Interest Check Thread

Well, well, whale. You can definitely check me up as interested! I think this sounds rather cool/fun :grinning:

2 Likes

Ah, I’m glad that I found someone else who’s a total sucker for games like these!
I’ll try my best, thanks for the feedback. <3

3 Likes

ah, pun intended i’m guessing? good one. thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Redemption of the Valkyrie.

(very) basic summary: after losing your innocence, your bond (later explained as a companion) and your status as a Valkyrie, you’re casted away from the home you once knew. Do you fight for your redemption? Or explore your new found freedom? The choice is yours!

the story is about a (gender locked) female. You’re able to choose your sexuality and name!
I’m afraid if I added more it’d be spoiling the plot (lol)
4 romances are planned. 2 male and 2 female. However, I’ll think about adding flings if the player isn’t interested in romantic relationships.
The demo is currently 2k words.

I need some thoughts on how interesting this story sounds so far? Or if I’m just wasting my time completely (lol)
Also, would any of you have any tips on how to correctly, (and formally) execute a battle scene?

16 Likes

See this thread;

5 Likes

Venice: The Tide Traveler

It’s the year 2076. After more than a century of slow subsidence, started in the 1920s, Venice has completely sunk into the lagoon. Its inhabitants have now left, and all that can be seen is the top part of the Saint Mark’s Bell Tower. Some cruise boats still come by, selling the odd experience of watching the beautiful churches and basilicas through the water – which you can also snorkel to, like an odd coral reef.

You were born in 2053, on an artificial island in the Adriatic Sea, from a displaced Venetian family. Your heritage includes dukes, gondoliers, merchants, farmers, wood-workers, fishing workers, travelers, artists, but you have never seen the fabled city your family tells you about: Venice is now lost to the water.

Still, there is hope. You are part of the Tide travelers, a group of scientists and researchers tasked with the goal of preventing this disaster and saving Venice from sinking. On your first day of training, you meet one of highest-ranking officers, Marco Polo. Rumors say that Marco is now about 130-year old. You remember reading the narration of his travels to the four corners of Asia, but meeting him in person is really a great surprise, and a great honor.

He starts explaining that the Tide travelers have access to time travel, and he plans to send you back to specific key events in the Venetian history, so you can influence them and hopefully steer Venice’s fate to a better ending. And yes, he agrees with you that the name “the Tide travelers” is a bad water-based pun on “time”.

Goals of the game

In the game, you’ll have to try to maintain a balance between three key factors:

Tourism
  • While tourism can destroy Venice’s soul, it’s crucial as a source of income, and to bring visibility (and resources) to Venice’s problems.
  • In the worst scenario, where tourism fully overtakes any other concern, a cruise ship crashes into St. Mark’s square and destroys the historical Duke’s Palace.
  • With no tourism, Venice is forgotten and disappears from the world’s map. There will be no resources for art conservation or to protect the city from the rising water.
Production activities
  • Historically, Venice has been a harbor, hosting trade and commercial activities. Still today, the harbor in nearby Marghera is a site of chemical production. Other activities included naval construction, glass making, a flour mill, and a large production of wood matches.
  • With production maxed out, there’ll be a large industrial accident, a fire or oil spill.
  • With no production, all residents will leave, and Venice will become a theme park.
Environment, local residents
  • Local residents keep Venice alive. Also, the lagoon and its delicate ecosystem must be protected.
  • Politics supporting rent control can defend residents. Initiative to reduce pollution and manufacturing will preserve the lagoon.
  • When this parameter goes to zero, larger and larger tide events will keep covering Venice, slowly destroying its building.
  • When this goes to max, tourism and production are badly impacted, eventually reducing the available resources.

Key events (to be researched)

Key events (to be researched)
  • Older historical events?
  • Opening of Porto Marghera, and the beginning of the chemical industry (1922)
  • Closing of Molino Stucky, the flour mill (1955)
  • Closing of Saffa, the wood matches factory (1950s?)
  • Great tide of 1966.
  • A channel for large tank ships to Marghera is dug (1980s?) affecting the water flow.
  • Venice relaxes restriction to open up hotels, booming of hotel industry (1990s)
  • The Fenice Theater burns down (1996?)
  • Venice opens up to cruise ships (2000s?)
  • Loophole found in the laws about artisanal activities, booming of mask and glass shops (2000s)
  • Beginning of the construction of the mobile dam MOSE to prevent high tide (2003)
  • Venice relaxes restrictions to open up new restaurant (2010s)
  • AirBnb, explosion of available housing for tourism (2008)
  • Tide events of 2019.
  • COVID pandemics of 2020
  • Some made-up future event?

Game dynamics

You can choose to travel to specific time events and steer them in the right direction. It’s not all butterflies and rainbows, you will need to compromise and maybe tolerate cruise ships.

