Lux: City of Secrets - Book 3 of The Evertree Saga by Thom Baylay

Thank You very much

4 Likes

I really enjoyed playing this book, mostly because it gave me the opportunity to spend more time with Winter :joy:. Unfortunately I spent a bit too much time on that and ended up neglecting my career, but it was totally worth it. We got some crumbs regarding their past, but I can’t help but want more :sob:

Trying to romance the captain with a morally good character really forces me to make some difficult choices sometimes :sweat_smile:. I find it interesting that the relationship stat went up when I expressed that I wished I could have done more to save Anya when Winter was disguised as Imperion :eyes: Can’t wait to earn Winter’s trust to get them to open up more :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I love this series and I’m really excited to read more, keep up the great work!

15 Likes

Welcome, thank you so much for supporting the series! :grin:

8 Likes

Hi @ThomB any hints at how to find these ive done so many play throughs and have no idea lol. I love the game cant wait for the next installment.

The Spice Life
The Great Escape

2 Likes

I had no idea these were there!

I’m trying to avoid spoilers by not going through the achievements page and now I have to get these!!

Every time I play Orion keeps tempting me and I always end up romancing him. It’s so hard to resist!!

5 Likes

Im am sorry for the spoiler

I have done a character for every job and romance option on the play throughs and i was left with 4 achievement these are the the last 2 left.

2 Likes

My reply was to Unregistered. He also put the explanation into spoilers mode. I was the curious one and clicked on it.

You’re fine!

3 Likes

For The Great Escape you need to do the Ox Mother mission but leave Oriana/Orion halfway through, and then get recaptured by the cult on your way out.

3 Likes

Yeh thanks to unregistered i got 2 of them

3 Likes

Thank you much appreciated

3 Likes

How do you make enough money to afford going back with Angel?

3 Likes

It depends on several factors, how many golds did you have from Sordwin, how well the rescue mission went, how much have you spent, …

2 Likes

I forgot about the rescue mission coin can you do that and still learn about angel from Kira ?

2 Likes

Can someone tell me what new RO in Lux?

5 Likes

You can also learn about Angel from reading the Scry at night.

3 Likes

I finally managed to trigger The Spice Of Life. You need to go to another tavern besides the End of Day during the evening. I was only ever able to trigger the other taverns option while on Kyran’s route. (Also the shrine option that’s lumped in with the other tavern options doesn’t activate the achievement).

The MC on my main playthrough is currently chasing Orion, so you should be good to go with those two particular achievements with an Orion-mancer.

The new romance option in Lux is Kyra/Kyran. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem that you can properly meet them if you have a lover or ally from the previous games. (This includes being platonically partnered with Gunther). All the other potential ROs (Winter, Orion/Oriana, Ruby, Gunther, Dandy/Daisy, Leah/Lamuel debuted in the earlier games.)

5 Likes

Thank you @Unregistered i was trying everything to get this one. Never would of thought about that.

3 Likes

Hi ThomB, first of all thank you for writing the game. In my opinion, this series is one of the best among other CYOA games out there. I was really immersed during my first playthrough due to the enormous variety of choices.

I don’t know if this forum is the appropriate place, but there’s a minor bug in parts of the game when we’re playing games of chance. If we open the stats menu after rolling a dice, it will reroll and return a new number. Personally I don’t know choicescript, so I don’t know if it’s a language problem and the fix will require a hacky workaround but I just wanted to point out the bug.

While I do have some preferences about the sequel to come, I won’t put it here because I reckon that the other fans have given you loads of it already. Once again, thank you for writing the game. (Btw my game was wizard scholar with Leah as the partner. I especially liked how we have to choose between our job and relationship, and the conflict dialogues with Leah should we choose the former. It’s something I can currently relate to in real life).

PS: Sorry if this comment is too long

10 Likes

Finished today in under two hours. Sadly I’m dissatisfied.

Slight spoilers ahead:
Honestly, this is the worst of the three books by far and felt even shorter than even Evertree inn.
I imported my character from the first two books and I literally did nothing in this book besides killing some old God in a quest that gives nothing back except a few reputation points.

I have the feeling you’re set up to fail almost everything no matter what you do. And I did try a few quick playtrough but they get railroaded to the same failure. You have too little time which doesn’t lead to: “Hey you can’t do it all, decide” but “you can only do one thing maybe successfully, everything else will fail”. I lose 40 reputation points with Daisy because of one single dialogue choice. I get choked by a big old god worshiping hillbilly even when armed with my silver quarter staff, better agility and strength than most and combat wise can only lose from the very powerful enemies.

The writing is superb as always and I like the world building and characters themselves, but I didn’t enjoy my time with Lux: CoS.

17 Likes

I have to admit that having to choose between your career, the very important cases and your lover soured the experience of the book a bit. I wasn’t surprised because the author literally tells us that we will have to choose and we won’t be able to do everything we want to do. The thing is, I think having to choose how to spend our time works in choices like “What to do before going to bed”. We have to manage our tiredness and we can’t do all if we want to get a good night sleep. That’s perfect. When going to the festival, there are lots of activities, but we don’t have time for everything. Cool, that works too.

The problem begins when you have to reject some missions or plans and there is no way to prevent hurting someone’s feelings, lowering your elationship with someone else or ignoring a very important case. And considering that our MC has a very clear goal (Be the greatest scholar, for example), it doesn’t make sense how the career path can be completely ignored. It’s MC’s dream since the first book. I felt like the career parts should be something that you can experience no matter what. Will you have what it takes and manage to get the job you want? That depends on how well you do during the career parts. You can totally fail. But having to choose between the love of our lives, our dream job and stopping a murderer… it’s too much. And very frustrating. A lose-lose situation.

Sordwin made us choose and we had limited time too. But in that book, it worked. Why? Because we could learn about the same things in different ways. We could solve the Big Problem by going in completely different directions. And yes, we didn’t get to see all the characters and content in a single playthrough, but it wasn’t frustrating at all. We could be with our RO, solve the mystery, have a complete plot.

Now, things like not being able to save the mayor’s son no matter what. That was great. And we were even warned that there was nothing we could do. That wasn’t frustrating because it’s where the story was supposed to go, no matter what. We read that part and were like “Oh, damn, that’s brutal! But I couldn’t do anything to prevent it. I’m intrigued to see where this leads!” Not being able to work on our career, or missing essencial time with our lover or ignoring murder feels awful. Because we HAVE a choice. And that makes it worse. No matter what, we end up feeling: “Pft, I should have spend time on my career. Wait, but then the murder… Pffft.”

I adore this saga, though. A lot. It’s one of my favorites. I will 100% buy and read the next book. But I hope I helped the author a little bit in understanding how some readers felt in this book in particular. Something to think about when working on the next installment, perhaps? :kissing_closed_eyes:

36 Likes