then the one not holding a title will be Lord/Lady and change their surname to their partner’s (e.g: Duke Faerwald and Lady Faerwald, neé Mulberry).

These are a few things, so if you are curious about anything, ask away :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Will there be a new demo posted in Dashingdon?

Don’t stress yourself too much, pretty much everyone here understands how draining rl can be.

I’m just happy to see this story still well alive, no matter how long it takes until it gets updated. I will wait patiently. And hey, you somewhat updated us with all that lore :heart_eyes:

:fearful: Ugh…yeah…with that my MC rather prefers exile or a military career. You want some children from this poor MC? Take those 10 adopted war orphans, that’s the only thing you will get…and maybe some cats…Cat Lady MC…:cat2:

You just gave my MC one more reason to burn down the existing social order…well besides just for the lulz…

:frowning: Wa-! Don’t those people see how cool battle scars can be? Or tattoos? Or like anything?
…now my MC will try get some fancy scars just for the hell of it.

I guess spite will be a huge motivation for my MC…

3 Likes

All my MC wants is one thing and that is vengeance aginst all who have wronged her.

1 Like