July 2022's Writer Support Thread

Hello all! I hope all you wonderful people are managing through as we get to summer. I’ve been working on my project “The Operative” full speed these past few months, I’ve updated it by nearly 50k in two months which is amazing for me. (Plus did my first ever nsfw stuff, cut to me looking embarrassed lol)
I’m hoping to keep up the progress despite getting to deeper character moments that I’m second guessing myself constantly with. (As well as balancing serious and more light hearted topics) But oh well we keep going forward!

13 Likes

What you guys think of the first writing story in novel style and once the first draft is done, writing CoG with choices and game elements, etc?

Then finish the novel after I have released the game.

Aka… my writing speed per day in free time is: CoG = 300 vs novel = 800 words. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve read a few people doing something like that, but I wouldn’t really recommend it. What makes a good novel and what makes a good game aren’t the same thing and although some of it is transferable, it’s really different skills. Plus you’d need to write the length of the novel again several times over in order to make it into a branching game - you’d be unlikely to save time.

10 Likes

From my perspective it would save time, cuz the main gist of story would be written and I write it way faster than the game. Would need to rewrite perspective, add branches, add game stats.

Or perhaps, it’s just that I enjoy writing novel more than game… hmmmm.

2 Likes

Are fake_choice bodies supposed to be enormous or am I just writing a text-heavy draft???

1 Like

Writing different formats always seem to exercise different sets of writing talents for me. I believe this is what Hannah was referring to when mentioning different skills.

Adapting details from one format (the traditional novel) to another (IF narrative) often is more complicated than it seems at first blush.

My experiences mirror Hannah’s.

My choice bodies (fake choices or otherwise) tend to be 150 words to 300ish words … anything more than that, I try to break off from the choice body text and insert it into the main narrative text once more.

3 Likes

Fell pretty far behind on writing lately. Hate to be a mood killer, but I still suffer from some pretty bad depressive episodes that make everything a slog, and I know better than to write when I’m not enjoying it.

9 Likes

It’s July already… which means the year is going way too darn fast! Pros are that it’s my birthday month, so that’s fun haha.

I didn’t complete my goals for June (sigh), I wanted to get an update out but personal life issues really got in the way, unfortunately, so I’ll be dragging over my goals from June to July.

I’ve written 33k since the last update in December and would think that I have around 25k more to go. I have my fingers and toes crossed that I can get it all done for this month.

Hope everyone’s doing well and wishing you all the luck for your goals this month.

12 Likes

Hi! This is my first time posting in this forum but I’m hoping that it’ll help me summon some semblance of motivation and accountability to stick with my goals!

I’m planning on releasing a chapter in a few days after an unfortunate hiatus and I’m still working on it! Going forward, my goal is to create more solid worldbuilding and lore separately so the story feels more lived in. I also hope to tackle the first act for the next chapter!

Wishing y’all luck this month! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I think I may have accidentally created a TTRPG.

6 Likes

Dont fish for comments, explain what that means!

4 Likes

I wasn’t fishing for comments! It was just a status update. :neutral_face: (But if you want a longer explanation, my stats design documents are very much starting to look like RPG rulesets. It’s unfinished so far though, so I don’t want to show it yet.)

4 Likes

Ok, serious question:
With every pros and cons what’s better for publishing: Wattpad? Deviantart? Patreon? Private blog? Something else wich I don’t even know?

2 Likes

Achievement unlocked: Priorities Straight
You handled your personal issues before your professional ones. Jeff Bezos is seething.

@burninglights Didn’t we reach the conclusion that crossed fingers were bad for typing?

6 Likes

CoG. Comes with a built in dedicated base of users guaranteed to have eyes on your work, with basically no marketing effort required. As someone who is very bad at self marketing, that’s really valuable.

Problem with stuff like Wattpad is that there are ten writers for every reader.

6 Likes

You’re doing phenomenally - that’s a huge amount of writing since your last update! Happy birthday for July.

Personal life, health and wellbeing are so important. Best of luck for looking after them as well as the project.

9 Likes

Hi :sweat_smile: this is my first time posting in one of these threads! In June, I started a Tumblr for my first IF WIP “Next in Line” and am having some people test the demo this week. So, I’ve been working on polishing it to release. This month, I plan to incorporate feedback to improve my demo, work on finishing the big picture chapter outlines and begin working on chapter 2.

10 Likes

I’m not sure if I can: what I’m writing is not thought to be interactive like a cyoa

2 Likes

@writerindisguise Well that’s awesome! I hope progress goes smoothly on chapter two!
:smiley:

3 Likes

Hahaha. Crossed toes would definitely be ok though.

And @milaswriting - I have no idea how half the year went by already! But hey that sounds like solid progress since december! And happy birthday month to you! :partying_face:

5 Likes