Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale Free-for-All Discussion Thread Where Spoilers May Appear

Glad to hear so! But honestly, thanks for writing this scene with Haze in the first place. I feel like I’ve betrayed my TallyHo!MC every time I follow through with their proposal but this is probably a Haze who never had the emotionally fraught moment with said MC atop that Roman wall anyway. It’s strange that I have to justify things like this though.

Edit: @ImogenW, I’m glad to know I’m not alone with having this feeling! And congrats on getting all the achievements! I’m still working on having Merle become my tiebreaker.

7 Likes

I’ve been getting the ROs sick left and right for amusement’s sake, but the only one I can’t seem to really manage this with is Fitzie. As far as I know, the MC can only catch a cold by drinking from the wrong cup at the clothing store (a choice that, each time I click it, fills me with vicious nausea), but Fitzie’s kiss in the cab happens before that, and I haven’t managed to find another kiss option until the very last chapter. I thought scandalously sharing a plum might do it, but no luck there. So, as horrified as I am by the phrasing of this question: anyone know how to spread the germs in Fitzie’s direction?

Also, achievements!

Getting the exact amount of support needed for the tiebreaker achievement took too many playthroughs to freely admit to, but I’m finally done! Also, this one isn’t an achievement in the official sense, but:

I wonder if there are any more of these hidden away that I can collect :joy:

I kinda know the feeling, actually! I usually romance Rory in Tally Ho, but for curiosity’s sake I left them single in one of my playthroughs and… There was a line while matchmaking Thunder & Pipsy at the arena where Rory can say something like “sometimes you meet the person you love and you let them get away,” with the pronoun used being Tally Ho!MC’s, and when the realisation hit I let out a very soft “…Oh.” It really did feel like a sort of betrayal. Uh, all that to say, I don’t think it’s strange at all, haha.

24 Likes

Does anyone else imagine colonel firesnuff as the general from blackadder :rofl:

6 Likes

Ha! I didn’t, but now the mental images will follow me, I’m sure. It’s rather amusing imagining Firesnuff going be-e-eh!

I sometimes imagine Rory as a young Hugh Laurie, so that rather fits the theme.

2 Likes

That sounds so sad :pensive: My heart bleeds for Rory :sob: And Haze.
Anyway, I wonder what would happen to the playthrough if the MC had met with a romanced Haze , who has left the life of crime behind them and decided to get an honest job :thinking:. Since that is what I considered as one of my canon endings. Along with living together with Rory and living the rest of their presumed lives as a couple

6 Likes

Is Reverend William Theobald going to be a prominent character in Tea and Scones? He seems such a bore and my MC is ready to annoy him.

1 Like

Very yes. You will have ample opportunity to annoy him should you so desire.

3 Likes

How did you develop a fear of filing cabinets?

2 Likes

@Greyscales Thanks! And good luck, haha, because that’s the one that gave me the most trouble too.

I got it while trying to steal Fitzie’s letters of condemnation at the Cadbury Club, in the ‘return the table’ branch of, uh, I wanna say Chapter 3? Can’t remember what the exact choices were, but the brief version is that my MC did a very bad job of staying quiet, hid from Millicent inside a file cabinet, and then ended up stuck inside it. Side note, I really, really love how ‘failing’ doesn’t feel like a bad thing at all throughout the game, and can in fact at times be even more entertaining/rewarding than success.

9 Likes

That’s phenomenal art! Thanks for sharing.

This one’s gotta be one of my favorite Fitzie aphorisms:

6 Likes

I need a bit more help with the Understudy achievement than the achievement guide provides. What combination of actions taken/stats gained do I need to even unlock the dialogue option to offer to act as Gilberto’s understudy?

1 Like

That’s my fault. You have to have a higher than 50 Scandal to even see the option, and I forgot to put that in the Guide. I will amend that and add it to the list of corrections I send in early next week.

Thanks for helping me find that.

5 Likes

Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale is a legitimate masterpiece. After completing my initial run and reading the Author’s Note, I decided to play through the game with five separate stat focuses to see how the story would change. Even after finding out the story was written with that kind of adaptability in mind, the variance in tone was flat out amazing.

