New Hosted Game! Samurai of Hyuga Book 4 by Devon Connell

This along with the infinity sea series have kept me entertained for years. The “invisibility” scene from book 1 is one of the funniest moments I’ve experienced in interactive fiction. Instant purchase :blush:

8 Likes

Odd question that digs way back, can the robin be bi? I just started a new spirit playthrough from book one and I only saw two options

You could romance anyone regardless of gender but setting what your preference would set some characters gender for example Tosh’s gender will highly depend on it and a character in Book 3.

I think so? You can’t exactly define it at the start of the game, but there are some characters you meet along the way which don’t change genders depending on what preference you picked, and perhaps more in future books.

Is it possible to keep the Jigoku, in the third game?
I am interested in a Jigoku playthrough and would appreciate any and all pointers for this, for all four games, if at all possible.

I don’t think so. I’m fairly sure losing the Jigoku is plot-related more than gameplay-related. So it has to happen for things to play out the way it did in Book 4.

1 Like

It’s plot related so no matter what choice you pick or your stats it will happen. Trust me, I tried.

do you guys think that we will meet our protagonist’s mother and or father at one point in the story? chances are that they are both alive. one living the pirate life and one living in genfu having the unfortune to ever met the father

4 Likes

I WILL NOW CONTINUE WITH MY TOSH CONSPIRACY THEORY

I move that Tosh’s affection toward the Ronin is hollow if not somewhat manufactured. I believe their opinion of the Ronin has been tainted the status Satsuma has given them. Yes there is an attraction that developed eventually, but I believe Tosh’s claim of falling for them back when they first met was a purposeful exaggeration intended to manipulate.

Upon multiple playthroughs of the series I no longer believe the sudden whirlwind romance with Tosh wasn’t calculated on their part. They are the ones who admitted to taking advantage of Momoko as an attempt to manipulate you after all. Of course Tosh knew they wouldn’t fool the Ronin with a half assed attempt at seduction, so they set the stage for themself to be genuinely swept off their feet. By focusing on the aspect they admired most; the Ronin’s natural analytical skill- Tosh allowed themselves to fall for the Ronin.

Now what happend after the conflict between Tosh and the Ronin, when the latter discovered Tosh had been keeping the whole rebellion thing from them? The Ronin began to doubt Tosh’s intentions again, and how did Tosh respond? By orchestrating another act of manipulation: causing a scene with Daisuke/Keiko, which directed the Ronin to the truth of Sadao’s fate, which in turn led to the Ronin acquiring Sadao’s mind reading rings. They even punctuated the scene by foreshadowing with the declaration that the Ronin should consider them their enemy once the trial starts.

This whole self sacrifice act during the trial is bullshit of the highest order. As we established Tosh led the Ronin to the mind reading rings, which is why during the trial they were mentally speaking directly to the Ronin, and was sure to pepper in “kun” too in order to mislead further (more on this later). You can’t not use the rings for that moment, I have tried.

After Tosh’s hand holding during the trial, and when the Baron is defeated and everyone learns of that the Baron stole the Ronin’s memory of Junko; what did Tosh do in the face of a wounded Ronin? They sunk their teeth in.

Tosh, Masa and Hatch all agreed to deceive the Ronin by hiding the truth of their scar and the existence of Jun/ko. Now Hatch is simple, easy to fool. Masa is smart, but is a kid that doesn’t always think things through and is obviously jealous of the Ronin’s history with Jun/ko. But Tosh, Tosh knew EXACTLY what they were doing, best highlighted by a direct quote from them during book 2.

“Regrets. Grudges. Heartbreak. The inner chaos inside us is why we are human. It is a source of strength you know all too well. False harmony and hollow bliss. They will starve your spirit and blind you to your true self.”

Isn’t that EXACTLY the fate they allowed the ronin to suffer through? You see, initially I believed they were motivated by the same thing a Mass, however I no longer think that. I would like the records to show that after the Ronin lost their memory Tosh pumped the breaks on their budding romance by actively avoiding them. Only AFTER the ronin started asking questions about the branding on their stomach did Tosh propose the massage. What was it did they have to say when the topic of the branding came up?

“That demon is dead. And by forgetting, you’ve been relieved of the burden and pain it brought you, Ronin-kun.”

Then they go on to explain how much happier you have been and whatnot, in direct contrast to the wisdom they had imparted previously. After the massage served its purpose Tosh went back to avoidance. Shows that they only affectionate when they want to manipulate the Ronin. YOU ARE NOT REALLY A COUPLE. In fact that massage scene only proves the one they really are in love with is Satsuma.

