It’s the end of the world… and you don’t feel fine.
It’s just another humdrum day as the weekend winds to its inevitable end. All is as expected. The pandemic has stretched on for a decade now. A new serial killer stalks the streets. And your completely normal club is waiting. Just another ordinary day.
Just ignore the sounds in your living room. Just ignore that shadow scuttling across the floor. Just ignore the lies of the ‘friend’ whose known you for years. He’s lying. She’s lying. That stranger on the street is lying. And the voices whispering in your mind are definitely lying.
Everyone is lying… especially the traitor who’s infiltrated the group.
But that’s fine…
Y̥͑̅̌̔̉ͯo̼̩̖̓ͪ̽͢ǔ̢͢͏̫͕͋’͎̬́͐ͥ᷇͢r̉͏͍̾᷉̓̓e͓͕ͦ̿᷅͆͠ l̜̻̈̅̃͢͞y̡̬͙̪̦̦ͧi̘᷅̓͒̐̍͑n̰͈᷅ͯͥͨ͜g̯᷾̒̑᷄̕͟ t̶̙͍̏͊᷈͠o̙̟ͦ̏̄ͭ͂o̥̮͆ͤ͐͝͠.̛͚̎᷇̍̕͜
Update 3: 02/01/24 Major Bug Fixes
Update 3 Includes...
- Fixed bug where choosing to be an épéeist redirects to the foilist choice if the MC prefers to use long swords (also fixed the a épéeist typo in the same choice.
- Fixed the trailer attack being mentioned during the fight against the hellhound and during Merlin’s lore dump conversation
- Added long sword response for certain MC’s in the weapons talk with Merlin
- Fixed adrian_arthur/adrian_arthurian disambiguation bug that made it seem that MC always had Arthurian talk with Adrian
- Fixed Shrek/Sword in the Stone/Camelot Musical references
- Fixed(?) bug with current weapon on hand not triggering
- Fixed the bugs with the MC’s fencing lame.
- Removed Maelgwyn/Maelgyn typos
- Clarified "Modron"s background in Merlin’s Guide
- Fixed bug where game assumes a friendly MC has already seen Adrian’s text message in the fencing route
- Fixed Flip1/Flip2 showing up for lucky MC’s when using the Magic 8-Ball
- Fixed various bugs concerning the current status of the MC’s fencing gloves
- Fixed Stratchclyde/Strathclyde typos
- Fixed bug where people were getting +2 Silent instead of +1
- Added wiki to Adrian Garf during the Mist talk with Adrian
- Tactics & Photographic Memory now gray out some less than optimal choices during the fencing club route
Update 2: 01/16/24 Chapter 1 Part 3 (Fencing Club Route)
Update 2 Also Includes...
- Calmly letting Merlin into your apartment after escaping the monster-under-the-bed no longer removes the mute flag
- Fixed Adrian literally calling the MC as “MC” in the pub
- Fixed expresso back to espresso AGAIN *stares at it*
- Fixed the phil_status 2 bug AGAIN (Somehow I must’ve reverted a bunch of bug fixes in Chapter 1)
- Fixed bug where MC’s name permanently changes to their pseudonym if the player tried to back out of the renaming screen
- Fixed the “On second thought, let me try a different fake first name…” option so it only asks the player to change their fake first name (as originally intended)
- Fixed some dialogue with Adrian depending upon your clothing choices in the polo club branch
- Fixed the Adrian text messaging bug. Again. Hopefully third time is the charm.
- Fixed bug where your current job being your dream employment wasn’t triggering the positive job attitude flavor text
- Fixed bug where the mute flag was being toggled off when interacting with Adrian regarding your fancy outfit before the polo club meeting
- Choice where Lucid Dreamer MC talks to Modern Arthur about Merlin’s dreamwalking advice is now set to toggle only when the MC speaks to Merlin in the Camelot dream sequence
- Fixed bug with the user’s input option for Business Casual outfit
- User’s choice option for Business Casual & Business Suit now toggles pants or skirt variable
- Fixed bug with the Cracking text effect in darkmode
- All piercings & scars now available in one choice during customization.
- Fixed bug (AGAIN!) when Lucky MC fails the luck check to escape the bed monster
- Added reactions to Camelot-affiliated names belonging to inanimate objects
- Fixed *set ag2 2 -1* bug in Camelot dream sequence (I wonder how that didn’t trigger QuickTest)
Update 1: 11/16/23 Chapter 2 Part 1(Camelot Dream Sequence)
Update 1 Also Includes
- New option to stop packing early in the packing section.
