Keeper of the Sun and Moon (WIP)

No, you can choose between combat or potion. But later you will be forced to abandon potion if you choose to stay as a human.

OH WEELL SHIT… :cry: this game is not for me.

First, I have to say that I really enjoy this story. I’ve played it a few times and have read the code to see at the stuff I’ve missed. I’m looking forward to playing the rest of it.

Still, I am in total agreement with pison_mara.

Let me tell you why. In my first, true, “main” play through, I was a normal human. What better way to test the limits of a magic school game than by playing a muggle, right? Besides, I’ve always preferred to play the “normal” types. This is what happened:

[spoiler]So there I was, minding my own business, when a gorgon attacks me. I’m hurt, my flesh clawed open, my hand unnaturally bent, blood everywhere. Argh! I pass out from the pain and the next thing I know, it’s dark outside. I’m broken, in a heap near a tree somewhere. Some strange teenager stands over me and introduces herself. Umm, have you called an EMT, yet? I don’t care what your name is, Astrid.

Astrid points at a body nearby and says I’m not human. Does she mean I’m inhuman, like a murderer? A monster? That’s how I took it. Screw you, stranger! But, seriously, did you call the cops? 'Cause I’m hurt and there’s a dead person over there. “Silly, naive human, you’re not going to a hospital. You’re coming with me,” she says, hauling my ass into the air. My broken wrist flaps bonelessly in the air and I’m screaming in terror as I soar over the trees. I assume.

We land and this girl pretends to care about my well-being. I just want a doctor. My wounds surely reopened on the flight here so now I’m bleeding everywhere. And my arm! I can see the muscles that were shredded by the monster’s claws. It hurts and I need medical attention. The most the game allows me to say, however, is that I need a minute. Gotta catch my breath, I suppose.

So I stand there, nauseated by the flight, blood dripping down my twisted arm, and have a conversation with this stranger about magical laws and how mean the vice principal is. I start to lose focus as the VP and the stranger talk about her tuition. I’ve lost a lot of blood.

Then, thank goodness, this vice principal, this authority figure, saves me from the girl that kidnapped me. Thank you, sir! Is he talking me to the campus clinic? Nope. I’m at the principal’s office. She’s wearing a pantsuit. I’m afraid I’m going to bleed all over it.

Luckily, a doctor finally comes and fixes my arm. The pantsuit lady is asking all sorts of questions. She said she’s contacting the proper authorities. The cops? Great! There’s a body in the woods, after all. I dunno. I’m too weak and tired to care, at this point.

She says something about enrolling me. Is this really the time to talk about this? I need, like, grief counselling or something. At least let me call my mom and tell her I’m okay. They’re probably worried about me at home. Oh, I can’t do that? I’m being mind controlled into accepting this? Okay.

Anyway, I get out of that office and find my kidnapper, Astrid. Bitch has already showered. I’m still in bloody, torn clothes. My hair is matted down by my own blood and dirt from where I was spawled out unconscious on the forest floor two hours ago. And I think I pissed myself in fear during the gorgon attack and/or while dangling from the hand of a flying teenager so my panties are a mess, too. Eff off, Astrid. You and your brother I’ve just been introduced to.

Finally, I collapse in my bed, still in my tattered and stained clothes, exhausted from the day’s horrific events. I didn’t even take my shoes off.

So the story goes. I’m forced to spend time with the girl that kidnapped me. I’m forced to wear my ruined mess of an outfit to a simulator where I just refuse to play. I want to go home! I want to call my family and let them know I’m okay. All they know is that I didn’t come home last night. I visit some asshole to make a class schedule and just tell him to make it for me 'cause I have no intention of ever going to any of them.

During some free time I try to walk out the front door but the vice principal stops me. I want to try again later but I can’t. I go into town with my kidnapper and am forced to buy books and clothes. By this point I’ve spent 48+ hours in my ripped up blood-stained cardigan and hardly anyone’s mentioned it. I really want to escape from Astrid and run into the city but am given no option.

Soon there are new people in my dorm. Screw 'em! I want to leave and these guys are acting like it’s okay to kidnap people. They act like turning someone into a stone gargoyle is a harsh but acceptable punishment. They act like enslaved doll children are normal. Screw these evil people. I’m out.

