Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole! [Rewrite in Progress]

Refreshing resets it to the start, unfortunately. Tried all things I can think of; going to the stat screen, choosing a name at a time, custom names… No luck. :confused:

Not sure if it matters, but I am using Firefox ESR as I hate updating every few weeks. :sweat_smile: Maybe I should try in Chrome or such… :thinking:

Edit: Yes, it does work in Chrome… :crazy_face: Weird.

1 Like

@ParrotWatcher I don’t see anything wrong with the code immediately. I’ve enabled implicit control flow so maybe that’s why, but I can’t seem to replicate it. :confused:

What option did you pick where your character lives? (Mansion, apartment, province or squatters?)

And if I understand correctly, you picked fantasy (not fairy tale) and #"I'm okay. I'm just writing in my diary." as your reply to the uncle?

If it’s not too much of a hassle, I’d appreciate it if you give me the exact choices you made starting from the fantasy branch, but I really only need those three. I think. :grin:

@Isabella_Taylor If you’re referring to the story the MC is writing, then no. It’s meant to run parallel to the real story. But they do get transported to different story worlds starting Chapter 3. There’s an outline in the first post where you can see what worlds/settings you will get to visit. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Abe Thanks! :blush: I’m not sure what you mean. The choice where you accept the quest is the end of the demo so maybe that’s why? Can you describe what happens exactly or give me the choices you selected?

@Taylor_Enean Hmm, good to know!

But if this continues to happen I guess I can remove the multiple choices and separate them into two. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Curious thing is I have played other games with multiple choice on the same page… :thinking:

Wish I could give more feedback than that, but I am clueless. :blush:

Playing the game now and loving it - very nice indeed. :grin: :+1:

1 Like

My only comment for now is that I think nine years old is awfully young for having crushes like that. :thinking:
Otherwise this seems promising. The mc being 12-13 years old when they actually have the hormones might make for better crushes.

3 Likes

I think it was a farm (is that province?)

Yes to both.

I’m afraid I don’t recall the other choices I made though… :sweat_smile:

Did you update the code earlier today? Because that does cause issues… :thinking:

As I said earlier:

3 Likes

And you were obviously more precocious then I was, ask my nine years old self why he would kiss a perfectly good frog if that turns said frog into a silly prince when the frog is obviously way more awesome. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

To be fair, I’d’ve gone for the frog, too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@idonotlikeusernames I’ve already bumped their ages up from 8 (The MCs were 8 in the original story), but I think 9 is the furthest I want it to go for now.

The MC is a week or so from turning 10, so there’s that. Part 2 and 3 will cover a year each so by the end of the story, the MC will be 12. I’d say that’s long enough for feelings to develop (in addition to the several years the MC has known their friends).

I can maybe do 10, but I don’t really want to because I want the story to start with the MC’s age in single digits, and any further than that (11 up) will make them a teenager in the middle of the story, and that doesn’t really fit with how I want the story to be.

That said, there is a precocious stat. :wink:

@ParrotWatcher Yup, no bugs. I did update it again though, so that’s probably the issue.

There’ll be a frog kissing scene somewhere!

7 Likes

I just cannot hold it back any more… :scream:

Love your avatar, @Franzinyte. :blush:

1 Like

Played the new demo, loved it! I loved the personality system and the way the charecters seem real. Can’t wait for the next update!

Bug note: when you select the diamond locket that amplifys personality it doesn’t change the amount of personality trait gained

Question: Can we eventually get serious enough and sensible enough to basically become an adult in a 9 yo body?

1 Like

@Taylor_Enean Hehehe. Waddles is bae. :pig:

@Natman1025 Yay! Thanks, I really appreciate it! :hugs: I’d say I’m a lot better with dialogue than description. Hehe.

Do you mean the opal? That’s not a bug actually. None of the gems have any immediate effect–they provide a modifier whenever you gain a stat. In this case, the opal gives a 10% to all personality stats you gain, so +2 will become +2.2. You won’t actually see it in the stats screen because all values there are rounded down. But maybe I should show the bonus (i.e. +0.2) when you enable the number notifs.