- Hair highlights have been tweaked so only flamboyant colors (blue etc) activate the ‘striking’ flag
- Clarified that the Fairy Princess option removes the ‘mute’ flag
- Clarified ‘hecatomb_rue’ as Adrian’s screenname
- ‘Low-neck T-shirt & Jeans’ vs ‘Low Neck Shirt & Jeans’ bug fixed
- Intimidation bug fixed (stat was increasing after viewing the stats menu)
- Loredump Pro achievement bug fixed
- Fixed inventory bug that wouldn’t let you draw your sword/gun/knife during the protect Merlin sequences
- Monster-under-the-bed stat check has been made easier
- Lowered threshold to receive willpower boost
- Increased fear threshold for easier passing of some stat checks
- Raised threshold for possession check at certain parts
- Various other stat + flavor checks have had their thresholds tweaked
- Fixed bug where not changing your opinion of Adrian made the game assume you had a good relationship
- Harry Potter references now gated behind choosing a Harry Potter related dialogue option.
- 2 new shortened versions of the MC customization scene now available
Sound Effect Alert: Turn Down Your Volume At Start of Game
- Total Word Count: 614,000+
- Including Code: 833,000+
- Average Playthrough: ~60,000 words
- Average if you play ‘ask Adrian and Merlin five million questions around the city’: Considerably longer
LINKS: Tumblr Dev Blog
You’re a Harbinger of the Apocalypse… or so it’s been claimed. The destined reincarnation of a legendary hero from the time of Camelot. For the sake of the world, reclaim your past memories & powers and discover the true identities of yourself and your current companions.
For the sake of your survival, make certain that you’re a member of the successful Greater Circle… because in the end, only thirteen are needed and it doesn’t have to include you. The two previous Circles have failed and all their members paid the price for it…
…but third time’s the charm, ̷r̸i̷g̵h̴t̶?
Everyone is lying. That most certainly includes you. And one is an enemy infiltrator who’s entire purpose is to (murderously) sabotage this last and final circle. Who will you trust and who will you trick? The fate of both you and the world hangs in the balance.
Genres: Dark Urban Fantasy (with mystery/thriller/horror elements). The Camelot flashback sections are more High Fantasy.
- Play Among Us/Werewolf/Mafia/The Thing/The Mole/Danganronpa/Town of Salem/etc Arthurian lore style! (Also don’t forget the apocalypse, that’s kind of important)
- Lovingly craft your character in intimate detail or slap down that [Randomly Generate Your Appearance] button like I do.
- Choose your sad childhood background and your potentially even sadder (or more traumatic or more traumatically evil) deep, dark secret which must be hidden at all cost
- Play one million questions around the city with not-so-random people or go “Screw this lore dump, I’m taking a nap!”
- ᕕ(✿ ᐛ )ᕗ ← Merlin on their way to a six hour lecture because you had to ask every single question in their dialogue tree. I mean, there’s an Achievement for doing that, so you do you.
- Spend the entire time during this IF about Arthurian lore going “Who is Arthur and what’s a Camels-a-lot?” (Yes, this a legit strategy to get through the game)
- Figure out your previous Camelot reincarnation from amongst four different potential backgrounds (determined by your actions in the Camelot flashback sections). Or go “Nuts to this mystery!” and just wait to get your magic powers already. (Uh, you probably should still try and figure out who’s trying to kill you, though)
- Act like a saint, act like a psychopath, or randomly burst into song & dance like you’re trapped in a Disney musical at the most inappropriate moments.
- Survive the night… or die horribly and collect the Dead Ends like pokemon who give clues to what’s happening in the greater narrative. (You won’t be the only one… dying, that is)
- Get randomly turned into a water fowl (I mean, it’s Merlin, after all)
- Look out that window… you know you want to.
- Features creepy sound effects (which you can turn off from the main menu)
(Yes, this is basically Red Flag the Romance. Yes, there are ROs who can have a perfectly healthy relationship with you from the very beginning… and there are also ones who’ll just kill you. Good luck figuring out who is who. Also platonic buddy versions are a go.)
The nominal leader of this motley crew and the only one who knows what’s truly going on… or so they claim.
A shape shifting incubus who takes on the most appealing form of whoever is viewing them. Always elegant, always smiling, always for the greater good… a beautiful facade that hides a heart that’s entirely inhuman.
Unlike the others, they will never directly lie to you… lies of omission don’t count, right?
“Dear child, that’s for me to know and for you to find out, as they are wont to say. Shall we try again?”
ADRIAN BENONI (M)
A close friend, an unrequited crush, a passing acquaintance, a suspected stalker… the tone of your relationship may change, but what does not is that you’ve known this guy for years. A familiar presence within a world that’s suddenly become ever-so-strange.
But what darkness hides behind the ever amiable front that he always presents around you? Well…maybe not always. Why does he seem so desperate to like you even while keeping you an arm’s length away?
“I’m sure that if we all just came together in solidarity that we— h-hey you don’t have to laugh that hard about it!”
PERCY T. LONGSPEAR (M)
Someone who marches to the sound of his own drum… on a different planet somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.
Most assuredly the most strangely perceptive of the group, if only anyone could understand exactly what he’s saying. A potential soulmate to a very certain version of the MC.
Who his past reincarnation seems to be is so blatantly obvious that it’s the very height of suspicion.
“Why did I come in through the vents? Why would I use a *door*?”
