Journey of the Vanguard (WIP) - Updated 6/27/16

couldn’t reply yesterday because i reached my limit from being a new user

After you choose your aura teacher. That happens.

Ah yes. The “Futurist” class (Engineer-Hacker) is currently still bugged. Been meaning to put out a fix for that.

Thanks for tracking this down!

The game has great start, and has potential to be even better. The path I played had no error.
Although the RWBY influence is obvious especially aura. I think you could replace it with magic or ki. Magic is pretty obvious. Ki in most work of fiction is an energy used to enhance the body. My two cents to make it somewhat different.

You had me on the edge of my seat towards the end.

3 Likes

I would just like to say
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: from the Dragon in the den! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Loved this WIP, I find it very interesting. And I did notice while reading it, a few things that reminded me of RWBY (mainly the aura and world description). Anyway keep up the good work, I’m looking forward to more! :smile:
@PhoenixAgent003
Also (forgive me if I missed this detail) will the MC gain a special skill or power due to their aura, similar to that in RWBY?

isn’t their a game by the name of vanguard or something of that sort where they fly balloon ships and fight in balloon battles? sounds similar in a way.

Hey, now that you mention it I think there is…

When I chose the name Myra I got this:

Li! There’s… outside… lower the ramp!.. hear me?”

But any attempt you make to get them to tell you is either flat out ignored or met only with a distracted, “Not now, Li.” Even your mother, who usually always makes time for you, seems too distracted to talk. Whatever’s going on, it has your whole family worried.

And when I chose the name Li I got this:

Maya! There’s… outside… lower the ramp!.. hear me?”

But any attempt you make to get them to tell you is either flat out ignored or met only with a distracted, “Not now, Maya.” Even your mother, who usually always makes time for you, seems too distracted to talk. Whatever’s going on, it has your whole family worried.

I found the exact same errors

I believe it was said that MC was an accident. Well, even superheroes families can have undesired childs it seems. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(sorry if there’s people in that case that read this, no harms meant)

1 Like

@ninja6398 I’ll keep that in mind. I’m going to hold off on changing the name of anything until the game has had a chance to stretch and show more of its differences, but if it comes to that, at least now I have a few ideas.

@SuperNova Ah yes. Actually though, semblances aren’t a thing in this universe. Aura has a very fixed set of capabilities. Some Vanguard may specialize in one of those capabilities, but none of them can make aura do anything unique or special.

I’ve been thinking about adding a scene between the MC and their chosen aura teacher to better flesh out its capabilities and give players more time to bond with their family before the end of the chapter. Still debating it though.

@ZoeSenka @alliebee Well shoot. Just when I thought I’d ironed everything out in that chapter. Well, thanks for pointing this out! No amount of quicktest will turn up an error like that.

…and as it turns out, the name Aidan was bugged to. Double thanks.

And thanks to everyone who’s gone through and read it so far! I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the reception the game’s received so far.

1 Like

I think adding a scene at that point in the story would be a great idea!:smile:
@PhoenixAgent003

1 Like

So, the next chapter is going to offer the MC the opportunity to hold a sort of funeral/memorial/farewell… thing for their family. In the circumstance, the MC is the only one around, there are no bodies, and there are very few resources on hand. In fact, all you really have are naturally occurring materials in the surrounding woods, and debris from the crash of the Hearthfire.

I’m currently planning on giving players the option of how specifically to honor the dead, and current planned options are:
-Construct a monument out of stacked rocks
-Make an engraved plaque using debris
-Burn a funeral pyre

I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas for honoring deceased given the described circumstances.

(Also, I totally went overboard on the spoiler tags, didn’t I?)

3 Likes

I’m really excited for this one!!

I would love to see a scene between the MC and their aura teacher, to give us a bit more feel for how the “magic system” works and let us bond with the MC’s family.

1 Like

I do, but it may be a bit too big for the few ressources at disposal.
I was thinking about arising some kind of pillar made from the wreckage of the hearthfire, maybe write some words on it, names or whatever. With pyres on the sides and making some kind of altar in front of it with mom’s gun and other things. Eventually come back in pilgrimage.

A water funeral, perhaps? I’m not sure if there’s a river near the MC at this point but that’s another fairly common burial type. The MC might just need some cloth to use as shrouds?

MC doesn’t find the bodies.

1 Like

Oh that’s right. Well I guess there’s the equipment left behind by the Guardian in the fight (I dunno if that changes based on choices so I won’t name what I got). It’s probably smarter and more sentimental to not chuck that into a river though.