Journey of the Vanguard (WIP) - Updated 6/27/16

That’s not what I was trying to say at all; I apologize if that’s what it came out as. Like I said, the only thing the made me really think RWBY was the family set-up, and even then it’s only really the uncle. The woman that killed off your family was honestly just a superficial suggestion and I’m not saying she HAS to be changed. It was just an offhand suggestion. I didn’t think of Ozpin when being saved by the guy and assuming that I would think that is a bit of a jump.

I even stated that the aura bit and the creatures that attack you are are unique. The world itself is unique. I’m not asking him to go change every character; though I suppose in hindsight my comment may sound like that. Just to be wary of making future characters too similar to RWBY and maybe changing the uncle up a bit. Key word being MAYBE. I’m NOT saying he absolutely must do this or else the game is garbage. I’d still play this game and genuinely enjoy it even if nothing was changed. It’s just constructive criticism and suggestions which, correct me if I’m wrong, is the purpose of these forums.

4 Likes

yeh sorry man i was in a bit of a bad mood earlier haha

forgive me ?

Don’t even worry about it! We all have bad moods and it’s understandable to want to defend someone else’s hard work. While it wasn’t my intent to imply that all the characters needed to be changed, I can see how my original comment could be misread. Your comment gave me the chance to clarify my original statement, if nothing else. Regardless, it’s all good! I hold no grudges against you.

1 Like

that’s good and yeh even though its still early in development this is one of my top 5 games im looking forward to play and hopefully contribute some good ideas

P.S. in rwby she calls her scythe crescent rose now i dont think its copying rwby since lots of anime/movie characters name they’re weapons do you think it would be good if in Journey of the Vanguard that we got to name the weapon we use

I have been thinking about giving weapons names, actually. Haven’t quite decided whether to do it or not, since I’m still on the fence about whether or not “You swing ${weapon_name}” flows better or worse than “You swing your staff.”

1 Like

either way the way you are making this game is awesome also i dont know if you saw my earlier comment but here it is.

Okay i LOVE the new update i only want to change one thing at the end it says when you leave the mountain and the hearthfire behind that you start crying… i didn’t like that because i’m trying to make the ultimate badass i think we should get a choice on what to do like

1. Say “i love you” one last time
  2. Grin knowing your finally off this hellish mountain
  3. Cry

i personally want to choose number 2

@darren_muir I did see that one, and thanks for the idea. Through most of the story, I tried to avoid telling the player they felt a certain emotion unless they’d just made a choice to feel a certain emotion, but with that last line, I’d just come off writing like 6k words for the Tesla snake fight, it was super late, and I just wanted the update to be done, so I rolled with it and made everyone cry. I’ll give everyone control of their tear ducts again in the next update.

@ShadedGamer Glad to hear aura in this story is sufficiently different. I was having real trouble thinking to an alternative of the word that I liked (there was a never published build that replaced “aura” with “vigor”, but “vigor” didn’t quite work for the scenes where aura acts as a shield), so I’m glad replacing it doesn’t seem to be necessary.

I can totally see how people could get an Uncle Qrow vibe from Uncle Johnny, but I didn’t expect the whole family situation to be seen as RWBY-esque. That might just be because I always saw it as a near-blatant Secret Saturdays rip off, just missing a couple of pets.

I actually really like the idea of turning Uncle Johnny into Grandpa Johnny, but I’m still not sure if I’ll implement it, because that ruins a bit of backstory/headcanon I have that your uncle and mother used to date and there’s a slight chance your uncle might actually be your dad. I’d put that in spoiler brackets, but I honestly can’t think of when it would be relevant to bring this up in the story. It’s probably ultimately pointless, but I sentimentally hold onto that point of backstory because I feel like it subconsciously informed how I wrote the first chapter.

4 Likes

actually it would feel weird only having 3 people as family so keep uncle johnny as uncle johnny and maybe once we get back to civilization we can get taken to our grandparents and after you tell them what happened and tell them you want to get justice/revenge on the people that killed your parents/uncle your ex vanguard grandparents teach you themselves

Finally tried the demo and it was amazing! :grinning:

I was very impressed by the classes! Assassin/Medic becoming Surgeon is my current fave. My scalpel will be seeing a lot of use either way :smiling_imp:

Oh, and I am also an avid fan of RWBY, but I did not see the connections and inspiration until someone mentioned it! So I still think the story are quite original! :smile:

Looking forward to finally attend the Vanguard school!

1 Like

we should spread the word of this WIP and make a fanclub

@darren_muir Hopefully it won’t feel that wierd, because that’s actually the case. The whereabouts of the rest of your family (your grandparents) get addressed in the next chapter and right now, they’re all dead. Your paternal grandfather actually was Vanguard though. Don’t remember if I mentioned that in the story or if you just guessed it. If you guessed it, cool!

I don’t know if this WIP deserves a fanclub just yet (though it did recently earn the right to be called a WIP and not a WIP-IP), but I’m flattered that you think so!

@H2O It’s always nice to hear the world is standing on its own two feet, and that people are enjoying it. Thanks a bunch, and I hope you like the rest of the story!

1 Like

Thus far I’ve achieved the Engineer class. My character acquired his father’s shield. I enjoyed the update. I’m very curious to see what happens when our character get to the home planet. But having them tinker around in the wreck of the ship was a fun introduction.

home planet ?

planet ?

im pretty sure this is all done on one singular planet called Echo

this isn’t an outer space game

maybe you misread the description of the game or you accidentally typed world i dont know but just wanted to tell you this game is based and done on one planet and its called Echo.

1 Like

Can confirm, singular planet. I actually can see where the confusion could originate from. But hey! Now I have an excuse to do a post talking about the geography of Echo!

There are four continents and eight major civilizations in Echo. The continents (in order of first settlement by humanity) are: Kaberon, Oreia, Talis, and Westerra. The seven civilizations are Kaberon, the Fallen Empires (Kaberon), Oreia, Ikan (Oreia), Talis (Talisean Union), the Combined Districts of Westerra (Westerra), the Iberian Republic (Westerra), and then, Valiant (Talis).

In addition to these human civilizations, each continent is still homed to wild areas. Half of both Talis and Westerra are Wilds. In Westerra, people are actively settling in it, calling it the frontier. The Talisean Union on the other hand went and built a giant wall along its northern border to keep the dangers of the Wilds out. In Oreia and Kaberon, Wilds areas are much smaller, relegated to the peripheral of society (mountains, deserts, smaller islands).

1 Like

I definitely enjoyed the demo and can’t wait to see what comes next. I felt that it was written wonderfully and got immersed in the world almost immediately.

3 Likes

Psst hey you Psst

hands leaflet

Join our fanclub for this game its small but growing… and i wanted soooo much to make a penis joke there but i held myself back

4 Likes

Love it!

Also, most minor of error during the trip to Valiant with the box; the is spelt as th

2 Likes

I may have misinterpreted based on the apparent scale of the ship as it was more reminiscent of a space ship as opposed to a more mundane plane.

That makes sense. Flying around patroling the frontier is certainly evocative of plenty of space-faring stories, and the Hearthfire is a pretty big ship. It’s basically a really big flying house.

This just made it into my list of favourite wips. Not many writers can instantly immerse me in a story, you are one of them. I suppose it helps that I love scifi and fantasy but that’s beside the point. Anyway, can’t wait for the next update.