NaNoWriMo 2019

Haven’t been doing too hot lately due to a variety of things, but just getting a sentence a day down has been slowly ticking my word count up enough to bring a sense of accomplishment. Think I’m going to binge some television and sit myself down to finally rewrite the characters today.

Keep up the good work everyone, you got this! :fist:

5 Likes

I pushed in today’s session - both to make up yesterday’s lost words and to make it through the nine branches of changes I’ve been working on for the past couple of days.

I ended up with 3,414 words, which when combined with yesterday’s session means that I more than made my daily goal of 2,000 words.

This was as much as a mental challenge for me as a physical, because when working on nine branches, my mind was prone to wander away from the task at hand.

Tomorrow is the session where I start working on the nine branches re-joining into the main trunk for this “pet the dog” narrative arc.

This means I will be tying this arc up, transitioning to the next arc (the spoiler arc) and exiting one romantic/friendship option npc while entering another two in a cameo role.

Setting up nexus points for the romance and friendship options within the Spoiler, Creator, Pet the Dog and Job/Every Day arcs is essential to pull off uniting all the arcs into one story.

The six Romance/Friendship options will not all be introduced in this act, but three of them are – allowing a nice balance for acts two and three.

I’ve rambled enough for tonight, so I’m updating the up-thread post and calling it a night.

8 Likes

So that little ‘break’ turned into 2 days of nothing. Oh well. Felt a bit better today and I got inspired after a dream so I’m at 853 words for this afternoon. Sadly, instead of finishing my old stuff I started three new stories… so I went from 17 drafts to 20. All three are at around 800 words still and usually after I’ve gotten that amount I hit a slump and move on to the next idea. I can never just focus on one, my brain is all over the place. But hey, at least it’s something and I’m still happy with it.

Damn, you guys are really powering through! I like reading about your projects but then I get impatient and I torture myself with it. Aah, I’m really excited!

Edit) Hahaha, It’s 21 now :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

After a quieter day yesterday I managed to get 2,348 words today pushing me past the 20,000 word mark to reach 20,064.

Makes me happy to see how people are doing this year :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Well, I am still digging out from my 5,000-word blunder where I failed to save my updates to my C drive and google drive. Lesson learned.

I’ve rewritten 2,400 words of it, so hopefully I’ll be out of my hole later this week.

So this totally screws my NaNo stats, but I still hope to finish my game this week.

6 Likes

I thought Google Drive auto-saved?

2 Likes

I mean, if you create something in google docs, it auto saves, but I’m not sure what you mean about auto saving with drive. I just frequently pull the updated txt file over to drive (2 monitors ftw) and update that way.

Well…normally I do that. In my flash of creative energy on Friday and Saturday, I failed to back up my files form CSIDE. Lesson learned!

2 Likes

You can also download their software (not sure what they call it?) and automatically sync folders or files from your computer to your Google Drive account.

There’s also OneDrive which pretty much does the same thing, but syncing to a Microsoft account rather than a Google one, and most file sharing sites have apps for that, too (Box, Dropbox, Mega…)

Then again, I push my stuff to GitHub. :grin: Because I’m a nerd, and because I’ve found I can’t bear the thought of letting my new changes overwrite the old files without any way of retrieving them, so I need version control.

(Sorry for the off-topic post :sweat_smile:).

3 Likes

1,974 words written today bringing my total count to 22,038 words :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am struggling against my lack of confidence in my writing and that makes me difficult to keep going.

3 Likes

Well, Sunday turned into a “migraine day” which means no writing. I did outline and brain-stormed for the next session though, so it is not a total waste.

I recovered on Monday and wrote 2,005 words which hit my target. That is not bad and is more productive than most days after a migraine.

I hope to start to make up lost word count in the next writing session.

I’ve already updated the post up-thread, so I’ll wish everyone a good day and will see them on the next update.

5 Likes

Keeping the writing going, 2,356 words tonight, bringing my total past 24,000. Really enjoying the concept at the moment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well done :hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m really liking the female protagonist and it feels nice writing a story without having to worry about choices.

3 Likes

Yeah, feel nice changing the tone and format for a while. I am in a writer’s block big as a mountain. thinking about stopping writing altogether.

1 Like

I have a Goliath to face tomorrow! I need to write 5k words tomorrow to catch up. Hope I can make it.

3 Likes

Don’t give up Mara, such times come and go. Do not force you too much, sometimes all one needs is a little break

3 Likes

Thank you, but I am in an impasse and about of let all writing behind. I am just not capable of improving. It is really frustrating

4 Likes

I think you just have reached a Point, where the improvement just gets less obvious. It is still there, but you can’t see it yourself because you see your written words everyday. Take a look at your Forum post from a year ago. Then you might see the improvement again.
You have just reached a point where improvement slowly turns into fine Tuning.

7 Likes

Writers block is difficult. Take a break dont force yourself. Have a read of a book or watch something in the genre of your story. Then try again in a couple of days. Fresh eyes are a boon to writing.

7 Likes