Older development thread (The Aegis Saga - Blood)

The trailer: Trailer – Charles Parkes

Latest version of demo: https://charlesparkes.com/story-demo/

The website for ‘The Aegis Saga’ is www.charlesparkes.com :grin:

And pictures inspiring the writing of the Saga: https://charlesparkes.com/inspiration/

Hello everyone, I’m Charles Parkes and I am close to completing my first story ‘The Aegis Saga - Blood’.

It’s the first time I’ve ever tried something like this: writing / choicescript / I’m even a first time forum’er, so please forgive the rough edges.

‘Blood’ is the first in an intended series of three stories playing out on the bayeux tapestry-like Eris.

Eris, (the greek word for Strife), is a fantasy world named after our own greek goddess of discord. She’s described by the poet Hesiod as taking two ‘wholly different’ forms - the first Strife is ‘evil’, while the second - ‘harsh Strife’ - makes us competitive. Heriod says of this second form of Eris, “a man would praise her when he came to understand her”:

“So, after all, there was not one kind of Strife alone, but all over the earth there are two”. . . “one fosters evil war and battle, being cruel: her no man loves; but perforce, through the will of the deathless gods, men pay harsh Strife her honour due.”

“This Strife is wholesome for men”, “neighbor vies with neighbor”. “She stirs up even the shiftless to toil”
(and Hesiod says the goddess Eris is to blame for choicescript authors getting angry or competitive with other choicescript minstrels too :blush:)

But to return to my fantasy world.

The Aegis is the comet above Eris, upon whose passage the turn of time is marked for those on the world below. It has religious significance too for those who wield magic - or ‘glyf’, though be warned that such power is not used freely on Eris. ‘Glyf’ risks your life and the lives of those you love around you by threatening the fabric of the world of Eris itself. So tread lightly.

The tale is composed as a delineated choice-driven life story told in the first person. Death is not around every corner on Eris - ‘The Aegis Saga’ is intended to be enjoyed as a form of interactive novel that you reach the end of. You won’t find stats either (though I’ve liked their use in many other Cog publications), but I hope you will find a deep story fabric to fall into and enjoy, filled with danger, beauty, choice and friendships. I’ve certainly had much joy writing it -

Charles Parkes

The translation of Hesiod’s Works and Days was by Hugh G. Evelyn-White.

(older demo - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47183494/‘The%20Aegis%20Saga%20-%20Blood’%20Demo%20v2/web/mygame/index.html )

46 Likes

Thanks to all you brave beta-tester volunteers!

So I’m planning to get a copy of ‘The Aegis Saga - Blood’ out for beta-testing in a couple of weeks via Dropbox. And I’m so glad so many nice people said they’d be willing to test ‘Blood’ out for me.

I’ve just introduced a longish demo at the top of this thread, but because I don’t want to turn your generosity to boredom straight-away, beta-test volunteers might want to consider waiting for the full version, which I’ll send to you soon.

So a massive thanks for the support of:

@SirLordChris (infinite kudos for being first to say yes)
@vampierkid222
ZoeSenka
@FinalFantasyFreak
@TheTrueKing
@trinnie
valentine_v_daygirl
@Dawn_Mason
@Lycos117
alliebee
Jinx_the_Atomic_Cat
shettiejw
IceeCry
Zeus
DarkSoul
Dancingcups
Sherlock221B
Wicked_Hearts
@SuperNova
@Personaddict07
@Silhuetta
poison_mara

You guys and gals are all now officially minstrels of Eris.

9 Likes

Hi, I am Mara and I usually role-playing evil characters based in Charisma and subtle ways. If your game has some sort of evil rute or a betrayal plot I could give you ideas. If not I am not your girl, I really suck giving goodie to shoes ideas or feedback really.

2 Likes

I’d like to beta test.

I’d love to beta test, if you have me. I adora Greco-Roman mythology and I’ve experienced a lot of different takes on the portrayal of magic, so I think I could offer a couple of thoughts here and there.

I would love to beta-test for you, nightcap

1 Like

Always willing to help if you need it, I’ve beta tested for others x

I would love to beta-test. As little as I know about the story, it does have an interesting premise and I prefer the lack of stats so I don’t have to keep going back and forth to see what they are like after every choice.

I would love to beta-test for you as well!

1 Like

Seems interesting. I’d give it a go.

1 Like

I volunteer as a beta tester if you’ll have me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to help beta test if that’s ok

1 Like

Sounds interesting I’d like to be a beta tester

1 Like

hi, i would love to test your games

1 Like

This sounds fun. Would like to test it’s waters.

1 Like

Sounds rather intriguing. I’d love to test it if you don’t mind.

1 Like

I would love the chance to test it out, its sounds original and seems like it would be a fascinating read.

1 Like

Hello Mara,

Thanks for being my first ever replier to a post!
I’m chilled and thrilled to have such a scary, sneaky, do-gooder bashing slivertongue considering helping me out with ideas for ‘The Aegis Saga’.

Yes ‘Blood’ and its sequels have a little more than their fair share of scheming and betrayal. And yes I would actually love your help. . .
if you don’t mind reading the demo (freshly introduced in the first post), I’d really like you to think about the relationship between the dual Queens of the unified state called the Two Kingdoms.

If you have some ideas, I’m hoping to look into those two characters more in 'Blood’s sequel - ‘Forged’.

They are pretty powerful, cunning, manipulative rivals - there’s no way they’re going to let each other take what the other wants. And all these poor people living in the Two Kingdoms rely upon them for their bread, the integrity of their faith, and the security of their homes. . . go figure.

2 Likes

Hi TheTrueKing, very glad to have Britain’s authentic Canadian overking onboard - making posts and taking names.

I’m also outraged at the lies and falsities laid against your blood of King Arthur lineage. I always thought there was something suspicious about Elizabeth 2’s family name ‘Windsor’. It always sounded a bit too suspiciously like Sax-Coburg-Gotha to me. . .

1 Like

Hi trinnie - fantastic! It’s probably a good idea to have someone around with an actual knowledge of Greco-Roman mythology. And hells, if you can claim to know about magic, that makes you pretty unique around us mere mortals.

Did I mention that my primary school actually forced me not to take a Latin entrance exam? Yeah! Somehow they thought -5% in the mocks was the kind of grade that would drag the school’s averages down.

You show me someone who remembers to underline the heading every time. .

1 Like