New Hosted Game! "The Nascent Necromancer" by Samuel Harrison Young

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

Sorcery is forbidden and punishable by death. These punishments are summarily handed out by the Witch Hunters, a powerful organization of inquisitors. It’s 33% off until October 12th!

When a group of corrupt witch hunters comes to your village, accusing your brother of sorcery and wrongly accusing you of abetting him, your life takes a violent and abrupt change for the worse. After you’ve suffered more than you can bear, and endured terrible tragedy, perhaps your only option left is to become the very thing that your enemies fear and despise so much.

The Nascent Necromancer is an epic, 238,000 word interactive fantasy novel by Samuel Young, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

• Play as male, female, or non-binary. Romance males, females, both, or no one at all.
  • Embark on a perilous journey, facing witch hunters, trolls, and goblins as you seek to gain the terrible power that will bring you revenge on your persecutors.
  • Romance the cold, aloof Tozi; the sarcastic, charismatic Tanno; the shy, sweet Kenda; the kind, easygoing Meylor; or even the idealistic witch hunter, Lonnie.
  • Read approximately 100,000 words per play-through!
  • Choose between three kinds of spells; mental, physical, or conjuration. Cast torture spells; summon flying, undead hands; control the minds of your enemies, and much more.

@Samuel_H_Young developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.

55 Likes

This looks very interesting, guys. Excellent work!

Wait, wasn’t it the same guy that did Mass Mother Murderer? And said a lot of nasty things before leaving to Tales?

52 Likes

People make mistakes,they reflect back on those mistakes,feel guilty about it,learn from it and move on in their lives towards a possible better future in which they hope that they will not repeat those mistakes and to never let their inner demons control them like they did in the past.

That controversy is very old now and we should just bury it,
I hope Sam has learned his lessons and is going to behave cordially with everyone in the future.

26 Likes

This thread is for celebrating and discussing the release of “The Nascent Necromancer,” not the indiscretions of the past. Any further posts along those lines will be deleted.

26 Likes

I was just thinking about this game the other day actually, wondering what its status was, and now I see this. I enjoyed the demo a lot, so I’m looking forward to reading the finished product. Congrats on the release!

1 Like

I finished reading it and liked it a lot! Unfortunately I’ll have to wait for Book 2 now, but it’ll be exciting when it does come out.

3 Likes

Just based on the blurb this seems like a fun game. I will definitely check it out when I have the time.

I don’t know what the past drama with the author is all about, but I would like to note that I find it badass to publish a game while being banned on the forum. I imagine a skeleton’s hand emerging from the underworld clutching a scroll on a stormy night. Then, an HG raven arrives, grabs the scrolls in its talons, and takes the story back to its masters. The corporate overlords nod their heads and send the scroll to the printing press.

40 Likes

I do enjoy the writing, but It’s kinda similar to his other works: there is a bully (or bullies), a family member that dissapears or dies, a band of characters with certain set personalities (shy and sweet, aloof and serious, carefree and charismatic etc) something bad happens and mc has the option to become or just straight up becomes evil. Oh, and demons and magic.

I know one story is an alternate time-line book but all three feel like the same story in a different jacket.

As I said, I like the writing, and the physically diverse cast but I’d love to see the author try something different with cast personalities, the setting and plot points.

16 Likes

Did you send this to support@choiceofgames.com?

Thank you for reminding me. I just did it, that was probably the most appropriate place to bring up the issue, I’ll remove it from here

1 Like

I’ve just completed my review for The Nascent Necromancer. Thanks for reading!

6 Likes

My main issue with this author’s games in general is that the MC is always too weak and is always getting beaten and bullied.
Even if you had high stats you still end up losing and it feels like you aren’t really progressing that much

12 Likes

Just pushed a patch that fixed several of those end-game bugs.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the book very much but something went wrong near the end… i asked Tozi to be in a relationship with MC but at the end of the book the options were greyed out… leaving me unable to kiss her when returning wuith Lommies cure.

2 Likes

The thing with Samuel’s game is you know what you’re getting, and I enjoyed this one. Having a more ruthless protagonist was fun too.

8 Likes

For @jasonstevanhill and @Samuel_H_Young, I noticed when looking around the Hosted Games app that one of Samuel’s games, The Mages Adventures, is attributed to Sam Young instead of Samuel Harrison Young so that it doesn’t show up under the author’s collected works. I only realized it because of the author’s work section in. Nascent Necromancer so I wanted to drop a head’s up. Cheers!

1 Like

In his defense, there is a fair bit of terminology that I’ve seen in his other works that makes me think these stories all take place in a shared universe. That doesn’t necessarilycl cover all your criticisms but it would explain some of the focuses.

3 Likes

Finally finished book 1 and I loved it ! Does anyone know how is progressing the book 2 ? ^^

I’m not quite sure where to post this but there’s a couple of odd things I’ve noticed from my playthrough so I guess I’ll post it here. If there’s a more appropriate place to post this please let me know.

The torture scene with Garlak is abit odd if you choose the cooperative options throughout because it automatically treats you like you sustained grievous wounds at his hands and he is now your mortal enemy even if you’ve more or less made friends with him. It seems odd that you are given options to be cordial with him throughout but at the end you can only treat him as your enemy.

Also there’s a bit near the end where the text mentions people who died in the inquisitor fight as if they are still alive, even though the game recognises they are dead.