We wont Be able to play as a male?
Fixed
Thank you. I only play as my gender so it’s a relief.
I have been a part of this community for a number of years, though I have just recently officially joined the forums. While there is a striking amount of variety in both Choice of Games and Hosted Games, there is a distinct lack of any racing themed games. I understand why, as it can be difficult to make a multiple decision story for such a topic, but I think that someone in this community can do. In my opinion, it would be a manager story, likely about a Formula One team, one could be a 2-3 season story so that your team can grow. For improvements to your car, I would take inspiration from the Kepler fund allocation system, and I feel like some part of this could be like the dice system of Breach. I could think of more, but this can hopefully start a conversation and help someone start a story.
Hi! I have always loved choice of games and me and my sister have decided to create one of our own! My sister will be writing it and I will be doing the coding and editing. The only problem is that we have too many ideas. So we decided to ask the cog community which game that they would enjoy the most. Please feel free to ask any questions and let us know what you think! We currently have four ideas so far here is their title and a brief summary of each:
-
The Lonely Woods:
After your parents tumultuous divorce, you and your father have moved back into his hometown of Norston, isolated in a small valley surrounded by deep forest and towering mountains. Things seem normal at first, as you enter into your senior year at a new school, that quickly changes. An inability to move on from the past, whispered conversations by adults who seem to know more than they let on, strange disappearances never spoken of in polite company, and a warning to never enter the woods at night, all speak of sinister things happening below the town’s mundane surface. Will you and your new friends be able to solve the mystery? Or is this town doomed to be lost in the darkness forever?
-
Cardinal Skies:
You are a Scout from the City of Greyhearth, a fortress in the wasteland the world has become. Ever since the Infernal first rose 300 years ago, the world has changed dramatically, with pockets of civilizations clinging on to survival. Your job as a Scout is simple- travel between these strongholds, bringing communications, and clearing out infections from overrun areas inbetween. This very mission led you to the Castle Morbridge, an isolated nobles home on an island in the Sangiri Lake. This is where you wake up, in ruins and decay, surrounded by the bodies of the infernal, and a strange bracelet that shimmers with power. Unable to remove the bracelet, and hearing its whispers in your head, you must travel to find the quarry that you failed to kill- to what end, only time will tell.
-
A Paragon of Justice:
1 year ago, Paragon, savior of the people and an icon of the New Elysium, was found dead. Only recently was his death opened up as a murder. You are one of the few people to learn about this, for you were brought in to solve his death. Without powers in a city of heroes, and tensions simmering among Paragon’s former teammates, will you be able to uncover the killer? Or is there something far greater going on than anyone knows?
-
The Mantle of Destiny:
In a world of heroes, your life is surprisingly normal. Eat, sleep, go to school, hang out with your friends, and try to avoid the superhero scuffle of the day. This changes one night, when suddenly you find yourself with incredible abilities. Soon after you meet Zephyr, an important hero in the city, who informs you that his powers have selected you as his successor. Thrust into a world of superheros, you must learn how to control your new powers, and live up to your legacy, all while hiding it from your mundane life. All the while, a new threat awakes, lingering at the edges of minds, ready to create a new reality. Are you up for the task set ahead of you? Or will you crumble under the mantle of destiny?
- The Lonely Woods
- Cardinal Skies
- A Paragon of Justice
- Mantle of Destiny
0 voters
I am interested in all of them in the following order:
The Mantle of Destiny
A Paragon of Justice
The Lonely Woods
Cardinal Skies
Good luck on whatever you and your sister choose! I’m excited to hear about your WIP whenever you start it.
While I find them all appealing, my two clear favourites are The Mantle of Destiny and Cardinal Skies. If you twisted my arm, I’d have to go for The Mantle of Destiny as my absolute favourite.
Still, whatever you choose to write, I’m sure it’ll turn out great.
I am actually quite partial to A Paragon of Justice over The Mantle of Destiny. I’m a big fan of games that thrust you into a role uncommon for the genre, and a powerless investigator in a world full of heroes seems like an interesting perspective to explore.
Cardinal Skies would probably be my second choice, but really, all four ideas have potential. I’m tentatively interested in whatever you two decide.
On the contrary I am not a fan of this type of game: where everyone has super powers but you. Has these types of stories tend to make me feel well…powerless, and well I don’t like being powerless.
But @CorvusWitchcraft I see why you are interested in this game idea. As long as the writers don’t make the reader feel left out and miles behind the superhero’s then I might consider it.
But personally I’m much more interested in:
But first I need to know what powers the MC gets!
Could you be evil in the mantel of destiny?
You should build a poll to know the majority opinion. Here is a page to help you do that or Google “How to build a poll in bbcode”:
What’s wonderful about the idea, however, is that, if the story is told well, the MC is not really powerless at all. As the character in charge of determining who or what is responsible for Paragon’s death, you actually hold some level of authority over the powered individuals, in a strange way. Potential threats to your well-being aside, it’s within most of their best interests to cooperate with you, and so long as the MC is safeguarded in a meaningful way (which seems likely, given their role), it would actually be quite difficult for them to strike at you without digging themselves deeper.
They may have extraordinary abilities, but you’re the one who ultimately holds their fates in your hands.
What’s more, the premise seems built around the very idea of finding ways to poke at the truth without the extra bells and whistles, relying on good old-fashioned detective work in a world where the means of killing are so much more varied than in the real world.
It’s a very different kind of power, the kind that comes from being the one person capable of doing a job, even when others are more physically adept than you—but it’s a form of power nonetheless, the kind you don’t often see in this sort of story. That is what I find so intriguing.
Of course, like I said, I’d be content with any of the four, so if people are leaning toward Mantle of Destiny I am okay with that.
@DarkKnight and @Isabella_Slezak actually, you can create a poll by hitting the gear icon in the formatting menu:
And then hit the “build poll” option:
And then you should see this menu, and you can mess around with all sorts of options to customize your poll!
I’m interested in 2,3 & 4. They sound fascinating😀.
Thanks for the interest! For the Mantle of Destiny the power set you get is flying, super strength, and invulnerability.
I can definitely understand your hesitation about A Paragon of Justice. The detective is meant to be at a disadvantage compared to the superheroes of the city. But the detective is also powerful in their own right, they have just cultivated their skills-skills that you can choose!-over time. And having their different perspective allows them to see things that the superhero’s don’t.
I hope this helps!
Yes! You can be evil!
Anyone here who is a byzantinophile?
I know a lot about the history you are asking about ![]()
Me! I’m not massively well-informed (I know a lot more about Old Rome than New Rome!), but I’d definitely read anything Byzantium-flavoured.
Alright, since it looks like The Mantle of Destiny stands a strong chance of winning the poll, I’ve got a query of my own. Will we have the option to play as somebody who wants nothing to do with the world of heroics and feels forced into it? Because the thing that does appeal to me about the premise is the idea of an ordinary teenager suddenly being thrust into a world they’re entirely unprepared for, and I’d hope to be able to lean into that in the narrative.
Also:
Is it safe to say that these are set in stone? Because I will be honest and say that this powerset sounds very generic to me, and not especially interesting to explore. I understand the need to keep the available powers limited to avoid too much branching, but is there any possibility of developing other powers?



