Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale Free-for-All Discussion Thread Where Spoilers May Appear

I love this game. It always puts me in a good mood when I play it. This story has probably made a lot of different people smile. Sorry if this isn’t really part of a discussion, just thank you very much.

13 Likes

Hear hear, I’m due for a playthrough again to warm up the cockles in my heart.

1 Like

Thank you so much, @Waldo. When I sit down to write, that’s pretty much the thing I want to happen, to make people smile. It means a lot to me for you to tell me that. My next funny line goes out to you. :beers:

10 Likes

I just remembered that you once said that you’d update the tally ho choices regarding haze getting therapy or not so i was wondering if you could do the same for val using their real name as well? It’s just bother me a bit so it’s fine if you don’t want to

That might give players spoilers, and after all, Valentine has been working so hard to get their stage name in lights, so I’m going to leave it as it is–if you mean Valentine in a later game, they’d be using their stage name, anyhow, with the Jolly Good protagonist.

4 Likes

I’ve been weirdly wanting to write a fanfic where Inspector Ambrose is replaced with other famous fictional detectives.

To be honest, maybe that comes from wanting to see Benoit Blanc bursting in interwar England and going “Well, uhm, mistuh Partridge, if I may, u-hum, inturject here, can’t you see that this Bitsy woman is playin’ yuh like an alligator plays with its food?”

2 Likes

I looked up Jeunes filles en serre chaud (one of the books Aunt Matilda discusses at the Greek restaurant scene in Chapter 4), and apparently it was published in 1934 - but doesn’t this game take place in the 1920s? That struck me as a bit odd. Sorry to burst that bubble.

The ad on Steam claims that Tally Ho takes place in the 1920s, which would suggest that Cakes and Ale also takes place in the 1920s. The ad is mistaken, however.

So Aunt Matilda could reasonably have read Jeunes filles en serre chaud.

4 Likes

Oh, yeah, the steam page was what I was going off of. Thanks for the correction.

One thing that I’m curious about: Uncle Chum is, as far as I can recall, the father of Marmaduke, but we never hear anything about the mother. I know that this means that she’s not with them anymore, whether this is because she’s no longer living or she got divorced/ran away. So I’m wondering if you have any plans to tell more about her, who she was, her story etc in any of the upcoming books, @Gower ?

1 Like

Marmaduke’s mother is deceased, but I haven’t defined her in any way as of yet. I do have some (very distant and vague) ideas about her that won’t come to fruition in Tea and Scones–but possibly we will hear minor tidbits. Of all the many little seeds I’ve planted in this series, she isn’t (yet) one of them.

5 Likes

Just curious, what are everyone’s favorite funny moments from the game, moments that made you laugh out loud?

For me, when you’re at the opera and investigating, and Parsnip comes along and “helps you” by kicking a guard in the shins, and one of the following options is to also kick the poor guard in the shins (who afterwards limps off, tears in his eyes)

Another one was accidentally giving Marmaduke’s sabotaged letter to Johnny Buttons, then convincing Johnny Buttons that Marmaduke was a violent brute after him, and then Johnny Buttons’ later claim that he barely escaped Marmaduke with his life

In my first playthrough, I completely forgot about the newspaper article, and ended up the most hilarious article that called my MC an example of the “miserablwonderful state of the aristocracy”, someone who “we all ought to admire and condemn” and closed off with “what a charming individual! I was disguslighted.”

6 Likes

This game is one of the most funny things that I’ve ever read or played! Kudos to the author for an amazing job. So many moments in the game made me smile as well.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve commented on this forum before, but I had to change that to express just how much I love this game. I’ve played it more than any other COG, easily. Any time I’m on an airplane I end up playing it (and Tally Ho!) multiple times. The characters and the world are so so immersive and enjoyable to read about.
I feel like I play most COGs as ‘games,’ while I play this one as a ‘story,’ if that makes sense. I’m usually laser-focused on getting the ‘best’ ending or completing certain goals, but when I go through Jolly Good I pick options based on how well I think they’d mesh with the pre-existing world and with the MC I’ve envisioned. Even the results that you get when you ‘fail’ are enjoyable to read about, so I feel free to pick those options without feeling like I’ve failed.
My personal favorite part of this series are the characters, though! Of course I’m glad this is a game, but the characters are so endearing to me that I think I’d still love it if it were a book, which is something I don’t think I could say about a lot of games. Even the characters with relatively little screentime are super memorable to me (Pilcrow’s my personal favorite secondary character). I don’t think there’s a single character I truly dislike; even those that are frustrating at times are endearingly so, and are very entertaining to read about.
I feel like every time I replay this game I discover a million new things about it. I already adored Tally Ho, but Jolly Good: C&A is somehow even better!

10 Likes

Thanks for creating C&A …I liked the great number of variety of paths for every option and I’m slowly reading through the code to see all the alternate paths. Also, I love how Fitzie’s reactions to MC depend on many stats which adds a lot of replayability to the book. It was great to see the returning characters like Rory and Haze show up in unexpected places.

My favorite RO were Fitzie and Vyv since I feel like for MC they balanced them out with their personalities and events. Also, now I’m curious to see the new RO in T&S in the future.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting into perfumes lately, and I just started wondering what kind of fragrances the characters from Jolly Good would use.

I like the idea of Gilberto wearing something like the original Malbec. Very woody, very conventionally masculine, very liked, you can use it in plenty of settings (including an office). It’s also less pricey than other perfumes, which would suit a character like Gilberto just fine.

For Tabby, I liked the idea of something like Rosenrot by Rammstein. Something about the metal notes mixed with the roses gave this sort of a gothic, ‘adult’, outcast vibe. Tabby would probably wear this in London to blend in with the café crowd, to give her a more ‘daring’ feel instead of her shy personality.

I’m still thinking about Fitzie (something vanilla, maybe?) and Vyv. I’ve been in a huge perfume nerd mood lately, so I’d love to see what everyone thinks :>

5 Likes

I like to think of Haze wearing Bronze and Blaze by Alkemia. It’s autumnal and bittersweet. It has a bit of an edge to it with the tobacco and myrrh. It even has oak leaf as one of its notes. Perfect for stealing champagne or having a liaison during a foxhunt.

2 Likes

Ooh, I liked the description you gave! It definitely fits Haze!

Fitzie: What We Do In Paris is Secret by A Lab on Fire. Something something vanilla and honey is such a sweet mix, I think it fits Fitzie perfectly. Sweet, maybe with a twist in the mix, not quite proper and stately.

Vyv: Silver Mountain Water by Creed. Vyv obviously wears some fragrance because they’re very wealthy, but also because I guess they have to disguise the potent smell of paints that they usually have around them. I struggled with Vyv because I kept looking up things that I could associate with them (paper? libraries?), but they do react well when the MC wears a soft, citrus perfume in Chapter 1. I liked this to go with Vyv, something green with some fruits added on top, very discreet, etc.

So, Gilberto’s woody, Fitzie’s gourmand, Tabby’s synthetic/floral and Vyv is citrus. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes