Mecha Ace: The Q&A Thread

The other thread is the one for spoilers and such. I think we should probably consolidate to one for this game.

In one run-through I was able to get everyone but Inari to express interest in me, but I imagine that due to needing to find the time for a date only two of those would be viable in the future… and hey, maybe those get paired down later, too.

Who were your inspiration/prototypes for Asadi and Weaver?

@WulfyK
I’d prefer if all discussion got moved to the main thread, where I’m still willing to answer questions.

Either way, both Asadi and Weaver are composites of various characters and character archetypes. However, if the achievement names didn’t tip you off, two of the major influences for Asadi and Weaver are Goose (from Top Gun) and Jacob Taylor (from Mass Effect) respectively.

@Cataphrak

I figured you had some sci-fi inspiration mixed into the writing, though I imagined it more like Gundam instead of the new school sci-fi media for some reason.

This game is one of the best,great story,very well done.

Hi, I’m interested in buying Mecha Ace but when I click on the Kindle icon, Amazon says the platform is Android. Is the game available for Kindle?

@Wonderworm http://www.amazon.com/Choice-of-Games-Mecha-Ace/dp/B00KY6XAKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404340011&sr=8-1&keywords=mecha+ace

It’s not available for e-Ink Kindles. Only Kindle Fires.

Hi. I’ve just completed a playthrough once, and I really really enjoyed it. Such great story, and great characters.
I won’t spoil it for anyone, but I gotta say I’m a bit annoyed that CoDEC, either has no espionage / intelligence arm, or they really dropped the ball there, that they totally failed to anticipate the Empire’s (x double V gestures x). It’s amazing that something that big totally caught them off guard like that. After seeing that happen, I kinda started hating my own side’s ineptitude.
I wonder if that’s intentional?

@Cataphrak Is there a walkthrough regarding relationships? For me, this is the most important part of the game, together with the sheer thrill of the battle situations.

@Mayday There’s no official one, but it’s not that hard to figure out what each character wants. They’ll be at some corner of the warrior vs. diplomat and passion vs. deliberation square, if you want to hold their attention you’ll try to put your personality in that area. Aside from that, don’t disappoint them and try to encourage their affections; if what you’re doing isn’t working they’ll probably say that immediately after you select a choice.

The only one that’s kinda hard is Hawkins and that’s just in making sure that you can be able to keep her around instead of having to exile her for her safety/kill her, not in actually making her love you.

@lonelyloner
CoDEC was written as a revolutionary government, not a stable, functioning one. This means that certain aspects have become developed (like the fleet) simply because they’re perceived as immediately needed for survival, while other elements generally required for the functioning of an independent government (like foreign intelligence services) have not. It also helps that the Defence Committee is made up of, what are essentially corporate bosses and planetary politicians who aren’t really used to operating in a state of their own. CoDEC’s government is out of its depth, and sort of flailing: it still is even in an ending where the war ends.

In this sense, I’ve modeled CoDEC’s rather spotty government after the early United States, before it was even decided that the thirteen colonies would ever be anything more than thirteen independent countries allied for self-defence. While the revolutionary United States *didn’t* have a serious disadvantage in military intelligence (much thanks to George Washington’s criminally underrated genius as a spymaster), it did have other problems, especially when it came to money and military logistics, which thankfully for the player character, CoDEC is better able to handle.

@Mayday
There’s no walkthrough, and I don’t plan on writing one, though there’s nothing stopping the community from composing one.

1 Like

Hello.

First of all, really great game and really well written. I especially like the work you put into the military tropes, to make them plausible. The discussion of why discipline is important, how to deal with the loss of subordinates – all of it is well, very well done.

First, the important observation: I’m on a droid RAZR running the latest version, and checkpoints don’t work at all. I’ve followed the directions in thread, and no go; they still don’t work. I always go back to the last page I touched.

My questions have to do with achievements:

Currently I have twenty-five out of 29 achievements, for 615 out of 695 points. The remaining four are all hidden. I’m afraid I’m running a bit low on patience, so I’m going to flat out ask for assistance in getting the last four.

