Norif I: The Lost Raven (WIP RPG Fantasy) Updated 7/24 in my last comment

I am drawing ever so closer to the weapon section in the code. However, it occurred to I have the basic weapons and armor but nothing magical. I will have the standard +1, +2 and so on. What magical items would you all like to see? I am willing to add some costume items as long as I do not think it unbalances the game or power of the player.

A magical mirror that could deflect attacks would be cool but maybe limt it to like one use a day maybe.

1 Like

It is a great idea, but unfortunately when the Gods were sealed away their type of magic went away, meaning fireballs, magic missles, etc. could no longer be cast. Since none of the races could naturally pull magic enetgy from stored in the planet so they had to find a new way of casting magic. They discovered crystals deep with in the ground that stored magical energy that could be forced out with a strong will.

This gave bitth to elemental magic. While clever a person may find away to use this magic against someone. An example may be someone is standing in mud and the caster turns the mud to stone trapping that person. So the spells are not direct attack spells that can be deflected.

A mirror like that may have existed durning the time of the Gods, but by now it would have been dismantled and drained of its magic to be used in the creation of other items. Any item created durning the time of the Gods would be very powerful and extremely rare.

1 Like

Progress update:
I have added all the items up to plus two, but now need to create all the special magical items, such as cursed stuff, a few wands and rings, then weapons with their own ego, etc. This may take awhile but until I finish the list I really cannot complete the battle system. Still open to ideas if you want to create a magical item, lets chat would love to add flavor from the forum. Example might be @Fiogan’s Mystic ring of the Clerical, helps set order to a room with the wave of a hand. Truly magical stuff there. :smile:

I have to flesh out the magical spells and potions, and no fear @poison_mara there will be plenty of poison to be had. You will be able to mix your own potions, if you have the right skills, and add poisons to the weapons.

This battle system is more then likely going to take a few months lol, but once done I will be moving on to complete the opening. Once this is finished will need to go back and touch up the countless notes I already have. Then we will try are darnedest to add the save system. I so want to move on with the story but unless I have everything in place as far as the code it would be rather pointless. That’s it for now.

*Edit Spent several hours working on magical items, weapons, and spells for the game. Many of these are flavored from the forum. I want to thank all who have given me permission to use their material inspired items in the game. I am half tempted to share these as they are very wickedly cool, but I have a long long ways to go on this game and there will be plenty off time to share tid bits here and there.

3 Likes

It seems the clock code I originally work had a lot of problems, thinking that I was smarter then when I first wrote it, lol, I rewrote it only to have a lot of problems. Thanks to @Malebranche It is now resolved working well. So I am taking a break from the battle system for a day or so as I now know which direction a lot of the stats are going. I am going to work on an update instead for the main game. I will be home for a few days starting tomorrow night so will work my butt off and try to have a good update for you all by Sat.

3 Likes

Uploaded minor changes, most of it you more then likely not notice. Then why add them some might ask. lol I like the small details in a game, sure it is not for everyone but that is ok. :smile:
*Implemented the clock
*set times for click and time jumps
*set track for birth date
*cleaned up a lot of bugs and passes quick test now
*on the books I have set in italics what stats they will effect
*added weather patterns but still need to reset for the correct season
*set birth name to show once given
Still have a lot more I want to clean up and fix before moving on with the story, should finish up cleanup tomorrow night.

3 Likes

@Lordirish
After picking up the books you get this bug:

Side note: This seems like an interesting WIP. I’m interested in what you’ll do with it.

Just poured my coffee and reading messages.Will be coding tonight so thank you for the bug find, will fix tonight.[quote=“tooweiss, post:48, topic:16193”]
Side note: This seems like an interesting WIP. I’m interested in what you’ll do with it.
[/quote]

Thanks you, this game has been knocking around a long time, has change so many times it’s not funny. However, this time around I have finally have a working model for the battle system so moving hard to try to finish this game and one other I am working on the side with done by the end of the year. Of course still have a lot of content to add so will see how it goes. But I do appreciate feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have tried to replicate the bug but have failed. Do you remember which order you picked the books.

Anybody else hit this error? Thanks

Aw snap, no I picked randomly. Sorry :sweat:

1 Like

@tooweiss
That’s ok but thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Slow progress tonight, just one of those nights I guess. So I have the MC at age 13 when you pick your type of weapon. The game will not restrict which weapon you use, unless you do not have the strength to use it. All weapons skill start with a -4 that can be increase through training and books. I will try and complete this section tonight.

