Learning to Be Human (WIP)

It was interesting for my android to be booted up as a blank slate and immediately asked “What’s your name and do you have a gender?”

I picked robot-gendered, which was satisfying. However, it broke the immersion that every student at the school was correctly declining a set of pronouns that had never been used before. Maybe a brief mention somewhere that the kids were briefed on that as well?

I enjoyed the game and think it will do well for its purpose. Like The Runaway Game, another social-engineering game someone on the forums just showed me, it could use some resources for further action - where to go to get help, websites about the issue, etc. At the end, or a section in stats?

I was wondering whether the anti-bullying strategies were general enough to work in most schools or culture-specific. If they’re tailored to Korea, how did you research and decide which to use?

Thanks for a great game that brought attention to this issue. It got me reading, and I’ve never been so glad - scratch that, never before been glad - that I went to high school in the US.

3 Likes

How about you can convince the scientists in the beginning too let you not have one rule of your choice, though I could see them straight up refusing to let you not have the harm rule. But more than that, a good way of convincing them would be too straight up say if you can’t have one rule off, you won’t do it.

It was a good game can’t wait for more

1 Like

I definitely agree on the idea of having resources listed at the end - I’m talking to the teachers to get those together. Probably I’ll have them at the end, but Stats is an interesting concept.

I did sort of tailor the strategies to Korea, but they’re mostly general enough to use for more places. I watched a lot of documentaries, not just about bullying, but also general life in Korea. And the local teachers are proof-reading the solutions and the bullying angles. I definitely wanted to avoid whitesplaining, so I instead tried to amplify and echo what others in the region were already doing. I did also lean on experiences I’ve had with other antibullying + conflict resolution training with the NDVH and being a Healthy Relationships counselor.

3 Likes

Beautiful, this can really be a great tool to teach kids how to choose kindness over being mean. Well done.

1 Like