Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale Free-for-All Discussion Thread Where Spoilers May Appear

Wait, Valentine ISN’T a 10-foot tall sentient pair of bowling shoes?! GASP

Really :roll_eyes: THAT’S the best he can do? If he really wants to amp up the mafia-ness of his threat he should have given the victim a Dead Sea dragon head

1 Like

The problem with using sea dragon heads is that vikings tend to show up thinking it’s a drakkar figurehead, and once you get vikings they’re a bugger to get rid of. Got to call the exterminator and fumigate the whole place, and by the time that happens they’ve drunk your entire stock of beer.

Nah, vikings still raid your fridge, slump on the couch, and hog the TV remote. It’s why they’re officially classified as pests.

1 Like

But what if the person doesn’t drink … or even like alcoholic beverages?Doesn’t that mean the person has a superiority regarding the issue ? :thinking:

Awww :frowning:

Hope @ImogenW don’t mind me sharing this reply when i asked the same thing last year!

I only remember needing to 1) end the previous chapter at around ten Support, 2) avoid winning at the arena, doing too good a job with the article or having high relationship scores with lots of other club members (since these give huge score boosts later, which we don’t want in this case), and 3) just replay the chapter again and again to get the exact Support value (14, if I recall correctly), since you can earn additional last-minute points through activities like frolicking in the pool. I had to replay from start to finish a few times to hit the right number, though.

Still don’t have a chance to test it out coz I got distracted by other matters, but maybe it’ll work for you?

2 Likes

It did work, thank you! It took a couple restarts, but just knowing that the goal was a score of 14 helped immensely. Now, though, I realize that I actually have one hidden achievement left. Pain. Ah, it was the Big V and Clara one! I’ve now completed all achievements. :star_struck:

1 Like

Okay I read in Jolly Good wiki that apparently it’s possible for MC to go visit Rory in chapter 8. Does anyone have managed to do that? :thinking:

3 Likes

You can’t be in a relationship or have a reputation larger or equal to 65 with any of the ROs. Also, on a tangentially related note, if you do meet up with Rory and they’re in a relationship with Frankincense, they say “I suppose I knew what I was getting in for when I wed. Fancy me being wed. It doesn’t seem quite right” and “I won’t say I am jealous of you, because I am blessedly happy, but I do sometimes cast my mind back to earlier times and reminisce, just a bit about what it was like to sleep in one’s bed without a long-necked goose awakening one with a sharp nip on the nose”. which I find very sad:(

5 Likes

I’m sorry but that last part was hilarious :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the info! Oh really? Interested to see what Rory says in my playthrough where they are in polyamory relationship with tally ho mc and Frankincense

1 Like

Huh :thinking: that’s really interesting (and it somewhat supports a theory I’ve been brewing up in my head). Here’s what Rory would say if they were married to the MC (note my MC is the charming sort so the flavor text would reflect that) :
"It’s rather spiffing of you to have come by for tea, says Rory, as you and he stroll down the sidewalk towards the Noble Gas Club. “One likes to put one’s better teacups to use every once in a blue moon, as the saying goes.”
"It was a pleasure to see your home, you say.
“I appreciate the hospitality.” Rory smiles.
“And I finally got to meet Aldair. I thought Aldair
was so charming.”
“Yes,” laughs Rory. “Everyone is mad about
Aldair. Rather a charmer. Aldair seemed a fan of
yours as well, and said that they hoped you’d
swing by for dinner some time. Of course they
said it more elegantly than that. I’m only
paraphrasing.”
And so, as you and Rory chit-chat, and walk the
many blocks to the clubhouse, you approach the
Noble Gases to see two figures exiting the
clubhouse. Rory points them out with interest.”

Ooh, do tell :eyes:. Or maybe that should be an ear emoji, as I’m all ears.

If you say so :eyes:……

If you play Tally Ho and if Figs escapes the dinner party, you’ll have Rory confessing that they developed “warm feelings” for the MC . (Rory would only say this if your relationship with them is 40). However, Haze (if you choose to ride with them in the hunt AND if you’re not locked in Rory’s romance route yet) will tell you that Rory is in love with you! (Even with a low relationship with Rory!!) I’m suspecting foul play here :eyes:……

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I definitely think Rory is always in love with the MC.

3 Likes

Exactly :eyes:

Like seriously, now I feel kinda bad setting Rory up with Frankincense. Like I’m sure Rory and Frankincense are swell people on their own but I don’t really think a wedding or even a long time engagement between the two would last really long. In Tally Ho, after the engagement bliss has worn off the two can’t even go through a conversation together without an argument blowing up UNLESS the MC intervenes. Like, I feel like the only way Frankincense and Rory could be together (healthily and long term wise) is if the MC is in the part of the formula.

1 Like

I have been replaying this gem! And ohhhhh how I love every single character, the humour and the story! It’s amazing what you can create Gower! Absolutely hilarious and just what I need in my life!
Your games are literally the only ones that I keep coming back to, trying out new paths and choices that would normally never cross my mind to choose.

I will patiently wait for the next instalment!!

Three mistakes I found in the game:

Starling is a woman in my playthroughs and yet is here referred to as ‘him’.
I pointed out this mistake before, somewhere in the first few months of 2021 :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile: But it’s still there and I made sure to check if my game was up to date (which it is).
I hope it can be fixed :innocent:

The sentence is missing ‘you’. Should be: ‘the two of you pressed together tightly.’

‘Moments’ should be ‘Movements’

4 Likes

Thanks for the catches! I will fix those tomorrow, and send those in with a few other typos I’ve caught. The funny thing about writing a game this long is that when I read these excerpts they don’t even sound familiar to me at first, and then ever so slowly they return to memory.

Hedwig Cowper-Cooper is a good name. I can tell Hedwig is a cultured individual.

I’m nearly halfway through Tea and Scones (just finishing up Chapter Four) with four more chapters to go. I can’t wait to share it with you!

Edit on 2/26: typos, pronoun errors, and a few other sentence-level stuff fixed–nothing too exciting! I just sent the revision in to my editor, so it won’t go up immediately, but fairly soon, I hope.

10 Likes

I have to say I am a bit confused about Fritzie’s stat. I was trying to romance him so obviously I tried to get along with him as much as I could. Eventually, I reached 92 but then I noticed the stats would take massive falls for seemingly no reason. For example, when I chose him for vice president, it fell from 70 something (I am not sure what choice made it fall to that) to 62 but he seemed happy with my choice. I genuinely don’t get what I did wrong. Is this intentional or is some short of bug?

Looking at the code, I don’t see any reason why Fitzie’s relationship stat would fall at that point. Below is the only place where you can choose Fitzie as VP:

*set esprit %-10
*if rechoose = 1
	*set rep_fitz %+10
*achieve atservice
*set vp "Fitzie"
*goto choosesponsor

Vice President aside, what you desribe above is a feature of the way Fairmath calculates stats. When you get a stat so far on one end of the curve like 92, even a pretty small decrease like %-10 will knock off a lot of points. Fairmath wants to add/subtract a lot when you are either adding to a really low score or subracting from a really high score.

4 Likes

I hate this. I’m glad I have ways to produce Unfairmath. :smiling_imp:

How do you get the ros to give you what they always wanted to give once you become close to them? Every playhtrough I get fitzie interrupting our conversation. What choices do I have to make in order for us to not be interrupted?