I have at least two more jumps in time to help define your character, is there something you would like to see, let me know. I plan on going into magic a little more, not that it will change anything for you, but will explain certain things should you choose to share your secret.Then there will be a section for flaws. Once the MC is done jumping through time the opening will be done. I figure their age will be 16 years old.

I am going to bed here shortly and try to get a fresh start tonight.

1 Like

@Shawn_Patrick_Reed
Aye, I caught a gender-flip on the Beep, Beep, Hiss, Click page. Near the bottom, twice referring to the MC by the wrong gender.

Thanks will look at it tonight probably missed a tag. Here is the code I am using.

#He had a debt to nature due - He's paid it - and one day so must you. 
  It does seem to be getting darker, yes the last remnants of whom you were finally slipping away, and perhaps you'll find peace at last.
  *set sec +10
  *gosub_scene clock 
  *set sp1_greeting "son"
  *set gender true
  *set nick "sport"
  *set nick2 "buddy"
  *set nick3 "sweetheart"
  *set sp1_reply "my little man."
  *set male true
  *set sp1_call "him"
  *set sp1_c_gender "he"
  *set anger_call "Mister"  
  *line_break
  *line_break
  *goto sp1_1
 #She walked in beauty like the night - Beware her now, she's such a fright! 
  It does seem to be getting darker, yes the last remnants of whom you were finally slipping away, and perhaps you'll find peace at last.
  *set sp1_greeting "daughter"
  *set sec +10
  *gosub_scene clock 
  *set gender true
  *set sp1_reply "my little one."
  *set female true
  *set nick "sweety"
  *set nick2 "honey"
  *set nick3 "sweetheart"
  *set sp1_call "her"
  *set sp1_c_gender "she"
  *set anger_call "Missy"
  *line_break
  *line_break
  *goto sp1_1
1 Like

There’s also an instance of it on the very next page, though I haven’t seen it again otherwise.

Also- you’re welcome. : )

1 Like

So digging around I found I used the pronoun instead of calling for the pronoun lol, have fixed and will update with the next step in the chapter later tonight after I finish it. Thanks.

1 Like

Have been steadily working on an update. I have uploaded but again text files are very slow to update on my server. Right now it will be buggy and have an odd loop back. When the text updates it should smooth out and take you as far as your brother calling you over to check something out. I stopped here as I am finally rewriting the weather code. It may be a bit of over kill, lol just my nature, but the new weather system is much nicer. It will have minor effects on the game play, like if it is winter and the temps are cold and you do not have a cloak or something warm it will effect your stats in small ways.

Updates so far:
*Smoothed out some text due to magic being more defined for the world.
*Fixed another round of bugs.
*Added Aura and titles but realized I have a flaw in in evil vs good. For some reason you can become very evil within just a few choices. Will have to go back and track where I have mucked up the code.
*Finished page six and have a started on page seven. I also jumped ahead and did some work on page nine so i would not loose the idea I had.
*took care of some spacing problems
*Created new weather system. Have the basic *if commands in place now adding display text for the weather. also have added code that will track temp for some minor effects. I also adding three sets per *if commands of text an npc can use to talk about the weather. I debated if adding this as it may only be used a few times, but like it so added it all in.

That is it for now, as always feedback is ALWAYS welcome,

A thought for consideration-
If you’re having problems with your evil and good jumping too much, how about the idea of using %+ and %- for evil/good gains/losses? It would make evil choices more impactful the more good you are, and good choices more impactful the more evil you are. So reaaally good or reeeeally evil would need to be, like, basically a steady philosophy on choices.

Fair math has a problem going beyond 100 without checks, I debated on it a bit. I think the problem is old code vrs new code. I still have some numbers in there from when I originally started this project which were in fair math. I think I was using far larger numbers back then and just need to go back and adjust for the current system. :wink:

Fair math has that problem if you mix regular + and - for a stat with the fairmath. Personal experience on that one. It won’t go beyond 100 or less that 0 if you only use fairmath.

Also, even if it were to do so, you could create a *gosub label that reigns in stats above 100 or below 0. (or whatever values you want to set as your maximum)

Fair math has given me fits over the years, it has its place but I tend to shy away from it. It may work well here but I would have to rewire a sizable chunk of code when doing a check in the stat screen for title. Far simpler at this point to go back and adjust maybe fifteen or so choice that adjust the good vrs evil stat.