CASSANDRA DE VAUX (F)
A detective who intercepted the group during an investigation of… well, it’s not exactly complete chaos that you’re leaving in your wake, is it?
No-nonsense when on the job, but playful during down times, she joined with little convincing or fanfare… but has she truly allied with the cause or is this just another sting operation to her?
And why does she seem so much more… wait what were we talking about again?
“Scintillating. Now please explain again from the top… you were doing *what* in the museum that night?”
GWYNETH REYNARD (F)
A vivacious and sweetly cheerful member of the group that pulls off true optimism far better than certain other members… even if she wears that sunny disposition like a suit of armor.
You found her wandering in an abandoned nineteenth-century mental asylum. A perfectly normal place to meet. (After all, you were there too!) And certainly there’s a completely sensible explanation for why she doesn’t want to head back home as well.
“Oh, are we making claims on who we want to be now? Then I want to be Buttercup from the Princess Bride!”
LORELEI GUERRIER (F)
An Olympic archer who is as unflappable as she is coolly distant. She has the rather laudable capability of beating down a lesser hellhound with nothing but a mop for a weapon.
Certainly her joining would be nothing but a boon to the group. Too bad she possesses nothing but cynicism and antipathy for the idea of chivalry and knights in shining armor.
But surely she’s a champion of Camelot, right?
“The virtue of a knight? Someone that parades around in self indulgence, all for the glory of their own pride, while better people are left wanting. That’s the true face of your so-called chivalry.”
BRODERICK DOE (M)
A grumpy, recalcitrant, and somewhat foulmouthed addition to the group. He really, really doesn’t want to be here. He thinks you’re all insane. (He may be right in certain instances.)
But someone has to keep an eye out during all this craziness, right?Especially if there’s a kernel of truth to this apocalyptic nonsense.
Of course, there’s no one in this city, this state, this country registered as ‘Broderick Doe’.
“And let me be clear here… I don’t trust a single one of you chucklefucks!”
̶̇̊͒̋͜4̸̼̕͜0̸͖̭̎͝4̴̹͈̍ ̸̯̱̦͓͑̑Ȩ̵̧̺̩̉̈́ŗ̸̔̄͊̍r̷̙̾̓̇o̷̧̩̻͇̽̊͗̋r̵̮̘̒̓ ̴̧̳̺͐̆̾̅N̵͕͐o̶̘͍͗t̴̫͋́̆̋ ̵͔͒͑͐F̵̹̍̈́̿ó̵̡̹͒͆ũ̴͈̠͘n̶̢̺̰̬̋ḑ̶̲͛̔͗̕ (???)
T̶O̵O̶ ̴L̷A̸T̸E̷ ̵T̴O̸O̵ ̷L̸A̵T̴E̶ ̴T̸O̶O̶ ̵L̴A̵T̸E̶ ̴T̸O̴O̷ ̶L̴A̴T̵E̶ ̴T̴O̷O̷ ̴L̶A̶T̴E̶ ̴T̸O̵O̶ ̶L̶A̸T̷E̴ ̵
CAMELOT ROMANCE OPTIONS
(Currently sealed away, so you can only interact with them in dreams and flashbacks)
ARTHUR PENDRAGON (M)
The Once and Future King, the doomed High King of Camelot who is fated to return at humanity’s greatest moment of need and lead them in survival during the end times.
The ideal that always had a surprising streak of pragmatism to it. If only he would wake up. He’s so very, very late you see. And things have spiraled wildly out of control in his absence.
A figure that’s currently haunting your dreams.
“You think I missed my calling as a troubadour? Mayhaps… for what is politics but a form of mummery?”
The third and current Lady of the Lake. One of the fae who is aligned with your side through blood oaths and promises as strong as compulsion.
One of the ones who sealed Merlin away and who remains bound at the very edge of the Veil even now. The tales never mentioned the part where she’s a mari-morgan that drowns people, did they?
“Hear this song… come along… just drift a little closer, pretty thing of mine. Simply a step closer… merely a bit *deeper*.”
(All of these scenes are already in the game… buried in there somewhere amidst the 800k+ of text. Good luck finding them!)
Adrian loves the Cloudcuckoolander MC
Pessimist MC is having a great time here
Tsundere MC being their normal self…
Only the most serious of conversations during this emergency
Merlin makes their very subtle and discreet entrance in a game that had no overt magic until this point.
Text message your ROs for fun and profit!
Special prizes for particularly spectacular stat failures.
Oh wait, this is supposed to be horror, right?
- Cover Art of The End of the Beginning (It’s animated… sloooowly)
Particularly looking for feedback on…
- Eternally looking for typos and bugs etc. I’ve done four polishing runs through Chapter 1 and I’m still finding them.
- The stat data shown at the end of a playthrough. I need to know if I’m setting the stat checks too high/too low etc.
- Any answers in the following polls to determine if everyone/no one is getting possessed, if I should jettison some particularly unpopular inventory items that will take a long time to code, if a branch is too obscure etc.
- Fencing versus Polo comparisons.
- Anything constructive.