Need help with power source for witches?

Hey guys, I’m posting because I need some help. I’m writing a game just for me because I want to practice my coding. In the game, I decided to have a coven of witches. However, I cannot come up with a strong enough power source where they draw their powers from.

If you were a witch, and you were part of a coven, where would the coven draw their powers from?

3 Likes

It could be hereditary, they could draw it from nature, make pacts with demons…

You can tell I’m not very creative. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Depends on your worldbuilding. There’s a lot of energy source you can creatively come up with, really.
Generally, though, depending on how you draw it, magical energy is usually grouped like this:

1. A form of mana/chi/chakra/ethereal energy that naturally flows to yourself with a certain rate. Meditation / When the blood moon is high.
  2. A pact with a supernatural being.
  3. A form of ritual (yup, normal one or kinky one. Pick your poison).
  4. Eating or drinking. Potion making.

Hmm… what else?

3 Likes

How about some cursed book or magical artifact? Kina like in Perseus the eye thingy.

3 Likes

Oh, something like grimoire?

3 Likes

Depends in the kind and type of witcheap, bit there are:

Power from god’s via satanic rituals and such

Power from ritual’s via ancestors power (e.g kill one kid, ancestors give you power, for some reason)

Power via natural magic properites of all objects (e.g Mandragon root is very magical, when mixed with blood and a catalyst,) upon consumption gives witch power.

Based on some weird time frame. The classic “At the blood moon” or the “On the anniversary of my ancestors’ death!” They gain magic and power,

Or they consume magical animals and people (and magical children) in order to get power.

I only added the last one so you can add trick or treating in haha

3 Likes

It could also be connected to a certain place. For instance, the barriers between realities could be thinner at a crossroads, or magic might be amplified at the sight of a great battle because of all the blood soaked into the ground.

3 Likes

How about if they get their power from their familiars? So that the witches are dependent on their familiar to be able to use magics, but at the same time the familiars also need the witches to exist in this world?

3 Likes

Maybe take some inspiration from tv shows. Vampire diaries/ the originals, they show many different forms and power sources for the witches on there. Like ancestral magic, natural magic, magic items, and spirits of dead witches.

Or you could take inspiration from witchcraft, such as plants, stones, meditation, gods/goddesses, moon, or sun.

Or an interesting concept comes from one of my favorite video games dragon age. The place mages draw energy from in kinda like a spirit/dream world full of spirits/demons/gods. Or from the use of blood.

3 Likes

Witches can draw power from almost anything an example is Nature, Ancient forces like Deities and Gods, power sources that requires giving like blood magic in other games. What you need is believing that the power source is STRONG to withstand challenges given more like a weapon that has more uses than less

2 Likes

Thanks for the help you guys :frowning: but this is gonna be harder than I thought. I have thought about most of those ideas, but I just think that they’re not powerful enough.

2 Likes

They could have rituals with the whole coven to store a lot of energy in an artifact. make potions, or simply sacrifices with a special rune Dagger or something like that, so that they are able to gain power from everything natural. They could have magical rune tattoos that enable them to gain magic from their surroundings, the higher their rank, the more runes they get, there are endless possibilities

3 Likes

This falls under rituals, but Full Metal Alchemist created the Philosopher’s Stone by sacrificing an entire city. Using lives/souls has always been a powerful source of magic.

Any sort of rite that is dangerous to perform may explain the power of the witches pretty well. Like say the witches have to impale themselves with dragon fangs to obtain this power, or bring themselves to the brink of death, etc.

4 Likes

Perhaps multiple sources is a good way to do it. Such as drawing from another plain, calling upon spirits to help, having a familiar to store magic to use at a later time, using plants magical energy, and enchanted jewelry and grimoires, plus the power of every coven member.

I guess it depends on what they’re trying to do, all those ideas are pretty good for most magic in general, but if the coven is trying to create a giant magic nuke or magically create a zombie apocalypse, then they could use any form of magic but they’d have to store alot of it in multiple crystals, familiars, scrolls, and also store tons of catalysis like herbs, and spirits.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is a right and wrong answer here, you as the author get to determine whether or not a source is ‘powerful enough’. For instance Doctor Fate of DC comics managed to rewrite an entire Universe with the combined power of Chaos, Order and The power of a Human Spirit.

On the other hand a god of Chaos like in Gargoyles barely has the power to transmute a city .

Likewise the invocation of Fundimental Forces ( time, space gravity etc.)vary wildly from depection to depection, more esoteric sources of magic follow this trend to. Blood magic is particularly strong in Marvel comics, and is considered a lower form of magic in DC and doesn’t even exist in The Demon Wars saga novels.

To get to the point, as the creator of the Universe you determine what is strong and what isn’t, which schools of magic exist or don’t, hell what magic can or can’t do and there’s not any hard and fast rules you have to or don’t have to play by. If nature or emotions or w/e are your supreme power source than that’s just the way it is.

It’s magic, go nuts and have fun with it.

6 Likes

Could be they get the power from the live force from their admired"fans", Like succubus witches with mental powers and seduction.

3 Likes

This is a difficult request to respond to without knowing more about your game. Could you possibly provide a few details regarding the premise, game play, and the intended use of the power gained by the coven?

3 Likes

A natural order. The power came from humans able to manifest their hidden potential making them the first among many to exploit this ‘powersource’ and was really GREAT at weilding the said power. What the power source is can be a thing of worship, try reading occult stuff. There are many things in this world where you can draw power from, a divine entity, an infernal being, the understanding of the natural order of the world thus able to harness the power within the planet like example living Gaia, the earth creates beings with power that are able to hear its calling to become its soldiers against a outside threat i think the japanese cartoons or anime has different power sources. try going to sites rich in occult stuff but don’t go in deep i guess hahaha… seriously though DON’T GO DEEP some of those places gave me nightmares. I think this is what they call a writer’s block? Hang in there you’ll get the answer you want. I wish i had some faint idea about runes like in league of legends see the guy they call ryze? He looks like a warlock right…? Maybe look at the appearance you will want for the witches in you’re universe. Creating a book is like creating a universe and that is what i like about the Author they create this simple and wonderful pocket universe and traps us inside also they throw the key… wait that’s a nightmare… just kidding what i wanted to say is like everyone else if you write, you create life and that itself is wonderful and awe-inspiring for a reader like me.

2 Likes

It sounds like what you really need to determine here is how magic works in general in your setting. Once you have that, you can determine what would be an appropriate source of it, and how exactly a magical source would function (e.g. is it a generator, a battery, a conduit?).

3 Likes

It just depends on the Wich.
In the pagan religion who are usually considered wiches they gain thair magic from nature
A sorcerer is a Wich that gain thair power from pure magic in thair blood
A worlock is a Wich that has made a pact with a typically evil supernatural (demon) however they themselves are not always evil
Last

3 Likes