Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale Free-for-All Discussion Thread Where Spoilers May Appear

Barely a week until launch! I wanted to share with you something I realized a couple days ago. Apparently, Featherstonehaugh doesn’t sound like, you know, Feather-Stone-Hag. The real pronounciation is, if you believe Google’s top results, FERN-shaw. And I can’t believe I’ve been saying it wrong in my head this entire time.

4 Likes

Quite right. So the name Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh is rather a tricky name to say accurately if you just read it…

As far as snippets and stuff you can do in game, I don’t think I can do better than the bullet list that’s on the Steam page. That should whet your appetite appropriately and give you a decent sense of some of the things you can get up to. To wit:

28 Likes

@Gower Regarding the editing articles : Do we ACTUALLY write those things or are we letting our servant do it ? Since if we actually do does that mean our Leisurely aristocrat is not a leisurely aristocrat at all ?

2 Likes

I beta-tested the game. The PC is an aristocrat/person of leisure who gets up to various shenanigans. Unlike in Tally Ho! where the MC was the “Jeeves” part of the Jeeves and Wooster duo, Jolly Good puts us in the place of Bertie Wooster. The PC is as active as Bertie is. That is to say, the PC doesn’t have a 9-5 job, but takes lots of active measures to get out of sticky situations. The PC can muck about with editing and printing presses to un-stick themselves from a situation. Or not! :grinning:

13 Likes

Ooh… that does make sense. But from what I know from my unfortunately limited knowledge on Jeeves our precautions don’t have a lot of effect in preventing those disasters. The only one capable of that is Jeeves.

2 Likes

I can confidently say that your precautions to prevent disaster will have a lot of effect.

5 Likes

How much affect ? Enough to prevent that event from happening ?

1 Like

six more days… SIX MORE DAYS TILL IT’S HERE!!! I’m so excited for this release. Ugh… the public demo can’t come soon enough. Oh yeah, now that I think about it… would the public preview/demo just be 3 chapters or 2 ?

11 Likes

The demo will be the short prologue, and the first two chapters, which is about 215,000 words or so in total. Should keep you busy for a few days!

28 Likes

T-That’s JUST the DEMO ?! :scream:
Oh my gosh @Gower this is better than I expected. But seriously, isn’t that already a size of some finished games in here? But, I’m not complaining… hehe :grin:

4 Likes

Is C&A gonna be the first CoG with 1mil+ words? I think I asked this before but it’s been a while.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure about the official numbers, but, off the top of my head, it is going to be the first company game to go through the million word mark. When it comes to company releases and Hosted Games, though, Tin Star and Magikiras are the two older releases who already crossed that bridge.

5 Likes

I believe the copy edit came through at about 1.2 million words, which sounds like a small distinction until you realize 0.2 million is larger than some entire games!

I believe one chapter in particular is around 450k words, mostly through separate and almost entirely exclusive adventures (you can go to location A, B, or C for the evening, or try to split your time between them, with side quests based on relationship variables and conditions chosen earlier in the game, and further branching within each location). The re-playability here is staggering. I think it’ll take most readers several months to get through most major scenarios. The perfect companion for a long pandemic winter!

12 Likes

Oh my WORD. This is going to be absolutely epic!

9 Likes

I hope the demo is available soon, Cakes and Ale could be my next favorite game!

1 Like

Last looking at it on Steam, I have a good 23 hours playing Tally Ho, and I don’t feel remotely worn out by it. With this game, that’s even longer and more complex, the sky is the limit.

4 Likes

I feel like besides choice of rebels, Jolly Good might defeat it like it’s first installment is one million like imagine the rest of the series combine…
Also, while it’s fun for the players I pray that our dear author has enough patience and still have fun writing it since writing THAT many variation must be painful.
(and from what I notice his games are growing bgger and bigger in size. I wonder if he’ll be the first author to code a 1 BILLION game…)

2 Likes

I’d like to play a game of a billion words, the problem is that only one person would take 50 years, a thousand people working at the same time, I think it would be possible

1 Like

I don’t know about you, but I can’t write twenty million words a year–that’s 55,000 words a day.

20 Likes

I guess if the technology used to create AI Dungeon comes more nuanced and user friendly it should be possible to create truly epic word heavy and choice heavy experiences.