Also, there aren’t many +Attributes (STR, AGI, INT, CHA) right now in the early chapters, so don’t worry about those for now.

And to your question: Totally! For the early chapters you’re mostly collecting stats, but by mid-late game all those personality stats will affect lots of things. But for now, personality traits will have a larger effect (emotional, shy, talkative, etc.–which also affect modifiers.)

This will also affect relationships with other characters.

Although I’d say I’m a bit partial to the silly stat. There are more +Silly than +Sensible right now :sweat_smile:

There’s also a hidden stat being tracked in the prologue which has a big effect on later chapters. You can see it if you peek in the code. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

@Franzinyte, about that error. my bad, it also happens when i try to go back to the stats after i reached the end of the demo (the one with the “play again” option.)

details: it abruptly ends in the character bio and active mission. the other stats can’t be seen and this is the message i keep getting:

choicescript_stats line 345: invalid indent, expected at least one line in ‘if’ true block

Ohh, I see. Thanks! :blush:

I think I fixed it. I left the *else blank for the diary format. You should be able to view the stats screen at the end now.

The update will have to wait though. I’m busy today and tomorrow.

Alright, so after thinking about what @idonotlikeusernames said, I am now seriously considering aging up the characters to 10–but that’s the furthest I’m going. (The MC will be almost 11 years old at the beginning of the story.)

I know I said I don’t want to, but other than that I don’t see much reason not to. It’s still pretty much in kid territory, they’d be a bit older for adventuring/having crushes, and I realize that ending the story when the MC is 13 would fit the theme nicely (right when they become a teenager).

Not much will change story-wise since I’ve already adjusted the story to accommodate the age change earlier.

So here’s another poll. I’ll probably do it anyway, but I just want to know what people think. :kissing:

• Yes, making the MCs 10 years old sounds much better.
  • But I like being 9! :baby: :baby_bottle:

0 voters

4 Likes

I personally want the pc to be 10 just because the dialogue is more mature then any 9 year old I’ve ever talked to but not all 10 year olds

Also because I feel a 10 year old would be more adept at adventuring compared to a 9 year old

1 Like

i don’t really mind which age because i remember having a crush on a Taiwanese celebrity when I was at least 8 and had some notions that i don’t consider myself to be cis in my early childhood.

2 Likes

Just finished the demo and I really enjoyed it! The writing is fun and childish but not annoyingly so, and it reminds me of my own childhood- it was hard to not smile during it.

My favorite part though is the sheer amount of choices for the twins- I love seeing little details being brought up in the story and changing dialogue, even if only subtly. Poking through the source code only made me even more excited- variables for phobias, body types, clothing, handwriting, pets, and much more? Even a hug counter?! The amount of potential detail is far more than I’ve seen in any other game. Keep up the good work! ^^

10 Likes

Heehee. This made my day. :blush: You know someone’s really interested when they peek at your code. :stuck_out_tongue: I hope you didn’t spoil yourself too much or read all those comments. :sweat_smile:

And yup, I couldn’t stop myself from adding even more variables. (There’ll certainly be more once I finish my outline. And this is just the first part too!) I actually already cut a few of them because that would be too much for me. The story is fairly linear because it’s based on a novel, so that’s why I’m aiming to have lots of variation. So hopefully even on your third or fourth read, it still reads differently.

The hug counter is for an achievement. But maybe I can use it for something else too, hehe. :hugs:
*set hugs +1

12 Likes

So will the kids have an adventure in real life? Like Beatrice’s cat goes missing and that have to find it or even possibly one like erased where they try to stop an actual criminal?

2 Likes

This is really interesting so far! I like the idea of playing a younger character, and the fact that the story combines realistic and fantasy worlds.

Just a couple things: When you choose to set your own name for your fantasy world, it calls it Berbania anyway. Also, during the texting part, the non-English words make it hard to understand for people who don’t know that language. And does there have to be a new page for each message? Could you make it so that there’s only a change of page when you have a choice of what to say?

1 Like