Now I want to move ahead to after the Shima debacle, when we are first shown Tosh’s point of view, Tosh internally refers to the Ronin as ‘-san’, NOT ‘-kun’ like the Ronin was led to believe Tosh refers to them. Although there is someone they DO refer to as ‘-kun’ during that scene; SATSUMA.

I believe that Tosh is attracted to you but is not in love with you. They might even hold out hope for the emperor which is why they actively refuse to progress any potential relationship with the Ronin. Keep in mind how hostile they became after learning Satsuma was to be married.

So I beg you my fellow Ronin, do not let Tosh play with your emotions any longer, and see them as the snake they really are!

32 Likes

Urusai! You lie. Tosh is in love with us and I will not listen to your drivel

7 Likes

Do I lie? Had things not happend as I described? Keep in mind what Tosh is, a ‘non combatant’ ninja. A rook. What does that mean to be called rook?

The simple meaning is a chess piece, but it also means to defraud, to swindle. Our ronin has been tricked into doing all these things for absolutely nothing, and it all started with Tosh.

Oh and speaking of being affectionate only when it serves a purpose, Tosh only spoke about having a future with the Ronin when the Ronin had their mind set on abandoning the mission.

9 Likes

I always had lingering doubt at the back of my head about the Tosh “romance”.
If we still have the ring I hope we can confront them and pose them with the ultimatum between us and the emperor(although I’m pretty sure Satsuma will die by the end of the series), by using both our analytical prowess(to check her tells) and mind reading ring.
I expect them to “comfort” us in the next book, with Jun/ko in hell(regardless of how we feel about them) and Masa as far as we can tell suffering from a side effect from when they helped us in hell, giving them a pretty good opening to do what they want with us.

5 Likes

I am dying for an opportunity to confront them for all the shit they’ve pulled. Honestly the ronin should have been given the option to be angry after getting back their memories. Eapecially at Tosh.

8 Likes

I believe Satsuma is cut from the same cloth as Griffith from Berserk. It shows with the very title he bestows on the ronin “the sword who cuts the Heavens”, that is the extent of the Ronin’s value, a tool. Exalted, but a tool none the less. We learn from our Ronin themselves about the importance of maintaining a sword, and Tosh was tasked to maintain the sword who cuts the heavens, and everything they’ve done was to that purpose. Tosh would do ANYTHING for Satsuma.

We are given so many clues throughout the series. We are told that Tosh is ruthless, ultimately the ends justify the means to them. So toying with a Ronin’s emotions to achieve Satsuma’s dream is not beneath them.

Look how both Tosh and Satsuma react when Ronin becomes outside their direct control, despite the Ronin still fulfilling the prophecy. They want the ronin to do things on their terms, under their direct supervision.

16 Likes

For those of us that went along the Jun/ko romance, I’d like to imagine that depending on the choices it can go something like this:
Tosh- tries to “comfort” us
Mc- I bet you’re sooo happy now that Jun/ko is out of the picture aren’t you.
Tosh- They were the source of your pain and sadness, so yes I’m glad they’re no longer around to hold us back.
Mc- As if, all you care about is about making you’re dear Satsuma-kun happy, hoping he’ll take you even as a concubine. The only reason I’m not far away right now is because of Masa(wouldn’t be the first time I’d try to take them away from all of this.)

My Berserk knowledge only extends to the anime(the 1st attempt not the horrendes cgi one) and I can see the general comparison, but I don’t think Satsuma has gone far enough… yet.

1 Like

Problem with the ronin they always feel bad about how they are feeling. They have been on to Tosh multiple times already yet choose to let it be. Tosh has a way of weaseling themselves back into the Ronin’s good graces. I wish we can be more confrontational than we are allowed.

7 Likes

Which I find a bit odd since the ronin should’ve picked up ways to deal with people like Tosh during their time as assassins.

2 Likes

I find it hard to get into. The only character I care about is practically gone and the story is trying to make me feel Stockholm syndrome for Junkrat . Like if Masami never existed I might like Junkyard but Masami does exist and my little comedic pick me up’s absence with the overall bleak tone. I got as far as Sake testing then gave up. It’s not fun anymore it’s work.

1 Like

Yeah the Ronin is more prone to play the fool than they’d like to admit

1 Like

Maybe I am in the minority, but I was glad to have a break from Masa. They’re cute and all, but geez they are draining. Especially glad to be out of Tosh’s clutches. I missed Hatch though.

14 Likes