But, no, I’m actually going to a party with them. I’m forced to ride on a motorcycle with one of 'em 'cause staying in the dorm and finding another way to sneak out isn’t an option. And at the party I can’t sneak out into the night. I’ve got to socialize and talk about magical politics when all I want to do is get out.

At this point, the demo ends. I’m thinking of having my character just snap and go murder-psycho on as many of them as I can. I don’t know magic, but I know how to shiv someone in their sleep with a knife snatched from the dining facility. And is there a war brewing between angels and demons? Well, let me help that war get started so they can all kill each other. Whoever survives will be the ones I kill myself.[/spoiler]

Still, I love this game. The characters are interesting (if you take the time to get to know them) and the setting resembles a college campus reasonably well. I’ve learned a great deal, too, about the nuts and bolts of writing a ChoiceScript game by looking under the hood. It’s fun and I can hardly wait for more (especially if more means the MC can go rogue on campus).

5 Likes

I personally can’t play this because I can’t role playing anything I could like at all.I tried 5 times. i discovered that this game going to 100% light side only route. That means game is bad? No of course not. Is fast paced but well described. Characters are well set and are credible… Lore is cool. It is simple for my is not a cog due I can’t choose anything I could remotely like for my role playing. Is designed with another minset and with other totally different player in mind with is good and that for all those like save the world and be blunty warriors or scholars. Any other sly or remotely ambitious option is un existing. Our pc is more naive totally oblivious or a douche troll but both with zero ambition, zero power hungriness and zero vengeance. Without that there is no Mara.

1 Like

Good analysis, my character feels a tiny bit different about some of those things though:

[spoiler]
Compared to my mc you exaggerate the bleeding. Didn’t Astrid say she healed you a bit too, as best she could?
I think that at least stopped the bleeding for my mc. Yeah, he’s got a useless arm/hand for the moment, but it wouldn’t be as bad as having to walk with a broken ankle at least.

Now I definitely agree they should have let my mc get to the doctor/medic/healer on campus first, a shower and some non stained, torn and bloody clothes would have been nice too.

The phone call home would have been nice too, but on further reflection my character gets that the secrecy act is probably a big deal, not at the moment in his ruined clothes though, at that time he’s just angry about it.

Yes, I really, really hope that the option for my mc to just either raid Leon’s wardrobe before that party or Cyrus’ while at it will be added, because at that point he’s sick and tired of walking around in his ruined clothes, particularly at a fancy party. Pretty please @daydreamsincolor ? [/spoiler]

Well yeah, at the beginning we’re obviously wounded and oblivious. And while we may never be able to go as “evil” as you would like my mc is definitely ambitious and depending on what kind of power perhaps even a tiny bit power-hungry.
As for the “vengeance” that’s where my mc admittedly gets a bit more silly than yours, as his vengeance plans currently center on raiding Cyrus and/or Leon’s wardrobes and ruining Astrid’s outfit and hair too at an opportune time in the future. :sweat_smile:
But then he gets gradually less and less angry. We’ll see when the when the family sub-plot starts but right now I have it in my head that my mc probably wouldn’t have been able to afford college, at least not without either working two jobs on the side somehow, hoping for a break in acting, modelling or vlogging, or even selling himself. At least this way he gets a mostly free college education with some of the less comfortable trade-offs taken out of the equation.

1 Like

Nah… I have to be a forced warrior and THAT’S A BIG NOPE IN MY BOOK. I really hate Astrid like Emma. I really think my character evolved to hate the entire Cambion specie as evil demons creatures. I probably helping this game giving a standard feedback in code… But The big soul of my style of feedback is impossible. No rp no Mara. The classes were real interesting except battle I HAVE SAY ALREADY how much i hate being a warrior and physical stat. I hope will be a negate go combat class because YOU MAKE ME QUIT POISON CLASS WELL FORGETTING I ASSIST COMBAT I AM ADULT DEAL WITH IT. also my character nor would search work or class so Wanting be kicked out. I mean with no powers, no possibility of climbing society and FORCED TO BE A MEAT SHIELD WARRIOR WTF I WILL WANT BE HERE

@poison_mara
You’re completely right that human MC should be able to take potions class—In the next update human MC will definitely be able to!

