New omnibus "Hosted Games" app

In my opinion, once the app is fully functioning it will be great. My iPad is super crowded with CoG and HG so condensing them into a couple of omnibus apps sounds ideal. I would very much like to know how soon it will be able to be used for this purpose. I know the plan is to make it possible to transfer individually purchased games onto the app but I suppose I’m curious as to the expected timeframe. Until this functionality is added, the omnibus app is little more than an extra step in purchasing the latest games.

As an additional comment, looking at the blurbs of the various games currently on the app, there are a lot of typos. While this didn’t matter as much when each game was its own entity, having them all together has an overall negative implication on the quality of the library. While I understand that HG authors proof their own work, it would be good to have some quality control for the blurbs which will serve as an advertisement not just for individual stories but for the brand as a whole.

Thanks for your open forum and acceptance of feedback. I’m really looking forward to this app once it is fully operational.

T x

11 Likes

Does the omnibus app requires an internet connection if you play an Hosted Games app???

Is it gonna be realeased on Android???

Sorry for my bad English

There is no news if this is going to be release in Android. Currently, it’s on testing phase through Apple users right now since that platforms requires to have one overall app for developers like CoG.

And yes, it could play offline.

There are new Apple rules posted:

So, this new rule will stop Omnibus purchases of new titles in the Hosted Games catalog or for people even to browse what is not already owned?

I do not understand how these new rules will allow people to buy new releases on an Apple phone.

Even with that addendum, I still don’t get how the Omnibus would work under the new rules.

You don’t have to read news stories about Apple’s rules. You can read them yourself online.

The new rule is in section 4.2.7.

4.2.7 Remote Application Mirroring: If your remote desktop app acts as a mirror of specific software or services rather than a generic mirror of the host device, it must comply with the following:

• (a) The host device is a personal computer owned by the user, and both the host and client must be connected on a local and LAN-based network.
  • (b) Any software or services appearing in the client are fully rendered on the screen of the host device, and may not use APIs or platform features beyond what is required to stream the Remote Desktop
  • (c) All account creation and management must be initiated from the host device.
  • (d) The UI appearing on the client does not resemble an iOS or App Store view, does not provide a store-like interface, or include the ability to browse, select, or purchase software not already owned or licensed by the user. For the sake of clarity, transactions taking place within mirrored software do not need to use in-app purchase, provided the transactions are processed on the host device.

“Remote desktop apps” let you access your PC or Mac from your phone. The omnibus isn’t a remote desktop app, and so section 4.2.7 is irrelevant to us.

FWIW, this rule almost certainly came into existence in response to Valve’s Steam Link app, which allows users to use their phone to control/play games on their PC. Apple approved and then later retroactively rejected the Steam Link app for iOS. (Apple is afraid that people will buy games on Steam and then play them on iOS without paying Apple.)

9 Likes

Thank you for clarifying this for us tech-challenged people.

1 Like

The two lastest games (Mummy and Courting) are not showing up at all. Only this ever shows up as the latest:

I have played part of the demos of both but they just disappeared.

Currently pushing an update that should fix this.

1 Like

Thank you. (((((((((

Small glitch: when I open a game on the omnibus on my iPad it always opens in portrait (even if the iPad is in landscape). The only way to get the image to flip is to minimise and reopen the app, then the format has corrected. Not massively problematic but can be irritating if you prefer to play/read in landscape.

I noticed 4 different reviews on June 28th and 29th specifically saying they were having trouble playing CCH2.

@dfabulich, @RETowers, was this problem identified and fixed?

2 Likes

Yes, it was fixed on June 28. The reviews on the 29th seem to have been posted on the 28th and trickled in a day later (which is apparently how iOS reviews work).

4 Likes

You’ll notice we have updated the HG Omnibus App to include a “My Library” tab. Try it out and let us know if there are issues.

6 Likes

Bug. When I press Menu, it crashes.

I’m on an iPad using the most updated version of the app.

Turns black and kicks me out to my home screen.

Thanks; I’m going to try to repro. What’s your device info and iOS version? (also fine to do this over email rather than the forum).

3 Likes

I believe the Menu button works now in the latest HG omnibus.

2 Likes

Can’t open the app at all now without it crashing before loading the menu screen

Hi,

Have you send an email to CoG about this? Sending an email would let them see the concern immediately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Uniqueth We’re waiting for Apple to release our hard patch, AFAIK.

3 Likes