Machinations: Fog of War Released

This is a great writeup, thank you!

Chapter Two is tricky. It was my first major chapter written, when I really got into the flow of this writing. But it’s obviously difficult for me to see it with fresh eyes. What was confusing about it, if you can remember?

I have gotten some feedback about difficulty in certain areas, and that box in Chapter Two and the conflict in Six were two areas I had been worried about in particular. It’s difficult to judge the math on these challenges. (For the record, it’s not impossible to get into that box, especially if you focused on mechanics, but you might need to come into it with a full resource.)

I think I’ll boost the starting stats somewhat and make the immediate cost of resource expenditure less punishing, while still keeping the same mid-term costs.

Thank you!

Hi,

I think the difficulty with chapter 2 is probably the old problem I was notorious for when running some of my more complex pen & paper RPG sessions. Namely, I would have a decent plot, various ideas, but the general scenario meant that instead of exposition to the players I wanted them to discover the links and figure it out themselves. As it turns out, this is way harder to do from the other side as a player and what I thought were starkly obviously clues often were skimmed over without a second thought. (Incidentally, I solved this in-game by having an NPC be a subtle guide which corrected for my oversights.)

You come into chapter 2 somewhat aware that you need to solve this docks crisis in some fashion. Whether you want to solve it in favor of the guild is dubious and up to the player, but either way you soon realise you have to break the stalemate in some fashion. At this point you can talk to various people and do some things, but it feels like that myself, that is the player, is not actually the protagonist here. Why? Because I am not sure what outcomes my choices will have. Sometimes this is fine - some choices are morally grey, but these weren’t particularly moral choices and I felt there were a few too many here for me to actually feel in-control of what is supposedly a trained stealth creature. What you can do with the beneficient candidate is fine - this rapidly becomes an opportunity as you talk with them. It has a natural flow, they are an artisan, they care about their craft but they need money and are getting desperate trading with the East etc., so what comes next feels reasonable. The humanist candidate has a surprising outcome (or at least it was surprising to me) if you happen to mention Gi to them, which significantly affects the outcome. This consequence can’t be judged and just seems to happen. On the other hand, talking to the auteur results in a sudden opportunity to actually use your stealth and infiltration skills (whereas if you just enter the guild hall from the alternate entrance you do not get these options). I inherently went for the alternate entrance as not only did that sound useful, but met with my mandate as a stealth agent within this scenario. However, it was perplexingly un-useful. I used my meta-knowledge of the fact this was a game to deduce the reason it gave me no options to poke around the offices was because I had to do something else first. This is a little immersion breaking and again another reason why I say I didn’t always feel like the actual protagonist in this chapter. Personally I think what is needed here is to either fully open up alternate avenues or steer the player in the right direction by removing them if they do not make sense, make the consequences of choices a little more obvious, or perhaps make the advice given by Trullo (or some other) a little more useful and aware of the player’s scenario. Chapter 2 is amazingly ambitious for your first major chapter, I might add!

Okay, that has clarified the problems about that box in chapter 2. I think the confusion is probably arising from people not being able to understand whether their ability is too low or the resource is too low. There is no real indicator either way, or at least none that I deduced. I’m not entirely sure how this could be evoked in game - if you’re just not good enough at mechanics, perhaps you could just inform the player this is clearly out of their league, but if there is not enough resource, I don’t know, do they tire? Not enough concentration? Not enough tools?

I am very much looking forward to another full run-through. Unfortunately I failed to get anything that classed as a vaguely happy ending the first time, not that I feel bad about taking that play-through. Sometimes it’s those kind of experiences that stick in your mind more. I still feel quite strongly about the characters now, which should be interpreted as a good thing. Reading back through my last post, I am unsure if I expressed quite how much I liked it, but I assure you I would not have gone through the effort of nit-picking on these small things and providing feedback had I not felt it worthwhile.

All the best!

1 Like

Thanks, this is useful. Extensive changes are probably out of reach, but I’ll be able to make a few changes in Chapter 2, at least. If you’re referring to what I think you are about the Humanist, there’s a few ways to prevent that outcome after you inform da Navatto about Gi. But in fact, the most likely/possibly ideal way turns out to have been impossible because of a bug, oops. :anguished:

I’ll also add another healing option or two. You’re not the only person who’s said that.

I quit playing a few times to re-try Ch. 2. Seems really confusing how to get the option to search the offices. I did it once before when I didn’t find out about the real reason for the strike, but when I talked to the strike leader first it seemed like I lost the opportunity to search the offices. I entered the alternate way and couldn’t search the offices. I’m given this mystery and yet it seems like I can’t solve it. I loved Ch. 1 but was frustrated with Ch. 2

Honestly the second chapter doesnt bother me as much as the latter ones. For example, is the dam flooding scripted? Because no matter what skill combinasion and choice I cant get it saved. My thrown device alway explose before despite focusing on the mechanic skill and I cant defeat them during hand to hand combat. The authorities alway only send just a few guards too.

No, it’s possible to avert in several ways, if you’re there in person.

It might be because of how the skill system works, especially that skill checks in later chapters are more difficult. You need to practice whatever the skill is in prior chapters and save up its resource in the current chapter in order to succeed at the most difficult tasks. In the earliest chapters you might be able to succeed at every check throughout a whole chapter, almost without needing to worry about resources unless it was a dump skill.

1 Like

Hi!
Spoiler ahead:
To those who have been reading Machinations, fog of war… Is someone capable of telling me how to be successful in preventing the bridge from bombage in chapter 5?
And how to be the most efficient at the Queen’s dinner?
By any chance, anyone has a walkthrough to share?
I feel like there are many possibilities but still one or two that allow the story to be the most interesting. I really appreciate the story, the level of complexification reveals itself in the codes. Great!
Thank you very much in advance

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t see this post before!

Preventing the bridge:

If the Merchant-Monarch trusts you and you have enough evidence collected from Sogori’s home to convince em, you can just go straight to em and they’ll dispatch a team to handle it.
If not, investigate in person and use whatever skill you’re best at and have available resources in your pools for: force and endurance, attack; mechanics and provisions, explosive device; agility and endurance, throw something to distract.

For “most efficient” at the dinner, I’m not sure what you mean. It depends on what your goals are; there’s several big or small things you could accomplish in this chapter, and some are probably going to be mutually exclusive.

1 Like