New omnibus "Hosted Games" app

Put me down as optimistic too.

There’s nothing like not having a choice to spur innovation.

So…I have an iPad and decided to download a Hosted Games app to play The Haze Under Windbrook.
And what I came upon purchasing and playing the game for 30 seconds was this:

And what it does is kicking me out of game to me main menu where there is no Haze The Windbrook and there is no Tha Magician’s Burden and then it crashe every time I tryied to open it.
I have IPad 4 IOS version 10.3.3

Okay, I’ve just pushed a fix for this.

1. Make sure that you’re on the latest version.
  2. If you’re already on the latest version, uninstall and reinstall.

Oh it’s actually working now! Thanks a lot!

It actually helps…as long as I don’t play the game. Because if I play it same mistake happens and I did it 10 times to be sure.

Okay, we’re fairly certain we have an estimate on what’s causing the problem, and are currently working on a fix, but it will take a few days for it to be released because Apple has to approve it.

2 Likes

You’ll notice that the latest Hosted Games Omnibus update now offers a compact view setting, allowing players to browse the catalogue more easily, especially in concert with the sort and filter by genre features.

9 Likes

The compact view setting looks great! Now it’s starting to slowly resemble more of an “app store” within the app. This is a huge improvement imo.

1 Like

Recall that doing anything design-wise in an app to resemble an app launcher (i.e. resemble the home screen of an iPhone) is specifically against Apple’s rules, so it will basically look like this and not any more than this.

3 Likes

The new 1.6.0 version HG omnibus app includes a new sort order, “Bestselling,” enabled by default. I thought y’all might like to know a little bit more about how it works.

• “Bestselling” sorts by revenue, not by number of purchases.
  • Apple generates a sales report every Monday, telling us about sale records for the previous seven days. The “Bestselling” sort updates on Mondays, when the report becomes available, and only includes sales from the most recent weekly report.
  • New releases (released within seven days of the most recent report) are pinned to the top when the report is generated. (If a game stops being new, it will remain pinned to the top until we receive the next sales report on Monday.)
  • For games that are available both in the omnibus and also in a separate app, both sources of revenue count toward bestselling. (This may give games that have a separate app an extra advantage over omnibus-only games.)
22 Likes

Could there be some way to easily see/sort by updates to games? E.g. The Lost Heir games recently got a bunch of new content, but there’s nothing in the omnibus app that indicates this.

1 Like

Unfortunately I think that is such a rare instance that it wouldn’t make any sense for the sort. I.e., we update games with fixes for errors but I can count on one hand the times we’ve updated with additional content.

1 Like

Maybe games with recent update can have this “Updated” label over their cover picture which disappears when you checked out the game. Think of it like forum’s blue dot in the front of a thread’s title.

6 Likes

:grimacing: Yeah, except, again: we don’t add new content to games. We fix bugs or typos. This would lead to a ton of “It says the game was updated but it’s exactly the same!!!” emails to our support.

6 Likes

Ah, I think you’re right.
If only those people know the feeling of being ecstatic over a simple typo fix on a long-time WIP.

2 Likes

cf recent bug fixes to Slammed, courtesy of @Lys.

1 Like

Do the bestselling rankings include IOS standalone purchases made in that week or only purchases made through the Omnibus for that week?

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve added an extra bullet to my original explanation, to clarify.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarity!

And yeah older apps seem to have a huge advantage with two ways for IOS customers to find them. Hell, per my royalty report, CCH1 almost outsold CCH2 on IOS in Aug, which I thought was odd enough.

But now according to the new Bestseller tag, CCH1 is now currently outselling CCH2 on IOS. And it doesn’t look to be close, with nine whole spots between them. Very odd, considering that CCH1 is 2.5 years old AND has a lower sales price.

Either my “read through” rate sucks or IOS readers aren’t finding CCH2 in the Omnibus. It might be a combination, but since this phenomenon is limited to the IOS platform (CCH2 handily outsells Part 1 on Steam and GPS), I’m leaning toward the later.

5 Likes

Is anyone else’s omnibus app crashing as soon as they open it? :thinking: I’m on IPhone if that matters!

1 Like