Puzzles and time paradoxes

Time permitting, I’ll incorporate a few puzzles to collect key information to complete your task and change the events. For instance, you can prevent the tide in 2019 if you can figure out how to start the MOSE dam (light switch puzzle). You’ll also go through the maze of the crypt in St. Mark’s basilica. Why? I don’t know yet, but I have the code :slight_smile: I’ll let users choose the complexity level and/or make the puzzles fully optional.

Given the time travel component, I’d like to build in some time paradox. E.g. you find a note with some information, which you use when you go back in time. But you are the one that wrote the note, after you did what was suggested in the note itself!

Game development

This is a large project, and I want to make sure this goes somewhere.

I think I’ll start with a tracer bullet implementation. You can go back to all those events, choose yes or no, and see what happens. Each event will alter one of the three key factors, and there will be a few different endings for some of the configurations.

I’ve enlisted a friend, who will help with some research, and I will use that to flesh out some of the episodes described in the game.

Well, I’m still at the very earliest stage. Let me know if you have ideas and suggestions. Down the line, contributions to writing would be also great! Have a great weekend.

16 Likes

I voted “no personality” but I wasn’t sure what it meant exactly. My brain is weird today :upside_down_face:.

4 Likes

Please can you revote, I made a mistake in the details

2 Likes

I voted again. I also encountered an error when choosing “Reuben”, as well as Harley (bad label), and Quinn (bad label). Is there a reason curvaceous isn’t selectable, by the way? I saw it was greyed out when in creation. Otherwise, this wasn’t bad! I look forward to future updates to get a better feel for the story. :slight_smile:
error

3 Likes

Ah. So it’s like Naughty Dog’s Uncharted.

Yep, definitely has that Uncharted vibe, and I love it! I love it even more if you embody a Nathan Drake as one of your characters!

I’ve followed your other projects, like the maze and light switch puzzle, and I have to admit I was anticipating for you to create a full project (now it’s here, yey!)

It’s good that you have a solid foundation for your world building, but I’m concerned on your Key events. It’s a bit… too stretched out? Unless you plan on picking one or two from the list, I would suggest you segregate them into different books.

Nevertheless, I hope to read what you have in store for us soon!

3 Likes

Books? As in more than one? I should sell the rights to the trilogy before it’s too late. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the idea, I’ll start fleshing out a couple of the events and see where it takes me.

2 Likes

Hi @HunterBlack, congrats on the design. The layout is really elegant. How did you do that? I thought you couldn’t upload styles on dashingdon. How did you change the next button to say things like “21 years later”.

Does the demo end after you complete all the multiple character selections?
Personally, I’d prefer to be given something mostly autogenerated and to jump directly into the story (or with the choice to adjust).

By the way, I also hit a bad label (“grappling”).

Keep going, the background story is compelling.

2 Likes

Hey y’all. Been a lurker and reader for a while on here! I’ve finally decided to write a game! As of now, I’m still learning the coding system, but I have the basic idea of the game down along with some of the characters and setting.

The game is in an urban fantasy setting at Arawn Academy, a hidden school for young animal shapeshifters to learn to control their powers. You play as Mcintosh (it’s the canon last name, first name and gender are customizable), a new student with a secret. Unlike the other shapeshifters, they can take on multiple animal forms. When a fellow student goes missing as the fog rolls in, it’s up to you, your classmates and friends to investigate the similar disappearances going on around town.

Gameplaywise, the idea is that it’s a bit like the Persona games. You have real-life events to attend during the day, but at night you can investigate the warped version of the town you’re living in. I’m still new to coding, so the initial options will be limited, but hopefully, they can make an impact if that’s the case.
The party members will also have their own events you can help them with. I’m still on the fence with making some of them incompatible depending on players’ attraction choice, but that’s still up for changing, not married to that idea yet. Speaking of the characters, here’s a few of them.

Chase Holiday: A stubborn and steadfast guy with the animal form of a mountain goat. Considered a ditz by his classmates and teachers, Holiday’s real strength is his determination to gain control of his powers and reenter the competitive track world and make it to the Olympics.

Abby Aashirya: A talented and aloof girl, Abigail or Abby as she’s known by her friends, seeks adoration through her watercolor pieces. Never seen without her paint-splattered overalls and lucky brush, Abby is considered out of touch with the rest of the world. Her skill extends to her animal form; a hawk, as she is graceful and quick in her movements in the air.

Jordan Leto: Around the school, Jordan is hardly seen. Aside from showing up to class, gym practice, and lunch, they never seem to stay around much. No one has heard them speak or even make much noise. Always wearing that brown, baggy hoodie, suspenders, and other mismatched clothing. Their room is always closed, but students who have looked in briefly saw computer monitors with security feeds of the school and town.

So that’s it. I’m still in the very early stages of this WIP to the point where I don’t even have a name for it yet. What do y’all think? Any suggestions, ideas or do you just hate it in general?

13 Likes

For the button text, if you do this:

*page_break "Insert Text Here"

The button will say: “Insert Text Here”

You don’t need " and " for it.

On another note, anyone interested in a fantasy game about revenge?