Culture/Persuade with the Ambassador’s Party scandal was downright tragic. I started off as a devil-may-care version of Gustave from the Grand Budapest Hotel, living with no regard for the consequences of my actions because of how charmed my life seemed to be. I dressed to the nines, encouraged Vyv to forget about his studies, and promised everything to everyone in the Opera, Newspaper, and Arena chapter. Then my old college friends tried to get me drunk, drawing my character into the exact scandal that ruined his reputation, and he went along with it wholeheartedly.

It was goddamned horrible.

I had to restart the chapter and turn them down. It was the first time I’d considered the consequences of anything the entire game, and it felt like whatever magic held my protagonist’s life together began to wane as he excused himself from their table. With the exception of helping Fitzie join the Rose and Thorn, everything I tried that night was a disaster. The printing press exploded, the Noble Gasses lost the bout, and the Opera was a total catastrophe. I wasn’t even elected club president. And despite all that, right before the end of the story, Vyv said he was modeling his behavior after me. Good lord I felt terrible.

Bold/Persuade with the Political Speech scandal was almost the opposite. I was brash, emotional, and a complete disaster in the eyes of good society, but utterly loyal to anyone I considered a friend. I fell backwards through four panes of glass to protect a punchbowl owned by a total stranger, won a public shouting match with an orphan, took several punches from a professional boxer helping my valet play matchmaker, and charged into an angry mob - of my own creation - to defend the honor of a woman I’d met less than a month ago. The whole mess was so brilliantly ridiculous it almost reminded me of Toast of London, but in the end it all worked out perfectly. The Noble Gasses won the tournament by a hair, Fitzie got her photograph, the two of us fell in love, and I was elected club president by a landslide. The resulting fire did spell the end of Ernie’s punchbowl, but by that point in the story I was laughing too hard to care. Poor Pilcrow had just been put in charge of teaching spycraft to a blackbird, and she was the only one trying to put out the fire! What an absolutely perfect ending.

My three other playthroughs made liberal use of cheats, and this review is already long enough, so I won’t talk about them in detail. Suffice to say that with the appropriate combination of stat editing and story choices, it is completely possible to play Jolly Good as a tribute to The Fantastic Mr. Fox, an optimistic retelling of Don Quixote, or a Wodehouse reimagining of Going Postal. This game is absolutely fantastic, and I can’t wait for the next installment in the series.

22 Likes

This achievement, along with getting the coffeehouse to sponsor the club, is rather more difficult than it otherwise would be since for some reason my Scandal drops automatically and significantly during Chapter 6. Like, I have 68 Scandal at the end of Chapter 5 and it’s 47 by the time I enter the opera house, with no opportunity to raise it again before I talk to Polly.

1 Like

Would I be wrong in guessing that you specifically instructed Fitzie to go to the opera and “Focus on bolstering and burnishing my reputation in the eyes of good society” as Fitzie’s chapter 6 task?

1 Like

Actually, I sent him to the newspaper office with Tabby.

1 Like

Weird. I don’t see anything in the code that would cause such a big drop in Scandal at the opera start of ch. 6 other than that.

The situation is mysterious.

Therefore, if you or anyone else playing that bit can determine the moment when the scandal drop occurs, that might give me a clue (which I would then write in my CLUES notebook).

If it happens in the chapter transition, or talking to Johnny Buttons, or the moment you stroll into the opera, or what have you.

2 Likes

Okay.

Scandal peaks at 68 in Chapter 4 when I tell Tabby that I am rarely content.

It goes down to 62 when President Ernie congratulates me for getting the table to the Cadbury Club almost unscathed (I signed the sign-up sheet and it got scratched going down the stairs).

Finally, it drops down to 47 when Valentine and I part company after a successful bookstore heist.

1 Like

You’ll get a big scandal drop (like, up to %-25 big) if Val really likes you after the heist. Maybe that’s the reason?

1 Like

Ah, I had forgotten that one–the public approbation for you rubbing elbows with a celebrity. -25%! Well, that would explain it.

1 Like