Amateur writer, need help

Hello everyone, I’ve been writing stories on paper and after reading some really great novels on COG I decided that I would like to turn my unread stories into interactive novels. Only one problem though, i have no clue how to code and would really love some help.

4 Likes

Hey! I’m glad you’ve joined the community! If I’m being honest I’m more of a writer than a coder…by a longshot but I’ve actually been learning more about coding and it is both the most frustrating thing from being stuck for hours on end (me) to then feeling gratifying enjoyment once you finally do solve it. I can help but what exactly do you need help on? Or is it everything? If it is that’s fine, but I like barely started coding too, so I’m not sure how much help I’d be.

1 Like

Hello and welcome. You can start by taking a look at this post and try to make your first steps with choicescript.

There’s a lot of information on the forum about solving problems about coding, most often than not, someone already have had encountered the issues you’ll encounter yourself, so try to first make a search on google and this forum, otherwise, feel free to ask for help in whatever you need.

3 Likes

Im at lvl 0 when is come to coding and anything you know will help

1 Like

I’m preparing a post where I’ll attempt to explain everything as best as I possibly can. I’ll @ you within it once I’m done.

I feel the best way to master choicescript is to learn from example. To see the code, you can go to any dashingdon WIP, and add /scenes to the end of the url.

For example, the link to my demo is:
https://dashingdon.com/play/anjie/before-we-are-ghosts/mygame/

To see the code:
https://dashingdon.com/play/anjie/before-we-are-ghosts/mygame/scenes

That will lead you to the index of all the .txt files, and you can navigate to any scene of your choice. It’s a neat place to view how the code works in practice, and you can easily use ‘Ctril+F’ to look for instances of *fake_choice, *if, *set variable %+10 and whatever you need!

It’s how I learned choicescript, and hopefully it will be a useful strategy for you too.

4 Likes

Honestly this is your best bet @RJSunam

There’s no better way to learn than through practice

1 Like

I’ll put this here. It’s the thread I started when I first go here where I asked questions so basic that they likely could have been answered by my own children. Others eventually picked it up and used it for their own queries as well. This is both a good place to ask questions and here as a reminder that if I can do it, literally anyone can. If you have a question about coding, you can always control+F or use the forum search to see if it popped here (or, for that matter, anywhere else in the forum’s history).

3 Likes

This is a very nice discovery, thanks a mil for this tip. There are a few I am struggling with and I will definitely make use of this to see what other authors do and how I can fix my errors etc.

1 Like