Summary

Have you ever desired something so greatly that you would give up everything—everyone dear to you to obtain it, to keep it, when offered to you?

You went from a street urchin, abandoned for the magic in your veins, to indentured servant for a mercenary company at the age of 8, just to survive. You faced the pain of training for years before becoming a full mercenary, though still indentured, at 18. You worked for years to whittle your debt down so you could be free. Finally, you fought in a war for someone you came to trust and love. You promised everything to him.

He took everything you offered and exchanged it for power. You were left for dead, your blood running over the ground. You were dying when the Grim Reaper offered you another chance to live, but it came at a price.

Vengeance.

Sample:

Is it really that simple?

You open your mouth to speak, but the Grim Reaper cuts you off.

“There is not much time left. I can only offer this to you while your body still lives,” they say, pointedly looking in the direction of the man and your body.

The deep frown on your face turns into a grimace. You don’t like being hurried to make such a choice, even if it’s warranted.

“I can assure you, it is as it sounds. If you agree to the deal to get revenge and you get revenge, you will live,” the Reaper pauses before continuing, “But if you refuse the deal or fail to uphold the deal for revenge, you will die. What do you choose?”

An unfamiliar feeling spreads in your chest. Perhaps it’s multiple emotions. Perhaps your heart is about to stop beating and you can feel it happening. You can’t quite decipher what it is.

You cast one last glance at your body before your eyes move to the stranger trying to save you. Finally, you turn back to the Reaper… and make your choice.

“I accept your deal. I’ll get revenge in exchange for my life.”

The Grim Reaper gives a single nod and raises a cloth covered hand, magical light already swirling around it like a translucent mist in the wind, “Then it is a deal.”

You hesitate for a brief moment, then take the Reaper’s hand.

The magic encircles you both.

11 Likes

Hey y’all. Been a lurker and reader for a while on here! I’ve finally decided to write a game! As of now, I’m still learning the coding system, but I have the basic idea of the game down along with some of the characters and setting.

The game is in an urban fantasy setting at Arawn Academy, a hidden school for young animal shapeshifters to learn to control their powers. You play as Mcintosh (it’s the canon last name, first name and gender are customizable), a new student with a secret. Unlike the other shapeshifters, they can take on multiple animal forms. When a fellow student goes missing as the fog rolls in, it’s up to you, your classmates and friends to investigate the similar disappearances going on around town.

Gameplaywise, the idea is that it’s a bit like the Persona games. You have real-life events to attend during the day, but at night you can investigate the warped version of the town you’re living in. I’m still new to coding, so the initial options will be limited, but hopefully, they can make an impact if that’s the case.
The party members will also have their own events you can help them with. I’m still on the fence with making some of them incompatible depending on players’ attraction choice, but that’s still up for changing, not married to that idea yet. Speaking of the characters, here’s a few of them.

Chase Holiday: A stubborn and steadfast guy with the animal form of a mountain goat. Considered a ditz by his classmates and teachers, Holiday’s real strength is his determination to gain control of his powers and reenter the competitive track world and make it to the Olympics.

Abby Aashirya: A talented and aloof girl, Abigail or Abby as she’s known by her friends, seeks adoration through her watercolor pieces. Never seen without her paint-splattered overalls and lucky brush, Abby is considered out of touch with the rest of the world. Her skill extends to her animal form; a hawk, as she is graceful and quick in her movements in the air.

Jordan Leto: Around the school, Jordan is hardly seen. Aside from showing up to class, gym practice, and lunch, they never seem to stay around much. No one has heard them speak or even make much noise. Always wearing that brown, baggy hoodie, suspenders, and other mismatched clothing. Their room is always closed, but students who have looked in briefly saw computer monitors with security feeds of the school and town.

So that’s it. I’m still in the very early stages of this WIP to the point where I don’t even have a name for it yet. What do y’all think? Any suggestions, ideas or do you just hate it in general?

16 Likes

I think your post would fare better at the Interest Check Thread.

Also, does it have to be Mcintosh? Sounds like an apple product :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

4 Likes

Oof, you’re right, it does sound product placementish! Any suggestions? Also, thanks, I’ll see if I can slap this post up in the Interest Check Thread!

2 Likes

By the way, I really like the idea. About the name, idk, it’s up to you. I was joking.

2 Likes

Hello, people! I’ve been toying with the idea of a game where the player takes control of a teenage MC and spends the week in a cabin in the woods with their friends. You can probably guess where this is going but I’ll continue anyway, a secret killer tries to end everyone’s lives and the MC makes choices that could contribute to the death toll or shorten it. Every single main character can live or die, based solely on the players decisions, both intentional and not. There will be RO’s, a friendship/enemy system, and you can even help the killer!

It’s obviously very bare-bones at the moment, but does this pique anyone’s interest?

15 Likes

@Jakeblinked right here 🙋 it definitely piqued my interest. I also love that you can save everyone’s asses or go team up with the secret killer ( * laughs in evil *). Anyway I love your concept, keep 'em coming. All the best :+1:

4 Likes