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

I’m working on getting relationship stats to be more accurate as I gradually gain a better understanding of fairmath :sweat_smile:

@idonotlikeusernames
But of course :joy:

6 Likes

How would one become a Dragonborn and what could be one of the hidden species?

You can find the walkthrough at post 1102 or 1103 by @Dark_Stalker

1 Like

They’re putting in the secret ones later, so you can’t be them yet, but the requirements are already there.

@daydreamsincolor How much will we be able to learn about skills we don’t have classes in? Can I bug a suite mate for learning potions, when I take combat?

@daydreamsincolor
Just out of curiosity question,the title of this wip is “keeper of the Sun and Moon” what “Sun” and “Moon” mean?

I believe I was answered on that a while ago, (I was guessing on the reason for hostility between Cambions and Nephilhim) the sun and moon are dragons that the Cambions, Nymphs and Nephilhims worship.

1 Like

@Dark_Stalker
You will be able to be self taught in pretty much anything, whether from asking suitemates or studying on the subject alone! (Although you might not get as good of an education as you would have if you’d taken the class).

@Vattena
There are a few reasons for the title:

• One of the main conflicts in the game is between nephilim and cambions (typically associated with sun and moon respectively)
  • It has significance to the main antagonists of the game
  • Artifact thefts that happen later in the game pertain to it
  • Angel, demon, and nymph mythology is a big part of the world’s culture
  • Keepers (like Brant Delacroix) have/had a special role in magi society
9 Likes

There will also be next semester, right? As unfortunately all the cool classes (combat/potions and ritual magic/telekinesis) are opposite one another. :disappointed:
My mc would so have preferred to be self-taught on elemental manipulation as it is the one class he really hates.
Hmm…are Altair or Cyrus any good at telekinesis? More importantly can either of them be persuaded to give my mc some remedial teaching? :blush: Actually particularly Altair, since my main, Nephilim mc already needs to ask Cyrus about those scary, awful Nephilim things and he’s the only one of them I trust to give him a more or less straight answer, considering how both Leon and Cressidia have their own nefarious agenda and will probably try to lure him into the magical equivalent of substance abuse real quick. :unamused:

You already can get addicted to magic, I doubt they would try to make more possibly crippling health problems :laughing:

Yeah, but the game more or less states that “angelic” magic is the absolute worst cause of “magic abuse” because it simultaneously masks the symptoms. In any case my mc doesn’t and likely will not ever fully trust Leon and Cressidia’s intentions.
Needless to say prevention is best here and my mc will try to avoid using angelic magic as much as possible, hopefully avoid using it entirely.

Shouldn’t you avoid all magic then?

Yeah, but things like telekinesis, elemental manipulation and ritual magic are just too cool and tempting not to use, fortunately it seems that my favourite, ritual magic poses substantially less risk of addiction than the others. As for elemental manipulation and telekinesis, I suppose my mc just needs to be careful how much he uses it and make sure he doesn’t come to rely on it.
One of the reasons why my mc is taking ordinary, non-magical combat, instead of spending more time with Altair in potions is exactly because he doesn’t want to become overly dependent on magic.:sweat_smile:

And angel magic isn’t?

Where/when does it say the specific side effects of angel magic?[quote=“idonotlikeusernames, post:1636, topic:12894”]
As for elemental manipulation and telekinesis, I suppose my mc just needs to be careful how much he uses it and make sure he doesn’t come to rely on it.
[/quote]

So don’t get too emotional?

So if relying on (emotional) magic has a lot of drawbacks doesn’t that make the dragonborn, elemental and magi the best races in the long run? Cambion/Nephilim may be the most powerful but the risks of getting addicted to magic are higher and it doesn’t help that they draw power from their emotions either, so its two dangers stacked on top of one another. Meanwhile the other three can rely on neutral magic, which I believe is less harmful and therefore sort of compensates in the long run? It may even be better in the end?

PS: Punch-magic doesn’t count. :stuck_out_tongue: