Interest Check { possibly controversial}

That was weird thing game allowed you to become a full blown planter/slave holder and fly by the decades. Thing about slavery very small amount of people that own slaves but one that did they own large number of them and ingrained that society as several symbols of success.

No I’m black and I am actually quite pleasantly surprised to see that people are actually concerned about who is making the story, why it’s being made and how I intend to craft it. I don’t have the answers if exactly how I will go about it I simply wanted to see if there was an interest. But my purpose would be to tell an interesting series of personal stories within the context of thr larger historical theme of Chattle slavery from the 17th century to the 19th century. And I I right this correctly I will be able to show different perspectives of people during the time. I may give choices to move beyond historical confines in certain aspects, but I really want to be as accurate as possible with out shoehorning people. So as you can see there is alot to juggle so I’m going to make a checklist and start small with one main character who will probably be a slave.

6 Likes

Yes I want to have a slave, a slaver, a slave masters child, a Freeman and etc and I will give the option to choose race and gender where it makes sense.

2 Likes

… Can I be a rich to well off freeman?

Interracial?

So is this going to span generations or multiple pov’s at the same time?

You had just about the opposite reaction I would’ve had. I dislike the “belong to x group” argument and ignore it or go passive aggressive even if I belong to the “right one”

1 Like

Yes to all of this!!! you can have it be a generational Saga following all the family back from their separate continents to the Americas!

1 Like

So it is going to be the generational Saga?I

Just want to say I love this idea. My degree is in Sociology, but I’ve learned a fair amount about Africana studies through college courses. If the person creating this piece put the right amount of research and work into it (and it would be quite a lot of historical research) I think it could be really informative and immersive. It’s a story that people often shy away from, but when it’s told in its complete truth it will be well-received. Don’t be deterred from trying, just take your time with it :blush: my suggestion would be to look at Black American authors’ work and slave narratives like Frederick Douglass (if the story takes place in the US). There’s sooo much available to read. I would really appreciate this as a historical fiction as a Black American.

3 Likes

If you intend on writing the game for your own enjoyment, then by all means, go for it, and feel free to publish it on the forums (though I would recommend leaving a warning if the game contains any controversial content.) If, however, you plan on submitting the game to the Hosted Games label, I would advise being careful with how graphic the game is, as some platforms (like GooglePlay and the App Store) would be reluctant to publish certain content that they find unsuitable.

3 Likes

It was definitely a challenge writing about slavery, but yes, it’s a lot easier when it’s so long ago and it’s a good proxy to think about slavery and putting the reader in the shoes of a slave.

@Savoy_Collier
I think a great first step would be to dedicate time to researching on the topic. It would be really helpful to read all the articles about slavery in that time period/context, get as many points of views as possible. Watch documentaries and movies and all kinds of materials to really try to understand the issue and context. So at the very least, you can present an issue that is realistic to it’s time.

Another thing to look out for is that modern readers have a totally different world view from the time you are referencing. For example, perhaps back then it was okay to kill slaves for entertainment. Now, that would be completely outrageous. So being mindful of that, and making sure you don’t glorify things that would be frowned upon today (no matter how celebrated it was back then) might be something you would want to consider!

If you want to talk it through, or ask me any questions, I’ll be happy to help! (disclaimer: I’m no expert hahaha)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.