Interest Check Thread

I really like the sound of that. The idea of dimension hopping has always seemed like such a cool idea.

2 Likes

Thanks! I would have to decide how much of a role the three lands have in the game and how they might have changed since we last saw them, but it is a concept I think I could adapt well.

1 Like

Okay.

So, I know a lot of gamers are very excited about Cyberpunk 2077 (I myself am tentatively excited about Keanu Reeves, because who isnā€™t?), but the fact is that the game is already problematic and unimaginative in the same ways Cyberpunk 2020 was.

The game will conform to simple gender binaries, even the misogynistic trappings of the Witcher series. Cyberpunk, as a genre, has never been very diverse, despite them being inherently stories about people living on the fringes of society. They have almost always followed a white cis man in an authority role like a cop or a detective (Adam Jensen and Deckard, respectively).

I proposed a grimdark fantasy game about two weeks ago on here, but Iā€™m scrapping that. Iā€™m going to be moving forward with a game Iā€™ve been thinking about making for years. A post-cyberpunk game that is actually diverse, that actually has something to offer about the connection between transhumanism and gender, personal identity and societal expectation.

The future will offer easier access to body modification and maybe that will come at a price, but that doesnā€™t mean the price should be something gross and misinformed like oneā€™s humanity or morality (this is an actual mechanic of Cyberpunk 2020).

Not sure what the story is yet, but I do know what it isnā€™t. Itā€™ll be post-Cyberpunk in the sense that itā€™s hopeful and not entirely misanthropic. It wonā€™t be about an A.I. uprising because the robots-as-metaphors-for-slaves thing is really tired.

Iā€™ll be making a poll sometime this week to narrow down the plot.

13 Likes

Itā€™s an interesting concept, and I think a welcome twist of the typical basis. When I think of cyberpunk, I tend to believe the thematic differences arenā€™t revolved around a gender identity, but simply the diversifying nature of technology itself. That tends to be why most games of that origin have a form of AI conscious-development, since itā€™s a criticism of our dependence for said technology working for us. I like the idea that instead of this, itā€™s more of a personal approach regarding those already marginalized and are not always discussed due to their place typically being out of the role of confrontation in mainstream stories.

2 Likes

Iā€™m having difficulty with choosing a time period for my story. Currently Iā€™m leaning more towards an urban fantasy set in another world but Iā€™ve also considered the other two options below. The story is about a city under siege from vampire-esque monsters and you join a team that is responsible for defending the city. The reason Iā€™m leaning towards urban fantasy is because there would be more of a dystopia-ish vibe with stark contrast between the way people used to live (plenty of electricity, fuel, and food) and the way theyā€™re forced to live with the city on lockdown and limited resources but Iā€™m interested in other opinions.

• Urban/Modern
  • Medieval
  • Victorian

0 voters

4 Likes

This is what I would like opinions on. My gamebook story is a horror mystery. I use this as the prompt for the characters establishing the main plot. The player character is asked to help their friend do something nice for the friendā€™s wife. The wife has left to go see her dying mother who is currently in hospice care. What he requires is help with researching the motherā€™s sister and the sisters family. Theyā€™re looking for details about their lives and the events surrounding their disappearance. Itā€™s then explained that the mother never knew the sister and that she and her family disappeared 33 years ago. The friend would like to do this and give what they find to the mother. Hopefully providing her with some closure.
Does this sound too contrived?

1 Like

I think having disabilities is great, but Iā€™d hesitate at calling it a ā€˜defectā€™. I married a disabled person, and she hated words like that, or like ā€˜crippleā€™.

ā€œChallengeā€ might be a better term. Your ā€˜challengeā€™ is blindness, deafness, etc.

If you do add this, it would be helpful to find people with actual disabilities to talk about the difficulties it causes them in day to day life. For instance, being in a wheelchair has surprising limitations. A single stair step can be an insurmountable obstacle. A narrow hallway can make it impossible to turn around. Definitely worth talking to real people about!

16 Likes

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

1 Like

So Iā€™ve had this general idea for a dinosaur game in my head for a while now and I really want to get it out and try my hand at making it a game. From what Iā€™ve seen so far, there havenā€™t been many games where you get to be a dino and customize your character.

If any of you want to help me then Iā€™ll probably choose around maybe 4-6 people to help with the story and everything. (Iā€™m actually really nervous while typing this up, I donā€™t know why)

6 Likes

I dont think it sounds contrived but there are some parts that donā€™t make sense to me. Like if the mother doesnā€™t know about her sister, then how does the wife know? And what prompts them to want information about the sister?