The achievements I have so far:
* Bad Priorities: Flee during battle, finish up in a bar far away.
* On a Halifax Pier: Turning pirate. Kudos for the Barrett’s Privateers reference!
* Just Following Orders: Annihilate the Imperial Fleet.
* Vedrian Standoff: Force a ceasefire with a big gun.
* The Biggest Stick: Force the unconditional surrender of the Imperial Fleet.
* Si Vis Pacem: Got for achieving Vedrian Standoff and having Hawkins as a romantic partner.
* Grand Theft Prototype – Acquired for hacking into a military prototype under imperial control in the beginning of the game. This is actually the first achievement I acquired.
* The Morningstar: Complete the main story.
* Orlando Innamorato: Successfully romancing Hawkins.
* Beach! Volleyball! : Engage in a passionate romance with Ensign Asadi. [passion/warrior]
* I will (not) abandon you… : Seduce bridge officer Watanabe [passion/diplomat]
* Heavy Risk … romanced the deck chief.
* Bright Slap: Educating Ensign Watanabe on the importance of Article 90 with violence.
* The Circus: Fed Hawkins a Macross Missile Swarm.
* Apocalypse: Cancelled: Saved Crown Station and ten million lives … but at what cost?
* Anime Ja Nai! : Awarded for resisting interrogation to the point of permanent damage, but NOT being able to get my hand back afterwards.
* Orlando Furioso: Defeating Hawkins while piloting an imperial prototype.
* Just This Once! – Keep all four major characters alive, either by forcing Steele to stand down [still have trouble with that] or by having the lance and myself fall back to cover the fleet, leaving Crown Station to the tender mercies of the Empire Ascendent.
* The sword that cleaves evil : Max out melee with monosaber + piloting.
* The White Death: Maxed out ranged combat ability with particle rifle + situation awareness.
* The Nightmare of Vedria: Finish the story with < 20 reputation.
* Who the hell… finished with more than 80 rep.
* Take that, Manfred!: > 80 kills
* Women of Destiny: All female cast.
* Men of destiny all male cast.

So … with regard to the remaining achievements.

1. I’ve read here of the highlander burial. I take it I get this by re-entering atmosphere with the lionheart and burning to a crisp. Havent’ been able to do it. Deliberately refused to look at the lionheart prototype when I had the chance, and this meant I crashed the ship rather than make a smooth landing, but the lionheart always survives re-entry. I’ve tried it with piloting and awareness both at 1, but the lionheart stubbornly survives.

Thoughts?

1. Is there an achievement for painting your ship red? I’ve heard a rumor there is. But I’ve tried every conceivable red-and- combination, including red and red, on all three starting mecha, and nothing happens.

2. Any hints on acquiring the other achievements?

Thanks for your help! Again, a very cool game!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Incidentally, Who the hell… is a gurren lagann reference and is greatly appreciated. Do the mecha run on SPIRAL POWA???

Respectfully,

Brian P.

@pendell2 There is an achievement (Red Comet) for painting your mech red and gold, but you get the achievement a bit later after choosing your colors. It may also require a high Piloting stat, and/or a specific mech.

Highlander Burial is gotten while you’re on Vedria, fighting the enemy troops for the prototype. The requirements aren’t entirely intuitive, though…

For the record, the other two you’re missing are ‘No Machine Gun For You!’ and 'Kill ‘Em All!’

Thanks.

I assume Kill 'em all means no survivors – but I’ve done that. I’ve finished the game with all the main characters dead. Do I somehow have to arrange for the destruction of the Caliburn as well?

@pendell2 All the main characters, including yourself?

If so, then the destruction of the Caliburn may be a requirement as well. I didn’t think it was, though…

“All the main characters, including yourself?”

No, not myself. I’m not exactly sure how to do that. Perhaps kill Hawkins, then try and fail to achieve the Vectrian standoff. Though I never have failed at it up to this point.

Okay, got Highlander burial. Got into a melee fight with a ship that didn’t have a melee weapon . Problem solved.

Working on 'kill ‘em all’. Got everyone save Hawkins killed at the battle of crown station. Killed hawkins, but the vectrian standoff without a hitch and my character’s still alive.

Okey-dokey. Fell back to defend the caliburn in the last battle and got both Hawkins and myself killed. Unchievement 'kill ‘em all’ unlocked. Two to go.

Respectfully,

Brian P.