New Hosted Game! Machinations: Fog of War by Chris Conley

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

Gunpowder diplomacy in a city primed to explode! You’re a shapeshifting android created to infiltrate the enemy. Steal, lie, and persuade your way to success. Can you save a people on the brink of war?

Machinations: Fog of War is a 150,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Chris Conley, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based–without graphics or sound effects–and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

• Explore a 150,000-word tale of deception, intrigue and betrayal in an age of gunpowder and rapier duels.
  • Embody a lifelike automata with the ability to study and mimic the appearance and behavior of anyone you meet.
  • Develop your personal skills, accumulate an array of disguises, and cultivate contacts and allies.
  • Navigate the hostile waters of diplomacy, scheming and plotting when everyone has their own motives.
  • Decide who to trust and who to deceive.
  • Serve your master faithfully, or break away and serve only yourself.

Chris developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.

14 Likes

Will it be released on the Chrome Web Store as well?

On that topic: I don’t know if it’s ever been mentioned before, but lately Hosted Games seem to follow no pattern when it comes to which platform they are being released on. Some of them are only for Steam, some of them only on Chrome, some of them support both, some neither.
I play/read only on my PC and not on my phone, so I need one of those options, and I vastly prefer the Web Store to Steam.

I just found

:frowning:

I thought all Hosted Games were released on every platform Choice of Games publishes on with the exception of Steam. They’re limited to the amount of Hosted Games they can release on Steam so they pick and choose which ones are published there.

I do have issues finding games in the Chrome Web Store. because the search function is really bad and it doesn’t always show up for my country.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, although that’s not exactly reassuring.

It could be that I’m having country-related issues with the Web Store as well. I’ll look into that.

Yeah, the link isn’t reassuring. At least they’ve said they’re phasing things out instead of doing what Amazon did with the kindle apps and just stopping while denying they were.

It’s still frustrating though since chrome was my preferred platform to buy games on. It worked out a lot cheaper than steam, and it’s much easier to read the code of the games.

I know Choice of Games prefers we buy on Steam, but I always appreciated that they kept the chrome store there as an option too. I do wish there was another way to purchase and download the Hosted Games so we can play them offline since not all games get Steam releases.

I prefer the Web Store because it felt less… invasive than Steam.
Steam always wants to be kept running in the background, wants to be connected to the internet, and showers me with needless ads I don’t need. Chrome does neither.

And I just don’t want to read on my phone.

Also, about the game: Will there be romance?

3 Likes