1 Like

Iā€™m also wondering if anyone would be interested in a zombie survival game. While the main focus of the game Iā€™m working on is story, this other one would be more about survival and seeing how many days into the zombie apocalypse your survivor can make it. Iā€™m aware theres a number of zombie themed games already but mine would be more heavily reliant on your ability to not die. You would learn how to survive with your survivor as the story progresses. For example, you open a door without caution and get munched, and then you learn to not open doors before knocking on them, and so on. You would also have an inventory with food, water, and other items you find while scavenging.

3 Likes

I am always, all in for Zombies

2 Likes

Just a heads up, the majority of the deaf community doesnā€™t consider deafness to be a negative thing, and a lot of them would take offense to it being called a defect. I wanted to tell you now because some might find that surprising and I know most of us here want to portray these sorts of things in tactful manners.

That said, having the MC be deaf/blind/mute is a great idea. It adds another element to the story that we donā€™t often see.

14 Likes

Donā€™t say it donā€™t say it donā€™t say it donā€™t say

Iā€™M MAKING ANOTHER WIP. Dammit. Well, too late now.

Skeletons Canā€™t Press Charges:

Premise:
You are an eighteen year old out on a semi-innocent camping trip with four of your friends and their younger brother. All of you are having a good time by the campfire, smoking or not smoking weed; drinking or not drinking cheap alcohol; and talking about random shit.

Then, out of nowhere, it begins to pour rain. The six of you cram into your friendā€™s SUV and start to make your way back to civilization. Whether by your playful prompting or against your better judgement, your friendā€™s sixteen year old brother decides to drive.

All is going well until a man runs out into the middle of the street and gets run over by the car. Vehicular manslaughter isnā€™t fun for anybody.

Genres:
Thriller, with comedy, romance, and drama as subgenres.

Features:

• Wrestle with life-changing, gut-wrenching decisions throughout the story. Freedom, or justice? Loyalty, or self-preservation?
  • ~ 200k projected wordcount
  • Play as male, female, or non-binary; romance males, females, both, or no one at all
  • 4 ROs: 2 male, 2 female (Felicia, Adorable, Gustavo, and Dustin)

My plan is to post the first chapter in a week or two. Let me know if this sounds interesting to you.

23 Likes

I like the evil dead, I know what you did last summer Flair. Since you mentioned Comedy, I am hoping for a Bit of Tucker and Dale Mixed in.

3 Likes

Look, I wonā€™t do it, but Iā€™d pay to play a game thatā€™s essentially What We Do in the Shadows.

2 Likes

With this premise and your track record for awesome stories sign me up

3 Likes

I voted for Victorian, (even though I think a medieval setting would be very unique & interesting) because 1. I feel like the Victorian aesthetic would go well with the vampire-like monsters and possibly give off a kind of Gothic horror vibe to your game. 2 I feel like not having access to the modern day weapons, technology and tools that we currently have could make the threat of death for us the players greater, and would possibly require us to be smarter survivors. Not to mention it could or would take us out of our comfort zone because we have played multiple games with zombies or other kinds of monsters and we are usually in a modern day setting where we have access to tools we are already familiar with thanks to seeing it in movies or past games and we already have some idea of what weapons or technology we know we need to survive in that setting. While it wouldnā€™t be as easy to plan ahead in Victorian or Medieval setting.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been meaning to reply this, but always forgot that this thread exists. Anywayā€¦

To add perspective:
Based on my own research, Medieval period (namely early-middle era) lends itself to the dystopian theme youā€™re aiming for: lavish lifestyle for everyone higher than peasants, cheapskate for those who arenā€™t ā€“ including the peasants.

Victorian would lean more towards its mysticism while maintaining unique traces of civilization. Like Urban-Fantasy, but less deserted and plain cities/towns.

This doesnā€™t mean I dislike modern/urban, AoT but with tanks would be kool, but I guess I just loaThE UrbAN fANtAsy? Ahem. Definitely based on research and not biased at all.

3 Likes

@Baphometra my question is what do you want to write? Which setting would you enjoy writing about more? Iā€™ve always tried to take in other peoples opinions, thoughts and ideas but I still write the stories that i want to write first and foremost. If you choose something that you enjoy then youā€™re much more likely to produce a better work.

3 Likes