Old guy trying to learn something new

Please forgive me if this sounds stupid-
Where do I begin to upload my script so I can work on it, when I have the, Doc, Editor, Tests, Web etc up?
I’m trying to get my old head around this.
I write a lot of stories and would like to spend the winter doing something more creative. My stories are quote from a teacher- “excitement in every page.”.
Thank you,
Jack

5 Likes

No not stupid.

Most people are using Dashingdon to host their games nowadays.

I made a topic with some useful links if you’ve not seen it.

3 Likes

You should have a choice-script folder on your computer - if you access that then go to the game files, you’ll see the text files there and should be able to write there.

Be sure to keep copies

Once you write scenes you can upload it to the hosting site.

3 Likes

Eiwynn, thank you.
I have, dfabulich-choicescript zip file up. Where is the text file on it.
Eiwynn, sorry if I sound stupid, but my old brain is not the best.
Kind regards,
Jack

You are going to have to unzip the file. then you go into the sub-directory of “Web” -> “mygame” ->“scenes”

1 Like

I’m in. Thank you.
Now what do I do?
Jack

Now use this link and start a tutorial located within: @FairyGodfeather’s Master List

2 Likes

Eiwynn,
Sorry about being a pest, but when I go into scenes all I get in the sub headers are- Animal, ChoiceScript stats, Death, ending, go-sub, start up etc. and these load up in adobe reader pdf.
Eiwynn, I’m a writer and I’m used to putting up a blank word page and going from there.
Is there anyway I can work from a blank page to make a game?
Kindest,
Jack

[quote=“JackS, post:8, topic:22022, full:true”]
Eiwynn,
Sorry about being a pest, but when I go into scenes all I get in the sub headers are- Animal, ChoiceScript stats, Death, ending, go-sub, start up etc. and these load up in adobe reader pdf.
Eiwynn, I’m a writer and I’m used to putting up a blank word page and going from there.
Is there anyway I can work from a blank page to make a game?
Kindest,
Jack
[/quote]tutorial

it can be confusing but if you follow this link to this tutorial, things should be made easier to understand.

I’m not really a person that should be talking here any more.

Good luck on your story.

Eiwynn.
Thanks for your help and patience.
I’ll check out the tutorial.
Kind regards,
Jack

Hey JackS,
In case you’re still struggling, you need to go to \dfabulich-choicescript-515e4ef\web\mygame\scenes, where you’ll find files like startup.txt and choicescript_stats.txt (these two files are vital, you can delete all the other files if you wish).

These .txt files are where you write your story. To edit these files, you need a text editor - on windows by default there is a program called “Notepad” and on Mac by default the program is “Text Edit”. (There are better text editors you can download though.) You can’t use Word or Adobe Reader. If you’re on windows and want these types of files to always open in your text editor, right-click one of the files, go to properties and change “opens with” to your text editor. There’s a similar process you can do on Mac (I think it’s under “Get info” or something).

Then to test your game out, you need to open index.html (in the \dfabulich-choicescript-515e4ef\web\mygame\ folder) in Firefox.

There’s a good tutorial about all this on the wiki as well.

Thank you,
I have taken your advice but I can’t load my one page on index.
Would it be possible to email the page.
I won’t be a pest and bother you any more.
Sorry.
Kind regards,
Jack

You need to be more specific.

What happened when you tried to open index.html? Did it give you an error? What program did you use to open it? And do you still have startup.txt and choicescript_stats.txt in your scenes folder?

Going through the ChoiceScript program I have my game on startup on Notepad. When I go on index to see how my game is, (I only have a page really), it gives me an error. It shows choicescript_stats.text in my scenes folder.
Sorry for being a head ache but I would love to get this all going.
Thank you,
Kindest,
Jack

You don’t have to sign your posts. Your information is already attached to them by default.

Is the startup.txt stored in the scenes folder, are you using the index.html file in the mygame folder, and are you opening it in firefox?

1 Like

Cecilia,
Thank you.
I’m not opening my script in Firefox. Do you think that is the problem?
If I download Firefox would that interfere with my other writing work etc?.

The other webbrowsers (that I know of) seem to interfere with the way index.html is supposed to work.

I’m not sure how switching to a different webbrowser would interfere with anything writing related :sweat_smile:

Cecilia,
Thanks again. I’ll sign in to Firefox and try it.
Is there anything I need to do when I sign in to Firefox?

What would you need to sign in for? Last time I downloaded it you could just do that without having to do stuff like that. :confused:

I have Firefox now downloaded.
I’ve written the first chapter of a fantasy game called, Half-Blood.
What do I do now with Firefox to check to see if everything is OK?
Please understand, I can write stories in word or any computer language, properly formed etc, but this is all knew to me.
I am determined to learn how to make, at least one game from one of my forty-five books. They are all on Kindle, Smashwords, Create Space and Draft2digital.