Interest Check Thread

Hi everyone!

I’ve been working on this story for a while now and I’ve avoided posting about it here because I’m nervous no one will be interested. It means a lot to me; the characters have been living in my head rent-free for ages and it’s been such a joy bringing them to life. I’ve come to realize that the story can only benefit from feedback at this point, so I would greatly appreciate anything you have to say about it.

Title (tentative): Worlds Only Reached by Light

Genre: low-fantasy, soft sci-fi, post-apocalyptic

Synopsis: In a world where magic developed alongside technology, a series of cascading apocalyptic disasters nearly wiped out all of humanity. The few survivors managed to band together, battling the onslaught of strange and violent creatures who emerged from the fissures between your reality and another. Magic-wielders were instrumental in establishing order amidst such chaos, and eventually small settlements were built. Over time, those settlements developed into bustling, autonomous city-states.

It has been 200 years since those fateful days, and you are an initiate studying in one of the oldest and most-respected city-states. Will you focus on your magical abilities, become a soldier, or dedicate your life to civil service?

One day, you stumble upon an ancient relic from the past: a portal to another world. In the old days, these portals were used frequently, serving as gateways to cultural exchange, commerce, political dealings, even war. It had been thought they were all destroyed in the Great Catastrophes. Your government is interested in revitalizing these old connections with your sister-world.

You are sent on a mission alone to explore the secrets on the other side of the portal, but what is the government not telling you? Unlock the hidden mysteries of your people’s troubled past, engage with foreign cultures, navigate political intrigue, and battle interdimensional monsters.

MC: play as male, female, or non-binary; with options to be gay, straight, bi, or ace.

Yes, there are romantic options. Only two so far, with the possibility of expanding to four. I want to make sure the characters are fully-fleshed and interesting.

Notes: I’ve tried to be very conscious of avoiding the “Chosen One” trope, because I know we’re all so tired of it. However, I had to come up with reasons you’re the only one sent on the mission, and why they chose you. Hopefully I’ve managed to dance on the line between “you’re special but not that special” effectively.

Anyway, please let me know what you think, for better or for worse. Your feedback is much appreciated:)

36 Likes