Interest Check Thread

Thanks, I will see if I can work around it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would definitely want to play this

2 Likes

As a non-binary person: it’s usually best not to just throw in a non-binary person for the sake of having one. I would also recommend that if you wish to have a non-binary character, they should be fully human and not restricted from having reproductive organs like the rest of the population. A common and harmful trope in representation of non-binary people is that we are constantly depicted as non-human. If a piece of media elects to have a character with they/them pronouns, they are almost always an alien or supernatural creature of some sort - something non-human. This suggests that non-binary people are in essence not human or less than human. So writing your only non-binary character as a half-dragon who literally cannot have sex would be a major faux pas.

Otherwise, I like your concept! I like the idea that you can pull the characters to your side or be forced to fight against them, and that makes for a really interesting story. I love magical settings, so that’s a big plus. I hope to see more about this in the future, and I’d definitely be interested in checking it out.

7 Likes

I would also like to add that this

suggests gender is exclusively tied to genitals, which is untrue and quite offensive to trans folk.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’m thinking I really don’t understand this issue well enough, so it’s better if I just don’t make any attempt at it.

1 Like

@PlagueCodex

Not understanding something is okay! That’s what asking questions are for. :slight_smile:

Research can be time-consuming, though. And no representation is better than non-researched representation, imo. But if you’re still interested in adding a NB character, here are some helpful threads around the forum you might want to take a gander at:

Gender-Neutral Pronoun Guide

Differences in Portrayals of NB/Trans/Cis Characters

Non-human nonbinary characters

Oh, and good luck with End of an Empire. The setting sounds pretty neat, and I like the idea of trying to stop the decline of a beleaguered nation. Playing one character that leads to another is also an interesting concept.

5 Likes

Thanks for the resources! I’ve already been asking a lot of people in other forums and Discords, and such. There’s been a lot of helpful people, but it’s kind of clear I’m really ignorant on the topic. I’m not really comfortable writing an enby character yet, but I think that’s just inherent prejudices and lack of experience. I’ll practice with it a bit and see if I can normalize it for myself!

5 Likes

I just think it would be really cool thats all. I’m not a programmer in the slightest so I could never make it but I just wanted to put the idea out there for anyone that likes the concept and would wanna do it :slight_smile:

Imagine choosing your profession which dictates the priorit your given, imagine having to manage your reputation so they don’t kick you out or kill you while cults form due to the crazy people who have been underground too long . Imagine learning that the bunker is slowly failing and deciding weather to save yourself and damn everyone else or let them know and panic the bunker.

This has never been done on a choice gane before and I dont recall it ever being done in gaming in general. Might be wrong about that though. Either way its a pretty unexplored concept so hopefully I kickstarted any creative writers to pursue jt!!

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re referring to by “pretty unexplored concept”? I don’t mean to be offensive, but it’s definitely not an apocalyptic setting, jobs-as-value-in-society, urban planning, or reputation management, right? I really want to know what you’re trying to say, but it’s a bit unclear…

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure what the premise is (maybe explain it a tad bit more?) but it kinda sounds like Fallout 4. You should still make it regardless of if its been done somewhere else, those games are always fun. And I know nothing about programming either, but ChoiceScript makes it ridiculously easy to code, so it is doable! You just have to devote a solid 4 ish hours to learning it, and then you’re set.

1 Like

I would say its like metro in terms of the different factions that pop up, and no it wouldn’t be a micromanage your subterranean society game haha. That would just be the backdrop but the MC would be involved in a much larger story such as returning to the surface and finding out it was never uninhabitable at all or deciding weather to save himself and doon the rest of the bunkerfolk. I’ve only had this idea of a game for a few hours so I’m just putting thoughts out there lol, i could never do it tho, I did programing in school and hated it. But you never know someone might see this post and run with the concept so I posted it for that reason

1 Like

Hey, everyone! Chirp me a Story is basically the idea of an adventure through a medieval fantasy setting as a small bird-like creature, a professional storyteller looking for fresh ideas.

But I’ll just let my synopsis speak for itself:

Synopsis

You are a young and ambitious storyteller, but lately you are uninspired and all the stories your village ever wants to hear are about the adventures of your clans old hero Curcoon. You are certain that your creativity is suffering under the monotone daily grind and that you need to make a change. So you decide to leave your village as the first one in centuries. If you will return as a legend however, will remain to be seen.

Chirp me a Story is a project I want to use to learn the CoG script. It is set in my fictional world Aestricca (medieval fantasy) and is supposed to serve as a small teaser to the main story I actually wanted to code but realised I have no idea how to write an IF and well… code.

As a small bird-like creature of the south, you live a very sheltered and uneventful life in your small village. Your kind has never before bothered with the troubles of the other races and therefore know very little of the world outside your territory. Afterall, there is no reason for them to leave, but for you it presents a rather tempting chance of adventure. Just imagine the stories you could tell when you get back home! Should you be able to return in one piece that is, because the world outside your village is anything but safe.

Set out Storyteller and meet other adventurers, magic quills, deceitful Spirits; gods and other creatures, Kings and Kingdoms and perhaps even the great Curcoon himself. It is up to you what stories you want to tell and how you will recite them in your book. You are the author storyteller and it is your choice.

Yeah, that’s basically it.

English isn’t my first language and I am a very, very slow writer, but I thought the hell with it, I try it anyway if people are interested in it. So, yes, I initially planned this project as a way for me to learn to write an IF, but knowing myself it will explode into a full on project anyway, so I thought to ask for opinions first, before I’ll write/code a demo.

Let me know what you think! Motivate me or ask questions, all welcome xD

31 Likes

ooh that sounds really adorable!

I like the idea of small birdy creatures :smiley:
Also good on you for making a smaller game as a test run first x) (should’ve done the same lol)

I look forward to seeing more of this already :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yay, I’m glad you like it :heart:

When I first started out with the idea, I wondered what creature would be best to represent a storyteller and birds certainly have a long breath for it haha. And yeah, I thought it cute as well :smiley:

I hope to get on well with the demo, at least it got a title already, so that’s something!

5 Likes

Small bird creature you say? I’m in. Time to head canon Pigeon.

2 Likes

is studying latin: “Salve, Jeff est nomen meum”
room starts shaking, demon crawls out from under your bed
“Woah”

12 Likes

God damn it, not again.

7 Likes

I’m thinking of making a game where you serve as a time traveling do-gooder of sorts. Rather, you travel throughout history, taking part in the grandest battles of history, from the Siege of Orleans to the Battle of Hastings to the Battle of Gettysburg and more(probably 6-8 battles total). But there’s a twist. YOU affect who wins the battle, changing the course of history. Would that be something worth making?

11 Likes

I rewatched the planet of the apes trilogy (modern) and I couldn’t help but imagine a game set in that universe, if you could play your own ceasar. You could make a 3 part book trilogy for each event (dawn,rise,war,liberation). Im not a coder so I could only hope someone picks the idea up. So yeah :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be a new take I think, the player would get to make changes to real-life events…the question is do we get a glimpse of the aftermath?

We know who won those battles and how things turned out, but if we make the opposite choice do we get a development of how that choice affects stuff?

2 Likes